M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas,

When I got my 2017 M109R in 2020 it came with Freedom pipes and power commander pre installed and I never got the OEM pipes.

Ive found it to be louder than I want (even with baffles in), so....Im getting a set of OEM pipes for it (hopefully this weekend).

My question is.....

What do I do with the Power Commander ?

1) Leave it on (what are the impacts of OEM pipes with a PC .....Over feeling ?)
2) Remove it ? If I remove it, is it as simple as un-plug it and just drive on, or are there other procedures to put the ECU back to OEM specification ?

thanks !!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,627 Posts
You can do either one. It might make it a little rich if you leave it in, but they run lean from the factory. If you want to remove it, just unplug it. They work inline with the ECU so the ECU really is not changed.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Power Commander has nothing to do with the ECU. It is a stand alone aftermarket device.
If you decide to disconnect it, you will need to disconnect it from the injectors and TPS as well as the battery.
You cannot disconnect it from the battery alone.

If you decide to leave it on the bike you will likely need to download a new map off the Dynojet site and write that new map to the power commander.
The tune for the freedom exhaust will not be the same as for the stock exhaust.
You can either download a zero map with sets the power commander maps to zero so they are not influencing the fuel trims at all.
Or you can download a map for the stock exhaust.

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

does the "download" require some cables and a laptop ? (none of which I have)

If I do nothing with the PC and just swap the pipes, what issues/symptoms could I likely encounter ?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,627 Posts
You need to download the new file to something that has a USB connection on it, then you connect a USB cable from that device to the Power Commander and download the file to it. Actually you are updating the firmware on it, That's the way they worked at least through the PC3, I'm not sure if they changed them to bluetooth after that. Look at the unit and see what you have and you can find download instructions all over the internet.

If you just leave it in place and connected, it probably won't do anything that you will notice, As I said, it will probably run a little richer than without it, but you may find it runs better that way, Just try it and see, it won't do anything to the bike.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Actually you are updating the firmware on it
Writing a map to the Power Commander is changing the user configurable files. (Maps)
Firmware has to do with updating the operating software, not the user configurable files. (Maps).
When writing (downloading) a map to the power commander you are changing the numerical values in the individual map cells. The power commander outputs these values as addition to or subtraction to/from the pulse-width (time) of the injector opening, based on your RPM & throttle position.
When updating firmware you are making changing changes to the operating software that interacts and executes these user configurable maps.

I know, I know.....Potato - potato really for all anyone here is concerned, but it is actually two different animals........just throwing it out there to keep conversation on the up & up. :)

And just for S&G, here is one more quick tidbit that covers your use of the term download when speaking of sending data in both directions. You did use the term correctly in both instances, but this does trip some people up.

You Upload to the internet/intranet/cloud and you Download from the internet/intranet/cloud
But you Upload from a programable device and Download to a programable device.

This is not so hard for those of us who where not raised having internet and were not exposed to it until we were adults. But the younger folks coming into the programing fields seem to have a tougher time with this terminology in the beginning. They learned to speak internet first and programing is now like learning a second language for them.
I teach the trainees to remember it this way.....

Picture the internet being in the sky (cloud) so it is above you and you have to UPload to it and DOWNload from it.
Then when you are programing a device (PLC,PAC, Microprocessor, Fuel Tuner, etc) picture that you are setting your laptop on top of the device. So the device is below your laptop and you have to DOWNload to it and UPload from it.

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
I have a Dyno Jet Power Commander V in my B-King. It is still just a USB connection. Remove the box from the bike, plug it into your computer or phone, download the applicable file, put it back on the bike and roll on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Consider Moore mafia - they can do an inexpensive ship and return ecu remap to eliminate the pops and bangs and make that freedom smooth flow with a far superior tune. Might not need to can the freedom

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers !

the freedom is just LOUD !! even with baffles

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Im new and watched the moore mafia youtube videos and impressed cuz i had those issues. Looking forward to learning more through this forum!
The member I was speaking of was me.
"Most" on here know that, although it appears there may still be one or two who do not.
If you are interest send me a PM and I can give you the details.

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Registered
538 Posts
Have you thought about wrapping your baffles 1 st .
Their is many different types of wraps and might bring decibel level down
More towards 90 which is tolerable ! I know those pipes are loud you might
Have to stuff them !!! For the 1/2 hour it takes to do ,you never know .
It’s just a idea maybe their isn’t enough room .

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
The member I was speaking of was me.
"Most" on here know that, although it appears there may still be one or two who do not.
If you are interest send me a PM and I can give you the details.

BCS
LGB/FJB
Sorry. Misunderstood the post. Not intending to hurt your business in any way, shape or form .

FJB.

LOL!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,627 Posts
I was under the impression he did. I thought he was the first one to do them.
Are you maybe thinking of Scorp? He started doing them a long time ago, but I don't know if he ever really made a business of it. I used to talk to Matt at the MAMs and I don't remember talking about flashing. It could be he got into it though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you thought about wrapping your baffles 1 st .
Their is many different types of wraps and might bring decibel level down
More towards 90 which is tolerable ! I know those pipes are loud you might
Have to stuff them !!! For the 1/2 hour it takes to do ,you never know .
It’s just a idea maybe their isn’t enough room .

As far as I can tell thats not possible to wrap them. The "quiet pipes Baffle" for the "sharp curve radius freedom" pipes I have is basically 2 new end sections of the pipe. you remove the straight pipe and bolt on the new quiet pipe, there isnt a removable sleeve in mine.

Im pretty sure I have the baffled pipes already, if I look up inside the end of the pipes I see what looks like fish scales sticking down inside the pipe, but there is no "space" between those fish scales and the outer wall of the pipes to wrap it. I may see if there are even quieter baffles but... I have a set of OEM pipes here now.

Buddy of mine has the un-silenced sharp curve freedom's and his are just smooth walled inside with no fish scales.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So it turns out I do NOT have the quiet pipes. theyre the baffled LOUD pipes.

I assume id have to down load a new PowerCommader tune if I put the Freedom quiet baffles on it too ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts