M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys...this might seem like a dumb question but I havent experimented yet and am wondering..... are you installing your LED lights behind your foam precleaner or between it and the grill?? I was thinking about it last night and just dont know if enough light will pass through the precleaner foam if you put it behind. If its in between...did you use a spacer of sort to keep the foam away from the grill?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Dave

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i dont have one of them but you should be able to put them right on the cover and it should light up fine,but you might want ot see what someone with that mod has to say.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Pull the covers off. Take the chrome part of the air cleaner off. Stick the LED to the top with the LED facing down. Drill a small hole just big enough for the wire in the back part of the air cleaner (the black piece). Put the wire through the hole and attach the 2 pieces toget her then wire them up. You will have plenty of light coming through the air cleaner. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Pull the covers off. Take the chrome part of the air cleaner off. Stick the LED to the top with the LED facing down. Drill a small hole just big enough for the wire in the back part of the air cleaner (the black piece). Put the wire through the hole and attach the 2 pieces toget her then wire them up. You will have plenty of light coming through the air cleaner. Hope this helps.
very good. by the way I see your bike has lots of leds. Besides underneath the tank and the radiator and the filters where else did you installed them? I have not installed the ones in the fenders since I dont think the tape will hold. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
488 Posts
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
735 Posts
As soon as I get my Knight Rider LED light I will have 500 LED'S. I have them on my front calipers under the front fender (make sure they are the flexable led's). In the air cleaners , under the tank , on the bottom of the frame , under the speedo , around the engine area , under the bottom of the back fender , in my chrome swingarm cover , under the seat cowl , two pods by the rear tag facing down , in my radiator , under my tach housing I think that is it. I bought a kit from Custom Dynamics and then added on from there. The rest I got from Auto Zone and Advanced Auto (Discount) they are cheaper and they are the flexable ones. If you are looking for an odd color like I did my sons bike I got some of his from Ozium.com The photo I have now there is only 16 strips of lights and now I will have 31 as soon as I get the Knight Rider LED.

·
Registered
766 Posts
As soon as I get my Knight Rider LED light I will have 500 LED'S. I have them on my front calipers under the front fender (make sure they are the flexable led's). In the air cleaners , under the tank , on the bottom of the frame , under the speedo , around the engine area , under the bottom of the back fender , in my chrome swingarm cover , under the seat cowl , two pods by the rear tag facing down , in my radiator , under my tach housing I think that is it. I bought a kit from Custom Dynamics and then added on from there. The rest I got from Auto Zone and Advanced Auto (Discount) they are cheaper and they are the flexable ones. If you are looking for an odd color like I did my sons bike I got some of his from Ozium.com The photo I have now there is only 16 strips of lights and now I will have 31 as soon as I get the Knight Rider LED.
ok. I have them in the botton of the engine, under the tank, and under the rear seat. How do you get them under the fenders?? Where exactly around the engine did you place them? I did not put them under the fenders since I did not think the tape would hold due to the irregular surface. Waiting for ducks custom made mold to arrive in two weeks to install it there too.

·
Registered
735 Posts
In the motor area I just found flat spots out of the way so they would not be seen. I took the front fender off and took some emry cloth or you could use a fine sand paper and just scuffed up the area you will place the LED. Make sure you clean the sanded area before placing the LED. I used the LED'S from Advanced Auto or Auto Zone because they are vary flexable. Make sure you bring the wires out by the brake hoses so they will blend in with the hoses.

·
Registered
262 Posts
ok. I have them in the botton of the engine, under the tank, and under the rear seat. How do you get them under the fenders?? Where exactly around the engine did you place them? I did not put them under the fenders since I did not think the tape would hold due to the irregular surface. Waiting for ducks custom made mold to arrive in two weeks to install it there too.
Hey bro....I think I sent you the 3m tape you need for mounting the lights on the fenders. That's all I use for all my installs and never had any failures as of yet....I have a total of 754 lights on mine and the 3m tape is all I use.

If your worried about it sticking, use rubbing alcohol first and clean the spot real good and let it dry for a bit then apply the tape. 3m usually takes 24 hours to set real good but when it does its on there!!

And to the OP....

Using the "stingerz" style of lights you can fit 2 24s in each airbox and that should be more light than you need! 48 lights in each box is a ton of light!

Let me know if you need help with the install or if you need lights....I carry these type and can get you them fairly cheap!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yeah I love the Stingers most of the lights on my bike are Stingers. Do like he said use rubbing alcohol to wipe down. Just buy a bottle.

·
Registered
427 Posts
To tugboat-- what kind of 3M tape did you use? thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
To tugboat-- what kind of 3M tape did you use? thanks
you can pick it up at auto zone....it comes in a roll with red backing, bout a 1/4 inch wide....i personally use the industrial version. its a little bit stickier but does the same job....i get mine in a big AZZ role.

role should run you about 8 bucks.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
be sure to use the 3M promoter as well. it makes the led's stick to whatever it is your mounting them too very well.

follow sean's (tugboat) advice and fill up the air covers with a good amount of led' for some good glow.

here are some pics of mine, and a close up of the covers:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info guys! As always....no matter the question...someone here has done it well, and we can all benefit from their knowledge :bow:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hey bro....I think I sent you the 3m tape you need for mounting the lights on the fenders. That's all I use for all my installs and never had any failures as of yet....I have a total of 754 lights on mine and the 3m tape is all I use.

If your worried about it sticking, use rubbing alcohol first and clean the spot real good and let it dry for a bit then apply the tape. 3m usually takes 24 hours to set real good but when it does its on there!!

And to the OP....

Using the "stingerz" style of lights you can fit 2 24s in each airbox and that should be more light than you need! 48 lights in each box is a ton of light!

Let me know if you need help with the install or if you need lights....I carry these type and can get you them fairly cheap!
Hey Tugboat , you sure did but I ran out and ordered some more already. By the way the leds and the controls you sent me are GREAT. Just wanted to know of other locations where I can place them for when I get the tape. I always drool looking at some of the other bikes that they post here. Did not install them in the rear fender since the surface is not reguular annd thought that perhaps they will not stick well. Also, never thought of taking the fender off. That might do the trick and allow for better placement.

·
Registered
766 Posts
be sure to use the 3M promoter as well. it makes the led's stick to whatever it is your mounting them too very well.

follow sean's (tugboat) advice and fill up the air covers with a good amount of led' for some good glow.

here are some pics of mine, and a close up of the covers:

AWESOME!!! between you and swt109 you got darn good looking lights-hope help me to get my bike lighted like that

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I used airplane modeling foam. The type for "Foamy" indoor flyers,
about $6 for a 3`X4` 1/8" thick sheet to make a glow effect

1 - 20 of 30 Posts