M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the right side on in 10 minutes no problem. Left side is giving me a problem. The top split bolt assembly does not want to go in the hole far enough. MY question is, how far in is it supposed to go? I would think like the other side, it should go all the way in. I have tried massaging it in, lubricating it in. I am about ready to ream the whole a little bit, but thought I would ask before drilling.

It is not far enough in for the lower cowl to clear it. Needs at least another inch, but it will not go the extra inch. I have tried loosening that little expander, and just putting it in with one turn and still it won't go in.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I pushed mine in as far as it would go which sounds about where yours is. It lined up fine at the bottom, the expander held it tight so I figured that must be how it is supposed to fit. :dontknow:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Walker - There is only one bolt that fits that particular expander - but good point

Helemt Town - It still will not clear the cowl. Do you know about how much of the shaft was still exposed??? Just a guestimate?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At 1 this morning, I decided to sleep on it because I was getting frustrated. Today after work I removed it, hit it with some lithium grease and gave it a few love taps with the hammer and it finally went the rest of the way in. All better now. I have to say that Suzuki must have thought of these things after the fact - 4 different bolts and I am less than thrilled with the install. Like the look, but it will be a pain for sure to remove all of this just to change out the plugs.

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a tough time with the left side also. The only way I could get that bolt in was with a dead blow hammer. I love the look, but I am not looking forward to the spark plug etc issues.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just a question: Since this "engine guard" doesn't really protect the bike if it is dropped, why are you guys doing it?? ?Using it to mount highway pegs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally had to "help it along". Sometimes stepping away is the best thing. I just could not figure it out, but once I was able to get the sleeve all the way in the hole, it just came all together. They look real nice.

As far as what they will protect: You are correct, they are not going to protect as much as a more traditional crash bar on most bikes, but they will protect some of the parts. I am not sure about cruising pegs yet. Still thinking about those. The only thing I will give Suzuki is that they do look good on the bike. They are not the run of the mill looking crash bars. They flow with the lines of the bike pretty well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i think they are out too far to mount pegs on them. they are for me anyway. laying my feet on top of the brake and shifter works perfect for cruising

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ok Burno... :nopic:
hehehe...you knew that was coming :evil: :doorag:

Devilish

P.S.
Mine came in last week but I haven't had a chance to install them!

·
Registered
306 Posts
tomph1 said:
Just a question: Since this "engine guard" doesn't really protect the bike if it is dropped, why are you guys doing it?? ?Using it to mount highway pegs?
Highway pegs is my reason. I know someone else here mounted pegs without the bars but I don't like the look of that.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Bruno said:
Walker - There is only one bolt that fits that particular expander - but good point

Helemt Town - It still will not clear the cowl. Do you know about how much of the shaft was still exposed??? Just a guestimate?
Mine just clears the cowl but about 3/4 inch is still sticking out from the hole. I read your post that you got it all the way in! Good job! I will wait until I have to do the spark plugs or something else that requires the cowl to come off as it is too much of a pain to take it all apart again and it isn't harming anything.
Glad you managed to work it out though as it should help a lot of others :bigthumbsup:

For those not knowing what we are talking about here are a few photos of the offending bolt. It fits inside a hole with a sleeve and an expander threaded tube which when tightened up holds the piece in place. I hit it with a hammer and got it in about 1/4 inch more than I could by hand but didn't want to push too hard just in case. I guess it has to go in all the way...
Tough to get a good photo due to the confined space...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts