M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried googling this but didn't really come up with an explanation I found useful...

When you turn the key on the bike (Or any other fuel injected bike I imagine?) you get that whiney/windup noise that comes from under the tank.

I've always wanted to know what that sound was, or more importantly... what is physically happening that causes that sound? Does that sound continue when the engine is running but its too loud to hear?

Thanks smart guys of the forum!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
I tried googling this but didn't really come up with an explanation I found useful...

When you turn the key on the bike (Or any other fuel injected bike I imagine?) you get that whiney/windup noise that comes from under the tank.

I've always wanted to know what that sound was, or more importantly... what is physically happening that causes that sound? Does that sound continue when the engine is running but its too loud to hear?

Thanks smart guys of the forum!! :bigthumbsup:
Electric fuel pump in the tank-priming the fuel rails with the right amount of pressure for the fuel injectors to work:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
:agree::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
that is also how you can diag a bad fuel pump, no buzz no power to pump.

its good to know what all the sounds and things mean.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
also at the same time your butterflies open and shut, or at least on my gixxer engines the do
I the "butterflies" you mean the plates at the throttle bodies, only the throttle cable controls them. Now the buterflie closes and opens in the stock pipes, hence the squeek sound. But he seemed to be talking about the sound coming from under the tank.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I the "butterflies" you mean the plates at the throttle bodies, only the throttle cable controls them. Now the buterflie closes and opens in the stock pipes, hence the squeek sound. But he seemed to be talking about the sound coming from under the tank.
oh , I just assumed the 9 does this because the gixxers do . :dontknow: shows what I know lol

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
Yes, the secondary (upper) butterflies do on the 109. The primary (lower) butterflies are controlled via the throttle cables.
And the secondaries are also are the ones that sound like a bellows collapsing when you turn it off. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts