M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is removing the rear wheel as easy as the owner's manual makes it seem? Is it really just a matter of removing two bolts and the axle and just sliding the wheel away from the hub? Do you need a special tool to remove the axle? It's getting real close to the time to remove my wheel to change the tire, and I found a guy that would install the 280 Metz for $20 as long as I removed the wheel myself.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Is removing the rear wheel as easy as the owner's manual makes it seem? Is it really just a matter of removing two bolts and the axle and just sliding the wheel away from the hub? Do you need a special tool to remove the axle? It's getting real close to the time to remove my wheel to change the tire, and I found a guy that would install the 280 Metz for $20 as long as I removed the wheel myself.
Follow the Owners Manual directions and you'll have no problems. It helps if you have a motorcycle jack :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But how do you pull the axle? Do you need a special tool? When reinstalling it, do you need to align gear teeth and such?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Medic1210 said:
But how do you pull the axle? Do you need a special tool? When reinstalling it, do you need to align gear teeth and such?
Remove the cotter key for the axle castle nut, loosen the nut and tap the nut with a piece of brass while lifting up on the tire and the axle will start to slide out. Remove the nut and pull the axle. Move the wheel to the right while lifting it slightly and pull it to the rear. With the tire removed you can see the splines. Reverse the procedure by lifting the wheel in place and moving it to the left and aligning the splines etc. If you've never removed a wheel from a shaft driven cycle get in touch with a friend who has and get some help.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Sounds Easy enough  :joke:

Medic... please let me know after you have put some miles on that 280 how you like it... I have about 1000 miles left on my 260 and want to go up to the 280 on the stock rim, but... I ride the twisties pretty hard and am a little concerned about how it will corner with the 280.

I know JR has done a ton of Burn outs with this setup, and probably taken it to the track a few times, but he lives in Florida... so how twistie can he ride?? 
:joke:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JUtah said:
Sounds Easy enough :joke:

Medic... please let me know after you have put some miles on that 280 how you like it... I have about 1000 miles left on my 260 and want to go up to the 280 on the stock rim, but... I ride the twisties pretty hard and am a little concerned about how it will corner with the 280.

I know JR has done a ton of Burn outs with this setup, and probably taken it to the track a few times, but he lives in Florida... so how twistie can he ride??
:joke:
I'll let you know. I talked to my local dealer today to ask him if he would mount it. He was hesitant a bit, but I told him about the others on this site that have done it without issue. He said that as long as I understood it was not recommended, he would do it. I also mentioned that I read of a few cases where people have had issue getting the bead to seat right away and he said it may cost a bit more if he has to fight with it too much. He told me he can have it in his store in a day for $206, so I'll end up buying it from him. Direct has good prices, but I guess the dealer wants the business. I'm like you in that I like hitting the twisties too. My heat shield is getting flattened in the first bend more and more each time I ride from dragging the pipes. I guess there may be a bit of a change in corner characteristics just because it's a bigger tire, but if there is, I'll only divulge that if asked personally in a PM though.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Medic1210 said:
I'll let you know. I talked to my local dealer today to ask him if he would mount it. He was hesitant a bit, but I told him about the others on this site that have done it without issue. He said that as long as I understood it was not recommended, he would do it. I also mentioned that I read of a few cases where people have had issue getting the bead to seat right away and he said it may cost a bit more if he has to fight with it too much. He told me he can have it in his store in a day for $206, so I'll end up buying it from him. Direct has good prices, but I guess the dealer wants the business. I'm like you in that I like hitting the twisties too. My heat shield is getting flattened in the first bend more and more each time I ride from dragging the pipes. I guess there may be a bit of a change in corner characteristics just because it's a bigger tire, but if there is, I'll only divulge that if asked personally in a PM though.
PM Sent... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts