M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have kind of a dumb question. I've been reading up on the spacer mod by CBR1000 to help the 1st and 2nd gear issues. I'm going to be doing my 500 mile oil change this week and figure I'll try this then. I've read the how twos and feel confident I can do it. I've done clutches on my car, but I wanted to safe myself some trouble. Which chrome cover needs to come off to access the spring to put the spacer on? Is there a pic anywhere of exactly which cover or can someone describe for me?

Also I'm putting in AMSOIL 10w 40 for my first oil change and royal purple synthetic gear oil 75w 90. Anyone have experience with this and if so was it a good one or would you advice against either of these products after the 500mile intial oil change.
Thanks guys,
Michael

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Left side

It's the chrome cover behind my boot, 3, 4 mm allen bolts.

When you get it off, you'll see this:

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
74 Posts
i've never personally used the amsoil. I've read a couple of people who did and had problems. It has scared me away from it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
CBR's mod works very well to make the shifting solid. I did it on mine before purchasing the shift start. Costs practically nothing and is easy to do.

I've also used Amsoil in my bike since it had 600 miles on it with no issues. I'm nearing 20,000 now. I used to run 10w-40 year round but last summer I started using Mobil 1 20w-50 in it and I like that for the summer months. Both improve the shifting and quietness of the bike. I would use the Amsoil 20w-50 in it too, but I have a couple changes of the 10w-40 still sitting around and can get the Mobil 1 locally.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Guys,
Did the mod myself a couple of weeks back and it does make a difference.
For anyone still wondering what they can use as a spacer, I found this 'Collet' from one of my RC Planes landing gear worked perfectly.
Loctite the grub screw and you're good to go.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I didn't switch to a synthetic until I had plenty of break-in miles at the request of my dealer. I think it was 3500 when I switched and eventually ended up with Amsoil purchased through Oildoc here on the forums...just placed a double order last night before the prices go up, as a matter of fact :bigthumbsup: I only used Royal Purple for the rear diff once and now use Amsoil for that too. I have 18,000 now and everything is working "fluidly" if you can excuse the expression.

·
Registered
550 Posts
After a couple of miss shifts when I first had my 9 I did this mod and noticed that it was better about going into 2 gear. I will say that by learning the trick of shifting strong and all the way thru 2nd with my foot helped just as much. On my repair I didnt put the spacer in I formed (bent) the spring to increase the spring pressure. I have also done this mod to other bikes ive owned over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts