M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have been drooling over this bike for over seven years. I had the money in hand to purchase the M109R LE several years and needed to re-align the money due to an emergency the night before the purchase. So... here I am several years later ready to pull the throttle again. I just test-drove a local bike with 39,000 miles on it. The bike was well cared for in immaculate condition who's owner has 3 other well-cared for bikes in his possession. While on the ride, I first noticed the clutch shutter issue that has been thoroughly expressed over the years. I also noticed some type of a vibration when I went over 3500 RPM's in any gear. My questions... Should I be overly concerned about any of these things? How excessive is 39,000 miles on this bike... or any bike for that matter? I am contemplating the Yamaha Raider as a runner up. I'd appreciate any feedback that you can offer on this as well. Thank you in advance for your comments. Doug

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Sounds like the Clutch slips and the Motor mounts are due. If you want second best, get the Raider, if you want a dream fulfilled, keep searching or haggle the price and get them done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't buy it if you think it has issues. I'm sure there are more 9's in your area for sale. Like Skidder said the raider is second best:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I agree, I don't know what you plan on spending but there are more than enough used and leftover bikes out there to not have to deal with any suspected issue's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know what your budget is, but there are LOTS of 9's on the market around here. There's a 2011 with 13k miles for 7k. I've seen a couple '12s for around 8-8.5k, still low miles. You can surely do better. Unless you like tinkering with your bike more than riding, be patient and wait for a good deal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Budget

What year LE are you looking for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I am budgeting for around 7k. May swing 8 if necessary. 07 seems to put me in that range. Only concern is that that year seems to be the worst with the clutch shutter. I live in Pittsburgh PA. Thanks M109Dreamer!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Budget

I don't know what your budget is, but there are LOTS of 9's on the market around here. There's a 2011 with 13k miles for 7k. I've seen a couple '12s for around 8-8.5k, still low miles. You can surely do better. Unless you like tinkering with your bike more than riding, be patient and wait for a good deal.
Thanks turboyoshi. I am shooting for 7k. May be able to swing 8 if necessary. Can you send me the link for the 2011 you mentioned if available? I appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Since you are not that far from the Canadian border, you may want to research the import duties and costs, but your dollar will go really far with M109s used around the 7ot8k CDN price range.

If there are some in the Toronto area, some of us could take a first look for you and send you pics/video prior to you making the trip.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks turboyoshi. I am shooting for 7k. May be able to swing 8 if necessary. Can you send me the link for the 2011 you mentioned if available? I appreciate your reply.
It's in Savannah, GA. Link here, I think it's a good deal, and I sure wouldn't buy anything earlier than an '08.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow turboyoshi! I wish it were closer to me!
Well it's probably worth a plane ticket. You'd still be ahead of the game getting an '11 that cheap. I say that not really knowing what plane tickets cost, since I hate flying. Maybe use a shipping company? I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it's probably worth a plane ticket. You'd still be ahead of the game getting an '11 that cheap. I say that not really knowing what plane tickets cost, since I hate flying. Maybe use a shipping company? I have no experience with them.
I contacted him. He is being deployed to Germany and needs to sell by Sunday. May re-list in Sep. when back. I really want to try to shoot for the LE. Thanks man.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I contacted him. He is being deployed to Germany and needs to sell by Sunday. May re-list in Sep. when back. I really want to try to shoot for the LE. Thanks man.
I found a brand new 2014 LE for $8992 and a few other new ones in the same price range on cycle trader. You can have a bike shipped almost anywhere in the US for around $400 - $500.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found a brand new 2014 LE for $8992 and a few other new ones in the same price range on cycle trader. You can have a bike shipped almost anywhere in the US for around $400 - $500.
That's a decent deal but... if he says $8k is stretching it, than it's unreasonable to expect him to go for $9k +TTL and probably doc fees, adding another $1k+ to his price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts