M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having the second gear popping into neutral problem. Don't have the money to fix right now. Can I change to a different weight oill and help this problem temporarily

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I am having the second gear popping into neutral problem. Don't have the money to fix right now. Can I change to a different weight oill and help this problem temporarily
hate to say it Bro but I`m thinking thats not going to help you can sure give it a try but I would hold my breath!! Sorry!! Good Luck though

·
Registered
104 Posts
mine never really slipped from second to nuetral but I starrted using 20/50 oil and the bike really shifts much smoother

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
No...we had a member here that rode his with a bad 2nd gear for some time...mostly he started in 1st then upshifted into second then third consecutively. If it is second gear the engine has to be removed and the cylinders broke down and the cases split. Then gears that are damaged including new shift forks and shafts will need to be upgraded. Sorry to hear and good luck.

·
Registered
766 Posts
No...we had a member here that rode his with a bad 2nd gear for some time...mostly he started in 1st then upshifted into second then third consecutively. If it is second gear the engine has to be removed and the cylinders broke down and the cases split. Then gears that are damaged including new shift forks and shafts will need to be upgraded. Sorry to hear and good luck.
Now it would be interesting to know what causes this problem... Could it be that clank we hear when we dont preload into 2nd that causes taer and wear...?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
Now it would be interesting to know what causes this problem... Could it be that clank we hear when we dont preload into 2nd that causes taer and wear...?
That's part of it, the other part is just shifting it too hard.

And I tend to minimize the pre-loading. If you think about what that does, you're pressing the shift forks against a spinning gear and holding it there. Some start jumping out not because the shift forks are bent, but because they are worn. You can search and find pictures of the wear.

I started wearing steel toed boots, stopped pre-loading, and it shifts sweet. I think a good positive shift is more important than the pre-loading and doesn't cause the shift fork wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts