M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing up my driving lights install and I am adding a relay. Where is the easiest spot to tap into the ign switch power so everything goes off when i kill the key? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It depends on where you'll be putting the relay. I have the relay for all my accessories under the seat and I grabbed switched power from the tail light wire. It's a gray wire that runs from under the seat to the back of the bike on the left (kickstand) side under the cowl/fender. You may be able to get to it without taking the fender off...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anywhere under the headlight nacelle?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Yes. And actually that is the best spot for it.

Highway lights are supposed to go off when you hit the high beams, so wiring the relay to the low beam is your ideal spot.

If you do it right, you can tap in through the back side of the 3 pin harness that goes to the bulb and there is not wire cutting or tapping in, just another line off the back side of the bulb harness.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If you want them on even with the high beam, you can tap into one of the lines for your front running light under the nachel as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks SR i think i'll do the running light in case i want them on with the highs out on the back roads

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just a curious question here but with all of the electrical mods being done here and there and looking for a wire or place to tap in to so it turns on and off with the ignition, has anyone tried this or does anyone have this and if so, how well or how ****ty does it work.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=8183&str=290

View attachment 17996
several people have used them on here, I am going to use it my self pretty soon. They put it under the left side cover.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the info. Just wanted to know if it was worth the purchase and didn't want to keep splicing into the factory wiring. Just a preference thing to me.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Just a curious question here but with all of the electrical mods being done here and there and looking for a wire or place to tap in to so it turns on and off with the ignition, has anyone tried this or does anyone have this and if so, how well or how ****ty does it work.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=8183&str=290

View attachment 17996
Here is the thing on that kit.

If you know what you are doing, you can accoplish the same thing buying the parts for about $15.

If you are less experienced with that sort of thing, then the kit is fine.

Do not get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the kit, just paying the price for someone to assemble the kit for me would chap my ars.

·
Registered
430 Posts
so... ok... I got the kit but,

a friend of mine that did the HID kit install didn't use the relay... the power plate is wired directly to the battery... how do I go back to corect this?

There was a thread that showed how to use a relay, and that's what I'm ultimately looking for. I now want to add power for a GPS, but can't find an 'always ways on' source of power.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts