M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9'ers,

Got a question for you. How hot is too hot when you want to ride. Are you the type of guy that will ride in just about any weather, not matter how hot or cold (within good reason...and being safe of course).

Right now here in the Greater Cleveland area the weather today is about 90 degress with high humidity. For me at least right now...that's a bit much unless you can keep it moving. Just curious let me know what you think.

:pop:

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's about the way it is all the time for me. Only Jan and Feb differ...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Well considering a bunch of us just rode in 93 degree weather with high humidty at the Mid-Atlantic meet, I'd say that it isn't too hot.

It sucks getting on the highway and feeling the heat from the exhaust and radiating off the pavement. It also keeps you from wanting to gear up fully, but it isn't too hot to ride.

·
Registered
367 Posts
rather ride hot in a tshirt and jeans then be freezing in full gear plus extra but rode to daytona at 430am in 29 degrees

·
Registered
319 Posts
It was in the upper 90's here all weekend. I didn't take my bike out mostly because I was busy but partly because it's hot as F. I prefer to ride when the temp is in the 70's but I've ridden in heat a lot.

·
Registered
198 Posts
im in the tucson area short term for the air force and its been 104 all week.. down to 70 or so at night.. i cant imagine riding in it, but i know i would.

-nate

·
Registered
550 Posts
When I pulled in the driveway from the Mid-Atlantic meet this afternoon, it 98 with a heat index of 113. Mesh jacket and full face, I won't lie to you, it was especially uncomfortable at stop lights. And the damned thing about it.... even at 75-80mph, it still didn't get you any relief.

Water and rest stops... you won't know you're getting dehydrated until it's too late. It affects your judgement and takes your focus away from riding.

Ride safe

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,900 Posts
once it hits about 155 degrees with over 95% humidity I think twice about riding. :joke:
Seriously, though, if I am not going to be in the mountains or near the shore where it will be a bit cooler while I ride, I generally don't ride when it's over 90 degrees with high humidity.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did a ride last year in 115 degree heat in PHX in July. But I ride everyday since I'm stationed at luke, so heat is nothing to me...the cold cold weather gets to me. 60 is cold...brrr

·
Registered
74 Posts
I live in central Florida, a.k.a. the swamp. Humidity is always high and temps have been anywhere between 93 and 103 all week. I say ride, just stay hydrated and wear sunscreen.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Your East coast 100 and our West coast 100 are not the same. Was back there in July 2008 it was 85 and raining. I dont plain any rides when in the 100.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I live and ride in 100+ most of the summer with full gear. I commute to work in Safford, AZ where the temps have been 104+ (F) for about 2 weeks and always wear the gear. REALLY SUCKS at the lights, but there aren't any after I get out of town. To me too cold would be the limit for me and has been when the temps are in the 20's or lower a few times during our winters. Think about 70+ mph in 24 or below ambient, brrrrrr. Frozen appendages are numb for hours.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't like to ride in the heat but I always do. March to October 100+ most days. Just going for a joy ride I try and and wait until the sun is going down. Working underground 12-14hrs a day I can handle the heat but not the sun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Too hot?

Well guys, I'm an old fart over 50 here in Phoenix & my limits are 110 at the top & 40 at the bottom. I could ride down into the 30's but I have no fairing to keep the wind off my hands & man they get cold. In the summer here in Phoenix, you still need to wear full finger gloves or your fingers will toast (kinda like driving thru a blast furnace!). I also go to a half helmet in the summer. Put on a full face & it's like putting your head in an incubator. It's that rush hour traffic that really sucks but one thing about the C109, you feel almost no heat thrown off by the radiator fan:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Temp

I ride in 60 or less temp all the time in Alaska, bikes on it way down south (SC, GA, AL, MS, TN, LA, MO)for a road trip end July through first August, looking forward to 90+ :drool:

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you don't always ride in full gear..... I got one of those vests last year that you soak in water, then hang it up for like an hour. It retains some of the water and does a pretty good job of cooling you off as you're going down the road. Lasts an hour or two, then you just stop, get it wet again, ring it out, and throw it back on.

Pete

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I ride, but like to take very early morning rides and come back before get toasted. Full gear is also a challenge to wear...Florida's summer arrived earlier this year.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts