M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend, BPaige, and I installed the DDM HID (55w 10000k) kit on our bikes this weekend. His went first, and worked awesome...bright as piss 8) and has the hi/low function.

Well, mine works...BUT won't go from high to low:doh:!! I can hear the magnet trying to do something in the headlight, but it won't move the bulb. The other light makes a noticable clunk when it goes from hi to low, and mine just makes a light tick noise and doesn't change anything.

I have searched, and the only thing I found dealing with the same problem was when someone said they received a bad wiring harness from DDM...does anyone have any other suggestions or do I need to wait until Monday and contact DDM?

I really want to wrap up this project, but dang this is such a bummer....

Thanks a lot folks!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Sorry to hear you got issues , I have had that problem but it was after i had the headlight Bucket off and it turned out to be a bad bulb ,its possible you got a bad transformer i guess , but the onlly safe way to diag is to Try a" Known Good Part"

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
Did you take the bulb and base apart to install it? If you did, make sure you rotated the two dots back to the right alignment.

I'd pull the light back out of the socket, remove the bulb from the base, then see if the magnet moves more. Mine makes a pretty distinctive click when it switches from low to high. I could see it not switching if the bulb was in a bind as it has to move it back into the base to switch from hi to low.

·
Registered
143 Posts
that stinks....maybe just a faulty unit.

On a side note, if it is, I would recommend the 35w kit. the extra wattage is only gonna get hotter in that plastic housing and not worth the negligible brightness. Just my .02 :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you take the bulb and base apart to install it? If you did, make sure you rotated the two dots back to the right alignment.

I'd pull the light back out of the socket, remove the bulb from the base, then see if the magnet moves more. Mine makes a pretty distinctive click when it switches from low to high. I could see it not switching if the bulb was in a bind as it has to move it back into the base to switch from hi to low.
Well, I fixed the light! I took it apart again today and re-traced all the wires and checked the plugs...also looked at the bulb to check for binds but the bulb didn't move at all. Well, it turns out I had a plug in the wrong spot. There is a lead that goes to the other bulb side (car system) and the magnet plug was plugged into that bulb instead of the correct one. The plug I needed was hidden behind the whole headlight assembly. So I found the problem, switched the plug, turned the light on and all worked great.

Thanks, to the three of you who decided to help me.

SL8ON

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
Great, glad you found it. I didn't think about it being plugged in wrong as most of the plugs can't be switched.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Great, glad you found it. I didn't think about it being plugged in wrong as most of the plugs can't be switched.
I know in the A&R kit they can not be switched. They all connect with what comes in the kit besides the 3 pin headlight bulb.

Glad you have it fixed up and are back to seeing correctly. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's hard to explain without seeing the wiring...but there is a lead for the opposite headlight if it were in a car, and while I was bundling that up and tucking it away, I accidentally shoved the correct plug out the back of the headlight apparently...so the only one I could see was the wrong one. It was still trying to move the magnet, and would have if there had been a bulb on the other side of the car haha. Just a little oops...at leastI didn't make the embarrassing call to DDM complaining about their product when it was my mistake the whole time!

All seems to be good now...thanks again Zoom!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts