M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the hex screw just above my axel bolt on the drive train side appears to be leaking grease. It's getting in my rim and causing quite a mess. My dad has the same bike (and I looked at another guys) and neither appear to be doing this. I figured the dealer during prep may not have torqued down the screw properly?

In any event, I don't have the service manual and don't know how much torque to put on that screw. Anyone know the proper amount of torque to apply to this hex screw (sorry I don't know the name of that screw, I'm a newb to this stuff).

(For clarification of which screw I'm refering to, I linked Phaed's link with photos about side plates. Its the screw just above the axel: http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1132.0 )

Thanks in advance.

PS I'm at only 350 miles so this isn't really normal looking with so few miles on the bike... something is rotten in denmark.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Actually, if you removed the screw and threw it away, it shouldn't be leaking. This is a hole to nowhere. It's actually where the bottom shock bolt would go if we had twin shocks, which we don't. Suzuki just uses the same cover they use on their other bikes to save money on parts.
Jer

·
Registered
849 Posts
It occurs to me now, that you have to figure out where the fluid you're talking about is coming from. Is it possible you're just talking about disc dust crud from your brakes?
If not, consider that it might be coming from left air cleaner housing as dealer might have overfilled your motor oil during setup and it's just finding it's way back to your hub. Just a few thoughts to get you thinking.
Good Luck.
Jer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I went by the dealer to show them. It's definately grease. It's not break dust and it's not coming from the air filters.

I figured out its the bolt underneath the axel bolt (the one you can only see if your lying down). The dealer said he thinks its the "crush washer" associated with that bottom bolt. He tightened it a bit, and said keep wiping it off. If it keeps up, at the time of the 600 mile service they will check and replace it if need be.

Meh, not being a "techie guy" I never know when they are BS'ing me (and being paranoid I assume it's always :eek:)

Thanks for the responses. In 250 more miles, I'll let you all know what the story is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts