M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little background...I am a golfer I've worked in the golf industry for 12 years now, mostly on the equipment side, this year however I will be more focused on the teaching side of it. This is my first year ever riding a motorcycle in fact I am currently without a bike (long story) I purchased a M90 had huge issues with the GM at the dealer ended up disputing the charges on my card, now I'm just waiting for the dust to settle. Also would like to see the New Black LE in person before I do anything.

Anyway the Motorcycle industry reminds me of the Golf industry 10 years ago on the aftermarket side of things. What I mean is that years ago most OEM in golf made their own shafts and grips. Things that most golfers change right away and they offered very little in the form of any upgrade options. Really the last 5-7 years they've started to "partner" up with aftermarket parts makers to make their products perform better. Their R&D spend a lot of time watching how certain shafts and grips will effect the flight of the ball. For example the shaft is considered the "engine" of the club so better/stronger players will not want the stock shaft they will want something aftermarket.

What I'm wondering is why say Suzuki would not partner up with Cobra (as an example) and do R&D on pipes, air kits/filters, etc, that would increase the performance of the bike without causing serious harm to the engine? And posting the differences on their website for all to see. Like golfers most riders experience differ as well the main use of the bike.

Golf OEM's have found this to be a huge market and it is one way to get more people interest in your product if you offer the ability to upgrade without the loss of your warranty. The aftermarket OEM's love it because they end up selling to a wider range of people it seems to be a win win for everyone especially the public. We save(those of us who don't have the set up) from having to pay labor cost to have anything installed.

Also Golf forums are like free advertising for OEM there are always these mysterious post of what is known as "spy" pics of future products to create buzz. And it is a great source for feed back. I wouldn't doubt that someone from Suzuki "lurks" this forum all you have to do is look at how many people relocated the tack and added a gear indicator. Now it comes stock on the new bikes.

Sorry for the long post I normally just like to "lurk" but, I've been thinking about this for a few days and would like to know if any of you see any real benefit to a Motorcycle company partnering up with an aftermarket parts company? Maybe some have and I am unaware if so I'm sorry you had to read this. I'll go back to my lurking now..:pop:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
You're right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LONG post LOL, not a prob. well my first thought is, It sure would be good for the after market parts maker, They are such a small business compared to the likes of Suzuki or any bike builder. Curious what others will chim in with............

And please, come out of the closet more often........:joke:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think you only have to look at Hardly Davids son. There has been a fantastic after market industry built around trying to keep the out dated technology on the road!:clap2:

I for one hope that more advanced motorcycle companies keep developing better more refined products.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I haven't seen it with Suzuki but the Yamaha shop in Palatka Fl had a Warrior with sideburners and few other mods, Air cleaners etc. I don't know if Yamaha did it or the dealer but the whole package was brand new.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Consider that as a manufacturer, Suzuki needs to comply with the import requirements of every place they want to export them to. Things like restrictive intakes, the pair system, the SET system, the restrictive exhaust, the amount of sound from the exhaust, the timing retardation, the top speed limiter, the fuel map, and just about everything we change out to get better performance are not in place because Suzuki can not figure out how to give the bike more power, but rather to comply with existing or anticipated limitations on where they could sell their bikes if they made those changes.

From a more cynical perspective, consider how much more providing a warranty costs a vehicle manufacturer than a golf club manufacturer. Suzuki saves money every time someone makes a change that voids the warranty. Why would they want to invest in teaming-up when it would likely have a negative impact on their warranty servicing cost?

From a practical perspective, consider the vast volume differences between Suzuki and even the largest aftermarket parts manufacturer. For Suzuki to endorse a particular add-on, they would need to have faith in the ability of that manufacturer to supply the add-on if it became so popular that every bike ordered needed one to be marketable.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Consider that as a manufacturer, Suzuki needs to comply with the import requirements of every place they want to export them to. Things like restrictive intakes, the pair system, the SET system, the restrictive exhaust, the amount of sound from the exhaust, the timing retardation, the top speed limiter, the fuel map, and just about everything we change out to get better performance are not in place because Suzuki can not figure out how to give the bike more power, but rather to comply with existing or anticipated limitations on where they could sell their bikes if they made those changes.

From a more cynical perspective, consider how much more providing a warranty costs a vehicle manufacturer than a golf club manufacturer. Suzuki saves money every time someone makes a change that voids the warranty. Why would they want to invest in teaming-up when it would likely have a negative impact on their warranty servicing cost?

From a practical perspective, consider the vast volume differences between Suzuki and even the largest aftermarket parts manufacturer. For Suzuki to endorse a particular add-on, they would need to have faith in the ability of that manufacturer to supply the add-on if it became so popular that every bike ordered needed one to be marketable.
Good points. They just play it safe and comply with rules and regs, and let the buyer choose what they want to do with the bike. And the cynical perspective you state is prolly the biggest reason........:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good Points Square but...

Those are almost the same questions golf OEMs faced.

What many of these OEMs did is say "Ok instead of us making our own shafts and grips we will partner with a company that is known for making good quality shafts and grips"

So you go to Cobra (as an example) and say "these are proto types of our bike line up for 2012 we'd like you to design our pipes and air intakes but, they must conform to the guide lines of the Countries that we sell to. Also we'd like you to make an "exotic" line up of "accessories" that will increase performance while still conforming to the same guide lines. So you still have your "stock" set up however now it is done by a company that has a reputation for making it.

"From a more cynical perspective, consider how much more providing a warranty costs a vehicle manufacturer than a golf club manufacturer. Suzuki saves money every time someone makes a change that voids the warranty. Why would they want to invest in teaming-up when it would likely have a negative impact on their warranty servicing cost?"

Good point....short answer....Customer Service. I totally get your point but, think of what they may gain if they were to partner with an Aftermarket parts maker. Example we get charged $500-$700 for a good set of pipes they would get them for $150 because they are buying in mass quantity. So they are still making money and you may see a drop in warranty related issues. As a consumer I would be more inclined towards an OEM that is partnered with an Aftermarket company then if I had to spend the time and extra money on parts, shipping, installation, and down time. You can still "personalize" your bike but, you don't have to make the huge sacrifices you make now in order to do it.

Just a thought, I do appreciate the input. This site is one of the reasons why I like the 9 and the M90 seems to be one of the more friendliest forums around.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Those are almost the same questions golf OEMs faced.

What many of these OEMs did is say "Ok instead of us making our own shafts and grips we will partner with a company that is known for making good quality shafts and grips"

So you go to Cobra (as an example) and say "these are proto types of our bike line up for 2012 we'd like you to design our pipes and air intakes but, they must conform to the guide lines of the Countries that we sell to. Also we'd like you to make an "exotic" line up of "accessories" that will increase performance while still conforming to the same guide lines. So you still have your "stock" set up however now it is done by a company that has a reputation for making it.

"From a more cynical perspective, consider how much more providing a warranty costs a vehicle manufacturer than a golf club manufacturer. Suzuki saves money every time someone makes a change that voids the warranty. Why would they want to invest in teaming-up when it would likely have a negative impact on their warranty servicing cost?"

Good point....short answer....Customer Service. I totally get your point but, think of what they may gain if they were to partner with an Aftermarket parts maker. Example we get charged $500-$700 for a good set of pipes they would get them for $150 because they are buying in mass quantity. So they are still making money and you may see a drop in warranty related issues. As a consumer I would be more inclined towards an OEM that is partnered with an Aftermarket company then if I had to spend the time and extra money on parts, shipping, installation, and down time. You can still "personalize" your bike but, you don't have to make the huge sacrifices you make now in order to do it.

Just a thought, I do appreciate the input. This site is one of the reasons why I like the 9 and the M90 seems to be one of the more friendliest forums around.:bigthumbsup:
I think you completely miss me.

Any pipe, intake, or other part swapped out for performance, will suck if it meets everything everywhere they send the bikes. It is a given, the stock parts will suck, even if Cobra makes them. You can not get what you can get from an aftermarket pipe from any pipe that is universally compliant.

I do not understand how you could think that offering any sanctioned performance upgrade could decrease warranty issues. The closer you push things to their limits, the more you would expect failures, and thus, warranty claims.

I think you seriously overestimate the size of companies like Cobra. My impression is that if a Cobra pipe was stock on only 10% of the M109Rs produced, somewhere in the ballpark of 95% of all the pipes Cobra makes would be stock on an M109R. In other words, everything Cobra could produce would supply maybe 10% of what Suzuki would need. I could be way off, but I am thinking Cobra makes about 1 pipe for every 1000 bikes produced.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Apples/Oranges

I had a really long post typed out but I decided to cut it way back. This is an apples/oranges comparison.

The bike makers live in a regulatory and liability nightmare at all times. I doubt there are few, if any, similar regulations on golf clubs.

As for exhaust systems, bike makers have to make it meet regs, sometimes many diff regs from diff countries. If Suzuki were to partner with Cobra on a factory exhaust, it would have to meet regs and might come out looking and sounding just like the one that comes on the bike from the factory.

And, there are a vast array of choices in the aftermarket for pipes. While some choose the same ones there are still many choices. Diff strokes for diff folks. And, because they don't have to meet any regs, they can be loud and don't have to meet pollution regs (the exception might be CA or some specific countries).

As for FI controllers, same issue. Suzuki has to meet emissions regs, aftermarket controllers don't (again CA et. al.).

Suzuki (and other bike makers) do a pretty good job of doing what they do and still meeting all the regs.

There is just no reasonable comparison between golf clubs and bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts