M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will grips manufactured by HD fit the 9? I have the stockers on the 9 now and I really don't like the Kury iso. HD sure do make some nice grips, let me know guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Yes and no.

If you get the HD ones made for 1" bars and dual throttle cables, then yes, they will fit.

HD makes other variations on grips, so there are a portion of their grips that will not fit.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
Make sure they are for a push-pull cable system and they fit. Anything from the late 90's up to 2007 is the same as ours, as long as they are for 1" bars.

Something to be aware of though. They don't all fit directly. I have a set on mine that were originally sold as fitting a HD and I had to make a couple mods to get them to work. I had to bore the hole in the controls bigger, and also shorten the bars by about 3/4" on each end.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to bore the hole in the controls bigger, and also shorten the bars by about 3/4" on each end.
Yikes! Don't want to go that route. Doesn't the after market grips slide right on as long as it's the right bar diameter?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
Yikes! Don't want to go that route. Doesn't the after market grips slide right on as long as it's the right bar diameter?
They slide on over the bar OK, providing they are long enough, but they also go inside the right side control housing. Look at your stock grips and you can see how they work. The end where the cables hook is inside the control housing, which is also what holds the throttle side on. They have a round area between where the cables mount and the actual grips that the control housings "trap" to hold them on. That means to install them you have to take the control housing apart, remove the cables, install the new grips and reattach the cables, and reassemble the control housing. It's not hard but the cables can be difficult to get off and back on.

On the clutch side they either glue on or have set screws to hold them in place. The all metal grips usually have 3 set screws on the clutch side.

Not all bikes work this way. Some have a throttle sleeve that stays on the bike and has the cables attached. The new grips just slide over the sleeve, similar to the way the clutch side attaches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts