M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the bike put back together tonight from my LED/HID install...everything went back together perfectly! I pull it outside to fire it up for the first time in about a week and a half. Ran great for about 30 seconds, and then it started to idle way down and eventually dies! I cranked it back up, ran for two seconds and died again. After this, it wouldn't crank unless I touched the throttle a little, and then as soon as I let off it would die again.

I pulled the tank, checked connections, and then unplugged the negative on the battery while I came upstairs to check and SEARCH the forum. The main problem I found on here was about high idle...nothing that sounded like my issues. I gave it like 15 mins while I searched on here, and then went back down to try it out again.

I hooked it back up, hit the switch and it was fine! Ran just like it should have...but I want to know what caused this?? Was the air/fuel mixture wrong and I had to reset the comp to straighten it out? Or was it just a freak thing? I read about the fuel filter, and wire connections...connections were good, and I doubt it was the fuel filter since it's fine after 15 mins and would run with the slightest touch of the throttle. The bike is stock performance wise, and it only has LEDs (appx 270), the HID kit, and a simple audio system. It's never done that before...just really got me wondering what the problem was?

I'd appreciate anyone's input that's willing to throw out an idea!

Thanks folks,
Matt
SL8ON

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
What did you unplug under the tank while you were installing the HID's and LED's? And was the battery disconnected while you were doing the installation?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disconnected the fuel line, brown plug, and the rubber hose at the back of the tank. All went back together fine...and I didn't disconnect the battery before I removed the tank, only when I was wiring the LEDs, hid, and getting it all put back together. When I reinstalled the tank and plugged everything back in, the battery WAS connected. I didn't disconnect it until I tried to troubleshoot the problem and reset the computer....assuming that disconnecting the negative cable will reset the computer...I know it works on fuel injected cars, so I figured the bike was the same to a certain extent. And the FI light never came on either....I figured if something was messed up with the fuel system, it might have come on.

Thank you for the reply Zoom....you're always awesome

SL8ON

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fuel strainer?

What about your fuel strainer? Mine did the same, after sitting in the garage over vinter. I changed the strainer, and had no problems after that.

-Jess

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
I'd say it was just a glitch from the battery being disconnected. Mine acts a little odd every time I pull the tank off, the fuel gauge reads wrong, it does start up sometimes differently, etc. And disconnecting the battery does reset the ECU just like a car. If it's working now I'd not worry about it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I'd say it was just a glitch from the battery being disconnected. Mine acts a little odd every time I pull the tank off, the fuel gauge reads wrong, it does start up sometimes differently, etc. And disconnecting the battery does reset the ECU just like a car. If it's working now I'd not worry about it.
:agree: Unless you have the problems again with more of a constant issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zoom, how do you fix it if the gauge reads wrong? I noticed mine might have been wrong last night. The first time I turned the bike on, it showed 1/2 tank and that's about what it felt like it had in it when I was having to manhandle the tank back on the bike. But after I came back down and started it back up, the gauge was on the last dot and the dummy light was flashing. Do I need to pull the cable again to reset that, or will it fix itself after it's ridden or filled up?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about your fuel strainer? Mine did the same, after sitting in the garage over vinter. I changed the strainer, and had no problems after that.

-Jess
I have only had the bike sitting about a week and a half since it was ridden. I took it to the shop for a full service, and then came back to the house and pulled the tank and headlight to work on my lights. It was all put back together in a little over a week at the most, so it hadn't been sitting very long at all....and just for grins, where is the strainer? Is this the same thing as the filter others have mentioned in other threads?

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Your fuel gauge will start reading correctly after you ride her a little bit the next time....no worries. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your fuel gauge will start reading correctly after you ride her a little bit the next time....no worries. :bigthumbsup:
Awesome man, thanks!

I appreciate all of you helping...I'm always on the forum, and it's great when you have a question and folks jump in to help out.

Y'all have a good one!

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I have only had the bike sitting about a week and a half since it was ridden. I took it to the shop for a full service, and then came back to the house and pulled the tank and headlight to work on my lights. It was all put back together in a little over a week at the most, so it hadn't been sitting very long at all....and just for grins, where is the strainer? Is this the same thing as the filter others have mentioned in other threads?
The fuel filter/screen is in the tank hooked to the fuel pump..........It is very fragile, so be careful when handling it...... If you choose to change it......and they are $55.........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts