M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a new Triumph 675 Daytona. Very very sweet bike. We were on a ride and we came up to a stop sign. He revved, I smiled. I let him fan the clutch first, then I dropped the hammer. And I mean HAMMER. Holy Heyzuz, with my exhaust drilled out and slightly worn blacktop, the 109 put on a show of sight and sound for the bikes behind us, I only wish I had been watching instead of riding. My tire lit up as I jumped maybe 2-3 bikes ahead. I actually thought my clutch may have been slipping, and I was slightly bummed thinking I'd done one too many launches. But actually, when it started to get a little out of shape and started catching traction at the power peak, I knew all was well. I shifted and pulled 2 more lengths. At the end of 3rd I was solidly 6-10 bikes ahead. When we got to the next stop everyone pulled up laughing the arses off at how cool it all was - not really at the expense of the 675 rider.  As a point of reference for you. I was riding the 675 later. Me and my friend on an 06 GSX-R750 did several 1st gear roll-ons from like 5 MPH. The 675 went even-steven with the 750 in the first couple gears. We backed off due to traffic, and surely the 750 would start stretching it's legs shortly after that, but I'm simply backing up an earlier thread that when driven correctly, the M109 is almost unbeatable by a stock sportbike in the first few gears. HOWEVER (my favorite disclaimer) a skilled sportbike drag racer type who is willing to smoke his clutch may still take the 109, but they are few and far between. It takes a cool head to drag a sportbike. All it takes is balls to launch the 109 properly. This bike is getting funner all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
bollert said:
the M109 is almost unbeatable by a stock sportbike in the first few gears.
You must mean a small to middleweight sportbike, because a 1000cc or higher will make mince meat out of a 109, and lets not forget the 109 is a 1800cc motorcycle, your engine is almost 3 times larger than that 675's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigBoreBiker said:
You must mean a small to middleweight sportbike, because a 1000cc or higher will make mince meat out of a 109, and lets not forget the 109 is a 1800cc motorcycle, your engine is almost 3 times larger than that 675's.
Going out on a limb and saying any Supersport. I'll modify my statement to exclude the Busa as I see you have one, and maybe a bike more straightline inclined like ZX-14, Blackbird, etc. But any of the racer-reps are extremely hard to launch. Trust me, I know. My last was a 04 ZX-10R. Crazy fast, but the wheelbase and geometry requires an almost precision launch, slipping the clutch excessively to keep the torque going to the wheel, but avoiding a wheelie. Wheelies happen fast on a 54-55 inch wheelbase, even moreso on a literbike. Even my Buell XB-12R with low-revving big torque is difficult, again because of the wheelbase. So no disrespect, and I'm not trying to sound like a blockhead who doesn't know my butt from a hole in the ground. I'm just trying to empower some folks to have some fun with the 109. It's a no-lose situation - if you win, "holy sheeeet that thing is fast", but if you lose, everyone expected you to lose anyway. :bigthumbsup: Again, I'm just talking a short 3 gear street race, not a full 1/4 mile deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,763 Posts
sweet story...gotta love it!!
 
G

·
i know my 109 is fast for a cruiser but my 06 gsxr 1000 will toast my 109 in any gear at any time i agree that i will prob beat a 600 or poss 750 and i even raced a older 929 and kept up with him the most he got on me was 3 bikes i was impressed but my 1000 no way
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
There are definitely more knuckleheads around here on sport bikes than not.... prolly about 80% could'nt launch a toy boat in the bath tub let alone a 130+ hp sport bike... Your right the 109 will eat some sport bikes no matter what they are cause it's usually some wanna be thats lined up next to you  :bigthumbsup:

get r done  :pop:

khrome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
BigBoreBiker said:
You must mean a small to middleweight sportbike, because a 1000cc or higher will make mince meat out of a 109, and lets not forget the 109 is a 1800cc motorcycle, your engine is almost 3 times larger than that 675's.
Thank You!.. I love my 109, but my 06 CBR1000RR will crush my 109 all day long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
bollert,
I understand where you are coming from now, I have a friend at work who wants to ride with my 109, he has a new GSX-R 600 and I know he wants to try it out because he told me to hurry and break it in, but you are correct about the short wheelbase bikes being hard to launch, but I don't think I can take a 600 once we hit 100 mph, but he will definitely be looking at my tail light from a street start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
khrome13 said:
There are definitely more knuckleheads around here on sport bikes than not.... prolly about 80% could'nt launch a toy boat in the bath tub let alone a 130+ hp sport bike... Your right the 109 will eat some sport bikes no matter what they are cause it's usually some wanna be thats lined up next to you :bigthumbsup:

get r done :pop:

khrome
That's what I'm talking about about. BTW, I am a firm believer of "Picking your race". Don't ever pick a fight with a sportbike unless you sense he's squidish/unexperienced. On the other hand, if they pick a fight with you, just go for it. Also, if the bike has lowering links on it, he probably dragraces it. If it's brand new, is stinkbug as all get out and he's wearing matching riding gear - give it a go!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BigBoreBiker said:
bollert,
I understand where you are coming from now, I have a friend at work who wants to ride with my 109, he has a new GSX-R 600 and I know he wants to try it out because he told me to hurry and break it in, but you are correct about the short wheelbase bikes being hard to launch, but I don't think I can take a 600 once we hit 100 mph, but he will definitely be looking at my tail light from a street start.
For sure, better back out with dignity after 3rd. Up until then, he'll never know what hit 'im, but any longer and he'll be reeling you in talking 'bout man I was closing so fast, all I need is a better launch, blah blah. Point is to be a devious street sniper with the 109. Bunch of guys going home that night wondering who the hell was trolling around town on the cruiser causing all the heartache.

For those who aren't reading this thread closely, I'm referring mostly to the mondo launch an average rider can get on a 109, thereby beating a sportbike in a short 3 gear blast - or what some refer to as "red light to red light". Not for a second do I think the 109 can roll on gear to gear with any sportbike once the sportbike is in it's powerband. But if you drop the clutch a couple thousand rpm too soon on a sportbike, or start a rollon in the wrong gear, it takes a relative lifetime to get into it's powerband - especially a middleweight. The 109 will be long gone. Don't forget to get your foot to the shifter before 6000 RPM though as you'll need to shift 60 mS later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
bollert said:
That's what I'm talking about about. BTW, I am a firm believer of "Picking your race". Don't ever pick a fight with a sportbike unless you sense he's squidish/unexperienced. On the other hand, if they pick a fight with you, just go for it. Also, if the bike has lowering links on it, he probably dragraces it. If it's brand new, is stinkbug as all get out and he's wearing matching riding gear - give it a go!
Think I would have to pass racing someone that is squidish/unexperienced..You do know that the so called squidish/unexperienced person may end up crashing you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I left my buddies YZFR6 in the dust thru 1st and second gear but thats only 600cc's. Still is cool to beat any sportbike on a cruiser. I want to race a V-rod or any other power cruiser so bad I can taste it. Anyone got V-rod kills under their belt? :doorag:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
nice vid.
this thread is funny because we have the big block style torque monster, talking about racing track-geared horsepower specialists.

still very fun to follow this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
FatmotherM109 said:
I left my buddies YZFR6 in the dust thru 1st and second gear but thats only 600cc's. Still is cool to beat any sportbike on a cruiser. I want to race a V-rod or any other power cruiser so bad I can taste it. Anyone got V-rod kills under their belt? :doorag:
i have a few buddy's i ride with that are none believers of the 109
2-HD vrod
1-kawi valcon 1600
2-yamaha warrior

let's just say i made believers out of them real fast
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
traysvega said:
also watch how long it takes to get there...I counted almost a full 10 seconds... :bigthumbsup:
He wasn't at full throttle it was just to show how tall first gear is on the bike. Full throttle would have shown a nice wheelie instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Techmaven said:
He wasn't at full throttle it was just to show how tall first gear is on the bike. Full throttle would have shown a nice wheelie instead.
Agreed, it should take under 6 at full throttle on a liter bike. My old Turbo XX would do 0-100 in 3.6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
L-Train said:
Agreed, it should take under 6 at full throttle on a liter bike. My old Turbo XX would do 0-100 in 3.6.
R1 has 100MPH 1st gear and a peaky power delivery compared to other 1000s. If you open the throttle in 1st from a crawl, it'll take a while to come up "on the pipe". I love saying that. My ZX-10R had a 100MPH 1st as well, and taking off from a stop sign, you had to double clutch a little to get her to come off smooth, then you'd wait a second for the midrange to kick in. If you were all the way in it, the you had to control a wheelie. That's what I love about the 109 on the street. Satisfying power all the time, everywhere and in every situation. The only time you wish for more is full on straightline speed runs. Upside is that 4 of my 5 senses would shut down on the ZX-10R at full honk, but I'm able to still function on the 109 when wide-open :joke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
That's true on the 4 out of 5 senses. On my Turbo 0-100 was like getting kicked in the balls. :redfaced: :eek: :yikes:
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top