M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting some wheels, will the 10" with a 280 fit the stock swingarm with no modifications? Also thinking of the 160/60 front tire. Does it rub the fender at all? And I have the option of going with a 4.25" front rim, good or bad with the 160 tire? Might push it out too far and rub fender?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I do not have it, but yes the 10" with 280 fits with no modification. But it is tight, and from waht I have read, requires dis-assembly of the final drive to get it on.

169 fits front, but you have to re-adjust the front fender for more clearance. And there is a tendency for rocks and such to go around the tire and cut the front fender to ribbons.

Just stuff I have read on the site, others will surely chime in soon.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I do not have it, but yes the 10" with 280 fits with no modification. But it is tight, and from waht I have read, requires dis-assembly of the final drive to get it on.

169 fits front, but you have to re-adjust the front fender for more clearance. And there is a tendency for rocks and such to go around the tire and cut the front fender to ribbons.

Just stuff I have read on the site, others will surely chime in soon.
My 160 fit fine with no fender modifications, but he has a 169 so I can't comment on that LOL:joke:

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you want a stock ride feel go with the `160/280 combo. Ask Square Rounder, CMHGuy, L.T.T or anyone who has this combo. I'm sure as the day progresses other will chime in.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As counter-intuitive as it will seem, I just learned this myself by actually experiencing it, go figure.

The clearance on the drive shaft side with the 10"/280 is very minimal. My tire/wheel was shipped with 35psi in it. Rode it like that with zero rubbing issues at all. Checked all the time. A week ago I decided to take it up to 42psi because, although the bike handled and rode like a charm, 35psi just seems low. I promptly got a really cool squeaking rubber sound from my rear tire when I was rolling it out of the garage. Checked with a piece of paper and sure enough, rubbing. So I pulled the paper thru and left it stuck between the tire and swingarm, and slowly let air out. At 39psi the paper was loose, at 37 it fell out. At 35psi, there was a very visible amount of clearance, still small, but enough (credit card width). I probably would've called bs if I hadn't seen it myself, but I did. And the fact I rode the bike for 1500k at 35psi without ANY rubbing at all seems to verify the pressure issue, at least for me.

I've since checked the tire warm and no change in the clearance. Also, put a mark around the edge to make sure it wasn't swelling out under speed or during cornering. No signs of rubbing.

Anyway, keep this in mind as something to consider if you happen to have a bit of rubbing. I had a moment of pure panic before I figured out what was taking place.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I had the same experience as wdkomo. I noticed mine rubbing after about two weeks of riding. SquareRounder told me to use sandpaper to shave the tire a bit. I jacked the bike up, put it in gear, and rubbed the sandpaper on the tire as it spun. It only took about 5 minutes. No rubbing since then.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know a lot of people ask about running a 280 on stock and everyone says NO cause the tire calls for a rim width of 9.5 to 10.5. So it is out of specs and squeezes the tire in too much on the stock 8.5" rim. Well I looked up the spec of the 160 and the acceptable rim width is 4.25 to 5.00. So out of specs on the stock 3.5" rim. So everyone that is concerned about running a 280 on stock 8.5", are they not concerned about running the 160 on the 3.5" rim since it is out of spec also? I'm definitely getting the 10" with 280, but there is an option of getting the 4.25" rim. Has anyone tried or is using a 4.25" front rim?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
If I had money to spend to get new wheels, I'd go 10 inch rear and a wider front rim. I don't know what the options are for the fron rims, but the 160 would look better on a wider front rim. You'd probably eliminate the chicken strip on the front tire also.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Thanks for my question on my 280 rubbing after I added air. I have seen a 4.5" on the front but they were 17" and a 170 front. I run a160 on the front and it does not rub but it might with a 3.5" on the frony.Gregg

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know a lot of people ask about running a 280 on stock and everyone says NO cause the tire calls for a rim width of 9.5 to 10.5. So it is out of specs and squeezes the tire in too much on the stock 8.5" rim. Well I looked up the spec of the 160 and the acceptable rim width is 4.25 to 5.00. So out of specs on the stock 3.5" rim. So everyone that is concerned about running a 280 on stock 8.5", are they not concerned about running the 160 on the 3.5" rim since it is out of spec also? I'm definitely getting the 10" with 280, but there is an option of getting the 4.25" rim. Has anyone tried or is using a 4.25" front rim?
I just bought 280/10'' and 160/60 on 4.25'' but still didn't mount it on the bike because rc comp. forgot to send the hub for rear wheel...i will get it in a few days and see how is that ride...
I bought 4.25 because it is better for 160/60 than stock rim says Metzeler , and I think it should add some clearens to the fender, if not I am going to do custom fenders anywhey...
regarding 280 on 10'' if it rubs, I'll buy bigger swingarm and end up with 300 when I change the fender...about shaving and stuff or moding the stock swingarms I am not for those kind of solutions...if you want to have it do it right....it is safer ride like that for sure....
and because 160/60 has bigger sidewall it is better on 3.5'' rim than 280 on 8.5'' - distorsion of the sidewall is to big in that case...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just bought 280/10'' and 160/60 on 4.25'' but still didn't mount it on the bike because rc comp. forgot to send the hub for rear wheel...i will get it in a few days and see how is that ride...
I bought 4.25 because it is better for 160/60 than stock rim says Metzeler , and I think it should add some clearens to the fender, if not I am going to do custom fenders anywhey...
regarding 280 on 10'' if it rubs, I'll buy bigger swingarm and end up with 300 when I change the fender...about shaving and stuff or moding the stock swingarms I am not for those kind of solutions...if you want to have it do it right....it is safer ride like that for sure....
and because 160/60 has bigger sidewall it is better on 3.5'' rim than 280 on 8.5'' - distorsion of the sidewall is to big in that case...
Thanks, let me know how the 4.25" rim mounts on the bike with the 160/60.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found some other wheels I like but the company doesn't supply any kind of hubs, only the shell rim. Does anyone know where I can get the chrome hubs for the front and rear by them selves?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm looking at getting some wheels, will the 10" with a 280 fit the stock swingarm with no modifications? Also thinking of the 160/60 front tire. Does it rub the fender at all? And I have the option of going with a 4.25" front rim, good or bad with the 160 tire? Might push it out too far and rub fender?
When you get your new wheels will you be selling your chrome stock wheels? If so let me know I am interested in buying them from you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts