M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I really want to purchase a touring specific bike but it doesn't look like thats going to happen for another year or so. I had some unexpected home expenses. New furnace, water heater, and air conditioning. ugh. Anyway, this summer my Dad and I have some longer trips planned. May 4-5 hours of riding a day for 3 mayber 4 days. I wanted to know exactly what your experience has been with the v stream tour. I've read through many reviews on the forum already. I'm about 5'7" so I obviously fit in the 6' under category. I'm mostly concerned about the wind noise. When the weather is nice I like to wear my half helmet but can't stand going about 55 without ear plugs. Give me horrible headaches. Does the vstream decrease wind noise? Other than noise i really don't mind riding without a windsheild and open face. My next choice th rifle solo, but I honestly hate the looks so bad. If I'm going to be riding for that long I want my biketo look cool. I don't think the v stream is that bad looking.

Any feedback is appreciated. Many thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I like my vstream tour, but it is a compromise on looks/function
at 65mph I give it a 7 out of 10
at 80+ mph it drops to about a 5
but it is by far the best looking screen for the 109

below 65 it works great 9 of 10, I can talk to my wife on back in a normal voice and there is almost no buffeting

there are better screens but imo you give up some style

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you looked at the Wind Vest wind shields? They work really well, I had one on my 2002 RS Warrior and really liked it. Check their web site.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have both the Rifle and the Vstream touring shields.

The Vstream looks far better, but the Rifle performs far better as a touring shield. You can stand it up so you are looking through it and in that position, I have ridden 3 hours in under 30f.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I also have the Vstream sport and the Rifle Solo Shield.
The Vstream sport is perfect for the rider, but does nothing for the passenger. The Rifle is much better when a passenger is on board. Not perfect, but works well.
The Rifle also works well for long tours.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I like my vstream tour, but it is a compromise on looks/function
at 65mph I give it a 7 out of 10
at 80+ mph it drops to about a 5
but it is by far the best looking screen for the 109

below 65 it works great 9 of 10, I can talk to my wife on back in a normal voice and there is almost no buffeting

there are better screens but imo you give up some style
I must agree, at high speeds the Vstream is not the best, but its the best looking windsheild for this bike and it keeps the bugs out of your face at night. I really didn't want to get a windsheild but after getting the Vstream i wouldn't ride without it on a long ride. The long ride are much better with the windsheild, it keeps the wind off you body which is the most important thing. I normally ride with my earplugs in or my headphones (blackberry w/pandora running). Hate the wind noise.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,078 Posts
My VStream tour works OK, but like most, it's not perfect. It works well if you set it low so it knocks the wind off your chest, but just a little higher and you get head buffeting. It works best set high. I modified mine to raise the back up about 3" more than the stock brackets allow, and up there it works even better. To work the best it needs lowers as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
V-Stream Tour is the ticket. Though having a White 9 (the best looking and fastest by the way) I wish I would have gone with the light tint rather than the dark. And by removing 4 screws, it's off and you can collect all the bugs in your teeth that you want!
:D

·
Registered
572 Posts
I dropped mine 2' as well and I went up to 140MPH and never had a problem with the wind. Infact I had a couple of street bikes following my line all the way down the HWY :bigthumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
My VStream tour works OK, but like most, it's not perfect. It works well if you set it low so it knocks the wind off your chest, but just a little higher and you get head buffeting. It works best set high. I modified mine to raise the back up about 3" more than the stock brackets allow, and up there it works even better. To work the best it needs lowers as well.
Lowers help a lot :bigthumbsup: I made my own :evil::evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
434 Posts
V STREAM

I have both the short and the tall V stream and agree with all of the other riders both of them keep the wind off of your chest area. I just cant at this point say which one is better, I like both of them the Touring does give you a little more protection. I ride with the touring now.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Another vote for the V-Stream tour.
I've had mine for the last 5000 mi and I can't imagine being without it. I like to take 200+ mi rides every week my most notable a 300 mi run from LA to Las Vegas. Not the quietest windscreen but you look good getting there!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your feedback guys.

Alien, your bike looks bada**! I think I'll get a vstream tour for the spring. Unfortunatly my bike is sitting in my garage while the snow falls here in the mitten state. I'll hopefully find one on here so if you know of anyone who has the tour and wants to sell, let me know.

Thanks again and to all those who can ride this time of year, take a ride for me today!

-Michael

1 - 17 of 17 Posts