M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I just installed my Stebel horn tonight with Ryno's harness. It was FUN with that set-up! OMG is this thing loud! Definate must-do mod!

The only problem I had was I broke a few of those darn plastic push in fasteners. The two that hold the back on the headlight nacelle and the two that hold the tops of the side panels on the frame. Are all of these fasteners the same or are they differnet depending on where they are on the bike?

One other question, the screws in the sides if the headlight nacelle are both acting like the threads they are going into are stripped out. I barely put any torque on them at all. They look like metal threads. Am I missing something here?

G

·
Hi All. I just installed my Stebel horn tonight with Ryno's harness. It was FUN with that set-up! OMG is this thing loud! Definate must-do mod!

The only problem I had was I broke a few of those darn plastic push in fasteners. The two that hold the back on the headlight nacelle and the two that hold the tops of the side panels on the frame. Are all of these fasteners the same or are they differnet depending on where they are on the bike?

One other question, the screws in the sides if the headlight nacelle are both acting like the threads they are going into are stripped out. I barely put any torque on them at all. They look like metal threads. Am I missing something here?
The push pins are different sizes. I think there are at least 3 different ones on the bike. I have used molly screws to replace some of mine. You know, the kind that use the plastic incert.

On the nacelle I'd be willing to bet you missed the hole. They do screw in to metal. If you catch the side of the frame that holds the threaded hole it feels like it's screwing in, but your not in the hole.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but does anyone has any suggestions as to the easiest method to remove these push-pins without damaging either the paint or the pin itself? I have to remove the one on top, the one holding the radiator covers in place in order to install my engine guards, and I'm afraid to scratch the crap out of that section.:dontknow:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Find a small object and push the pin directly in the center with moderate pressure, and it should release.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
just bought 5 of them from the dealer.... they are Suzuki small plastic fasteners..... they know what they are just tell them the small one... $1.70 some each.. and the smallest hex driver will push the middle in to remove..:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Thanks a bunch Guys... I am glad I asked; I was about to take a small flathead screw-driver to get underneath the outer portion of the pin and dig around its diameter until it came out:dontknow:. In other words, I was about to commit a major NO-NO:-[ Thanks again:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but does anyone has any suggestions as to the easiest method to remove these push-pins without damaging either the paint or the pin itself? I have to remove the one on top, the one holding the radiator covers in place in order to install my engine guards, and I'm afraid to scratch the crap out of that section.:dontknow:
Find a small object and push the pin directly in the center with moderate pressure, and it should release.
:agree: I use a pick. It looks like a dental tool. I have taken about 100 of them off with no issues.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts

It does ROCK. I think the horn is a MUST MOD also. Pm sent on hints.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
Thanks a bunch Guys... I am glad I asked; I was about to take a small flathead screw-driver to get underneath the outer portion of the pin and dig around its diameter until it came out:dontknow:. In other words, I was about to commit a major NO-NO:-[ Thanks again:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
The complete process to remove AND install them:

Push in on the center until it clicks. It will drop down about 1/16". Now you can pull it out with your finger.

Before installing, push the center of the pin up through the top until it clicks. It will be up about 1/8" and the lower legs on the pin will be tighter together. Push the pin in and while holding it in place push the center in until it clicks and is flush with the top. This spreads the lower legs of the pin and holds it in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts