M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question About Custom Exhaust

I like the look of these exhaust, but I am just concerned about bypassing the O2 sensor and such. What are the consequense of putting these exhaust on?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I asked the sell the same questiong as my original post and this was his reply..

I have a custom exhaust on my M109R already and there are no electrical connections anywhere. There is a mechanical kind of a butterfly set up with cables for something on the stock system but I am not really sure what it is for...would guess for some sort of smog device. My exhaust came with a little half moon shape piece of metal that I screwed onto the bike by the engine where the cables used to run on the stock exhaust but I am not sure what it accomplishes. Sorry I can not be of more help but I hope this answers some of your question. Regards, Mark

Any assistance about what I need to or purchase to make everything right would be appriciated.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,872 Posts
If you live in the U.S., you don't have to worry about the O2 sensors since we don't have them. If you live in Europe, Asia or Australia you have them and need to get O2 sensor eliminators, though some say you can just unhook them with no problems. Check out the Australian board since they deal with it all the time.

The butterfly device the seller mentioned is what you see as the SET valve on here. It's an exhaust tuning device, not a smog device. It has an actuator that the computer controls to position the butterfly. You can't just unhook it or you get an FI light, which is what the half-moon piece he mentioned is for. It mounts on the actuator and fools it into thinking it's still hooked to the exhaust. You either need that piece or you can pull a wire on the computer to disable it. Either is easy to do. There are links in the FAQ at the top of this page on how to do either.

Other than that, the only consequence I see of installing them is a rapid loss of hearing. Those suckers have to be loud. :eek:

And you'll probably need a fuel tuner if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Zoom. I ordered the cam from DLP and also have a Cobra FI2000R on the way.

Once again thanks,
:cop:

·
Registered
202 Posts
let us know how your ears fair after your first ride. Those things look like they pack a kick! I likes! :bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
the pipes usually come with the cam,
the part her refers to little half moon shape piece of metal

im thinking that is the cam.

my pipes came with one from DLP and im in Aust

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
or you could just not get the cam and disable it buy depinning the #7 pin in the ECU connector.:dontknow: just a thought.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Just thinking, are those pipes going to rob HP on the bike, do not look like there will be much if any back pressure.......................just a thought.

·
Registered
310 Posts
might have to have the fi light turned off...consequence is that ur m109r will sound beeter than a harley...lol..i have a set off bub pipes on mine the dealer put em on and did something to the computer..love em sound great..

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
I like the look of these exhaust, but I am just concerned about bypassing the O2 sensor and such. What are the consequense of putting these exhaust on?
There's a good reason behind the nickname for those pipes... "Streetsweeper!" :evil: Speaking from experience... just warn your friends not to ride on your right side. :D For that matter, watch out when you start your bike up while parked on the right side of the street next to a curb... you're going to get blasted with debris. :-\

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
There's a good reason behind the nickname for those pipes... "Streetsweeper!" :evil: Speaking from experience... just warn your friends not to ride on your right side. :D For that matter, watch out when you start your bike up while parked on the right side of the street next to a curb... you're going to get blasted with debris. :-\
:agree:the Bassani Pro Stock pipes do the same:bigthumbsup:

when I have a cager riding my azz too close I just open 'er up, and DUSTCLOUD!! but then again, this is a desert:D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts