M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me a weirdo, but my loud pipes got really annoying after about 30mins of riding and I put the stocks back on. It's less sexy, but what's the use of riding if it's going to be a pain to ride.

Still, the draw of performance increase and ecu flashing potential had me looking again at an upgrade.

Anyone know the decibel comparison of the various aftermarket exhaust options? I'm thinking the quieted option would be a compromise.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Not sure what's out there today. I waited a long time after I bought my Nine, for a quiet 2-into-1. Finally, after four years, Cobra came out with the Tri-Pro, and it's resonably quiet. I don't find myself needing ear plugs when I ride it, like I do when I ride my B-King. Sadly, it's no longer available. Maybe some shop out there has one still on a shelf though.

Attachments

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,948 Posts
The Cobra Swepts aren't too loud as they come with their quiet baffle. But it's still tons louder than the stock pipes, even when they are drilled out. But the length puts a lot of the sound behind you, so longer usually sounds quieter to the rider even if they aren't that quiet.

Honestly, I find wearing ear plugs as being the best compromise. I can enjoy the ride more not only without the exhaust noise, but also wind noise. And I can hear our in helmet communicators that the wife and I use a lot better. It's just a more relaxing ride with the ear plugs in.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Cobra Swepts aren't too loud as they come with their quiet baffle. But it's still tons louder than the stock pipes, even when they are drilled out. But the length puts a lot of the sound behind you, so longer usually sounds quieter to the rider even if they aren't that quiet.

Honestly, I find wearing ear plugs as being the best compromise. I can enjoy the ride more not only without the exhaust noise, but also wind noise. And I can hear our in helmet communicators that the wife and I use a lot better. It's just a more relaxing ride with the ear plugs in.
If you need earplugs to ride your own bike , it's far too loud.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I use a sena 20s with ear bugs that jack in. It blocks out the wind noise but also let's me take phone calls without problem.

I'm over that "louder is better" phase of my life. You can make a go-cart loud with the right pipes, meanwhile the semi is quiet as a mouse. It's more about the awesome workmanship of mechanics and engineering than the 'look at me'. No offense to anyone.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard Cobras, pretty loud, had a Hard Krome VPR and it was too loud for sitting right below my ear. Currently have a Revo 6" cannon and its a lot more tolerable but its very pricey.
Bikes looking good Psycho. Props to the gray brotherhood!

I actually had a Revo 6 cannon at one point but I was doing tons of low speed motorcycle drills for about 6 months and after about an hour, there would be noise fatigue even with ear plugs. Guess I didn't have enough speed to stay ahead of the sound.

I mentioned a new exhaust to my girlfriend and she remembers them and told me "don't go back to those...." 😓

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,948 Posts
If you need earplugs to ride your own bike , it's far too loud.
It's 50/50 whether I wear them or not. Short rides I don't bother with them, longer rides just seem less tiring with not only the exhaust but the wind noise diminished. You can still hear the bike plenty well with the plugs in. A lot of it has to do with living in WV with all the hills, the bike is usually pulling harder, traveling slower and just more noise than out cruising somewhere.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's 50/50 whether I wear them or not. Short rides I don't bother with them, longer rides just seem less tiring with not only the exhaust but the wind noise diminished. You can still hear the bike plenty well with the plugs in. A lot of it has to do with living in WV with all the hills, the bike is usually pulling harder, traveling slower and just more noise than out cruising somewhere.
Now you're making excuses why your bike is obnoxious.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,948 Posts
Now you're making excuses why your bike is obnoxious.
No I'm not. It's like any aftermarket exhaust, they are all louder than stock. Asking for a quiet aftermarket exhaust is like asking for warm ice, it just ain't going to happen. :)

What kind of non-obnoxious exhaust do you have on your ride, or is it still stock?

·
Registered
151 Posts
No I'm not. It's like any aftermarket exhaust, they are all louder than stock. Asking for a quiet aftermarket exhaust is like asking for warm ice, it just ain't going to happen. :)

What kind of non-obnoxious exhaust do you have on your ride, or is it still stock?
I've got a Vance & Hines Pro Pipe with the quiet baffle , the standard baffle was too loud , I was afraid cops would hear me getting on it and small children crying from two blocks away. 🤣 It was 107decibels, now it's 102 and tolerable. My Ladybird exhaust on my RC51 was 99 and made your earsdrums hurt like someone was smacking your ears , it sounded like a helicopter climbing , it's a V twin also. I made little restrictors and at 95 decibels it's tolerable. Loud generally goes hand in hand with more flow , but maximum flow rarely makes the best power. I've been modifying stock and aftermarket exhaust for decades.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,948 Posts
I've got a Vance & Hines Pro Pipe with the quiet baffle , the standard baffle was too loud , I was afraid cops would hear me getting on it and small children crying from two blocks away. 🤣 It was 107decibels, now it's 102 and tolerable. My Ladybird exhaust on my RC51 was 99 and made your earsdrums hurt like someone was smacking your ears , it sounded like a helicopter climbing , it's a V twin also. I made little restrictors and at 95 decibels it's tolerable. Loud generally goes hand in hand with more flow , but maximum flow rarely makes the best power. I've been modifying stock and aftermarket exhaust for decades.
I had a 81 or 82 GS750 and put Mikuni smooth bores on it, changed to Yoshimura cams, and added a Kerker 4-1 pipe. My wife could hear me coming from almost 3 miles away. It wasn't just loud, but painfully loud. And not a good sounding loud either, just a high pitched scream when winding it out. Ran good but the changes made it peaky and kind of miserable to ride. Not quite as peaky as the Kawasaki H2 750 2 stroke triple with tuned pipes I had earlier, but close.

On my 109 I have the Swepts with what they call the quiet baffles, but I modified them and wrapped them with baffle wrap to tone them down more. Still is kind of loud but like I said above, only when pulling hard at low to mid rpms. Once cruising it's not bad at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,I'm new here,my name is Matthew from Antwerp,Belgium,overhere the bike's called VZR1800 M1800R,I saw on instagram a while ago pics of a bully with the end can of the Hayabusa on it,it looks great imo but don't now the decibels and in the Orient they sell a exhaust with dubble pipes one left and one right,i you google a bit you will find it,here's a pic of my bike,greetings

Attachments

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The idea of an exhaust with one on each side is intriguing to say the least. I thought that Rainey was going to produce that? Maybe that's the exhaust the guy above is talking about? I would ditch my 2-into-1 Cobra for the exhaust in the video below.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,577 Posts
Hi all,I'm new here,my name is Matthew from Antwerp,Belgium,overhere the bike's called VZR1800 M1800R,I saw on instagram a while ago pics of a bully with the end can of the Hayabusa on it,it looks great imo but don't now the decibels and in the Orient they sell a exhaust with dubble pipes one left and one right,i you google a bit you will find it,here's a pic of my bike,greetings
Welcome to the board, you are right, I have seen that many moons ago...:

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,823 Posts
Hey matthew1800R , welcome to the forum! Here is the US it's an M109R in reference to the Cubic Inch Displacement, rather that the Cubic Centimeters. I think that was a marketing decision to try to attract Harley Davidson enthusiasts, since Harley also uses CID in reference to engine size. Ours also comes with that 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust from the factory.
Rainey made that one-off exhaust system as seen in the post above by thevili . I did not think he ever had any intentions to sell them. There is a thread on this forum somewhere where he went through the design of it, and how difficult it was to create.
I have seen some really nice exhaust systems from a company in Germany, but I understand that they do not (or at least DID not) ship them overseas.

Reactions: matthew1800R

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
My bike actually has the European badges on it. Intruder M1800R. I much prefer that over the rather boring and humdrum Boulevard M109R. Guy in Holland bought them for me and shipped them here. I never had a paypal account prior to that. But he did it without concern for me paying him back. Rather nice of him, but doesn't work for me. He said they cost him $100 plus shipping. I sent him $150.

I've had it happen more than once, someone unfamiliar with bike nomenclature asking what the M109R meant. So had to break down and explain the difference between 109 and 1800. Hasn't happened again with the European labels. My local dealer told me that Suzuki Corporation forbids them from selling the European badges here. DUMB!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The idea of an exhaust with one on each side is intriguing to say the least. I thought that Rainey was going to produce that? Maybe that's the exhaust the guy above is talking about? I would ditch my 2-into-1 Cobra for the exhaust in the video below.

yep,thats the one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey matthew1800R , welcome to the forum! Here is the US it's an M109R in reference to the Cubic Inch Displacement, rather that the Cubic Centimeters. I think that was a marketing decision to try to attract Harley Davidson enthusiasts, since Harley also uses CID in reference to engine size. Ours also comes with that 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust from the factory.
Rainey made that one-off exhaust system as seen in the post above by thevili . I did not think he ever had any intentions to sell them. There is a thread on this forum somewhere where he went through the design of it, and how difficult it was to create.
I have seen some really nice exhaust systems from a company in Germany, but I understand that they do not (or at least DID not) ship them overseas.
great info,thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts