M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a set of Roadhouse slip-ons put on my bike the day after I bought it, and I love the heck out of them...other than the fact that they have had an exhaust leak ever since they were put on. But that's beside the point...

I'm thinking about turning the tips so that they turn out to the side, inside of slashing downward. I've seen a few bikes on here like that, and I really like the way it looks. Only question I have, is about the mounting. From what I can see, if i turn the tips there will only be one bolt that will hold the tips on...is that true, or am I mistaken? From sitting on the ground and looking up in there, there will only be one hole that will line up.

If this is true, will it hold ok? I mean...there's a lot of power shooting through those pipes and I don't want to hear my tip come flying off and see it bouncing torward the ditch in my mirror...or see it hit the Harley guy I've just dusted...

I searched, but couldn't find any helpful info...so I figured I'd ask those of you with some Roadhouse experience. How do you turn it 90* to make it turn out to the side??

Any help is really appreciated, so thanks in advance fellas!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
That's not an exhaust leak you hear, RH pipes don't have baffles to muffle the sound. I thought the same thing when I heard mine making that slight ticking sound from the pipes until I got on youtube and heard other 9's with RH sounding the same.

You are correct about the top tip having one hole lining up when you turn the tips out to the side. Just put that screw in tight and it shouldn't come loose.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It IS an exhaust leak I have, because I can feel the exhaust puffing from the joints. Almost every one of them leak, so the guy who owns the shop where I had them put on is going to weld them into a complete system. I just waited until winter so that I wouldn't have to miss out on any more ride time than necessary. I'll have that fixed, that's why I said it's beside the point.

I just wondered about the tips, because I didn't want to hurt anything and I didn't know if there was another trick to making them hold better, other than making sure it was tight and hoping for the best. I really like the look of the 90* turn...so that will be done next time it's above freezing outside.

Thanks!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
If BobbyMac doesn't see this, contact him. He has his turned out like that. I think it looks great that way. I don't think his are all the way to the side, but close.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
If BobbyMac doesn't see this, contact him. He has his turned out like that. I think it looks great that way. I don't think his are all the way to the side, but close.

Those are my stock pipes, Zoom. LOL

I do have mine turned out to the side and there are two set screws on the top tip and bottom tip....not just one. These pipes do have baffles in them, too.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It IS an exhaust leak I have, because I can feel the exhaust puffing from the joints.
Here is what I did, go to the auto parts store and buy some exhaust/muffler sealer, it is in a small tube like silicone and costs a couple bucks. Put a layer of it inside the mufflers where the pipes slide in, then also purchase two additional hose clamps, one for each muffler. That really helped mine and NO LEAKS!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Here is what I did, go to the auto parts store and buy some exhaust/muffler sealer, it is in a small tube like silicone and costs a couple bucks. Put a layer of it inside the mufflers where the pipes slide in, then also purchase two additional hose clamps, one for each muffler. That really helped mine and NO LEAKS!
:agree: Here's what I used (Seapup's recommendation):

·
Registered
237 Posts
i got them&if u use a good gasket sealant u might get a way with leakage

ure better of welding as for turning the ends thats what i did i also drilled an xtra

hole&self tapped it,or use a bolt&self locking nut,ure right in doing this losing the

ends more so now that roadhse have gone would make ure exhausts usless!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Well guys, thanks for your help! I'll be spinning those tips around sometime this weekend I'm sure. I don't know about all of you...but I'm ready for some dang nice weather again!

Hope all of you have a Great Christmas!! May Santa treat you nice this year and give you all lots of new toys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts