M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was finishing cleaning up the appearance of my bike by taking of the stickers and reflectors. As I was nearing completion, I decided to run the bike and let it idle for a bit and then check the oil since there was a little spot on the floor of the trailer I brought it home in. I ran it for about 15 minutes and then shut it off to cool down. It cooled for a few minutes and I pushed it back in the garage and noticed a puddle of oil on the ground where the bike had been sitting. It was a 1/4 deep and probably 1 foot wide by 1 1/2 feet long. :evil:

I measured the oil and it was still high on the dipstick. So I figured i'll just drain a little out and be good. Well no oil would drain until the plug came out. So I lost all the oil from the front plug. I remeasured the oil and now just a little bit is touching the dipstick.

I am 140 miles from the dealer that I bought it from. I even checked the oil after I bought it and it looked okay. Too hard to tell when the oil is almost clear. I will contact the dealer today to see if they will help me out with the cost of new oil to start fresh. After this I want to know it has the right amount in it from the start.

Is the oil puking consistent with what everyone else has had happen? Do I have to replace the cotton filter in the air box? I have 13 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
J R said:
Man I keep reading all this oil problem stuff :confused: Are these bikes really that much of a pain in the butt that the dealers cant even get them right??? I guess what I'm asking is doesn't the owners manuel say the bike holds X amount of oil then you just put that amount in and your good to go ? I have never really owned a bike that uses much oil but then im anal about changing it all the time :confused: Oiling isues are the last stinkin thing you need with any engine.I wonder if Suzuki is gonna warranty the first guy who doesent have enough oil in it from the dealer and the oil all runs away from the pick up and spins a bearing :verymad: Its gonna happen if that many people have problems with the oil system :confused: Also the crankshaft running thru all that extra oil has got to be robbing major H.P
They're all messing up because this bike is different than most others (other than Harley that is) meaning you put in about 3 ltrs of oil, run it for a min, put in the last 1/2 ltr of oil then run it for 15 mins, turn it off for 3 then check the oil. That's the only way to get an accurate reading. The dealerships are checking it cold like they do on most of their other bikes and adding oil until it looks correct. That's why when it warms up oil comes out the left air intake since there's about twice as much as needed.

Regarding the air filter replacement, it may or may not be necessary to change it. Mine had a slight bit of oil on it so the dealership is ordering a replacement, but nothing will be harmed by driving it until the new one arrives. Yours may not have oil on it as the air filter actually sits high up in the housing. Just check to make sure, or have the dealership check at your first service (make sure you educate them when you take it back) Fyi, my dealership is comping the first service ( I know, not much) for all the trouble they caused.

One final note, if you had a lot of oil dripping out of the air intake, even after you drain it to the correct amount you may still notice oil dripping. On my bike this was caused by oil accumulating in the baffles of the intake. The dealership cleaned it out pretty good, but occasionally I still see a drip or two. Oh, and I find it easier to check the oil after a ride...seems logical.

Later!

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
BlueM109R said:
Oh, and I find it easier to check the oil after a ride...seems logical.
You know that is the best way to do it I guess. If you check the oil after a ride and it's good or even if it needs a little it's not going to go anywhere before your next ride. Just seems like a backazzwards way to do it. :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Done and taken care of. Thanks to Lamonster for the photos on how to clean the Breather. That stuff has got to go. Hopefully we can get rid of that stuff soon. It seems like much ado about nothing. 15 mile loop tonight, let it cool for about 4 minutes, checked the oil, perfect! Thanks again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just to let everyone know that had the engine oil over flow problem. If you look at the picture with oil on the side cover, mine look just like that. BUT now the paint is bubbling up in that same area. Just talked to Suzuki and they told me to show the local dealer. That will be tommarow. I'll keep you informed.  Just to let you know also Suzuki stated that the more report they have to report back to the factory the more likely there is for a recall. That includes the shifting problem we are all having. For Suzuki Customer Service phone number 714-721-1490. It's on the top of my speed dail !!!   

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoa! I don't have any paint bubbling. The oil did dull the finish on the left chrome cover over the crankcase breather. Not to worry though. I am sure Lamonster will figure something out to remove all that crap on the left side of our motors. :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Black Streak said:
Just to let everyone know that had the engine oil over flow problem. If you look at the picture with oil on the side cover, mine look just like that. BUT now the paint is bubbling up in that same area. Just talked to Suzuki and they told me to show the local dealer. That will be tommarow. I'll keep you informed. Just to let you know also Suzuki stated that the more report they have to report back to the factory the more likely there is for a recall. That includes the shifting problem we are all having. For Suzuki Customer Service phone number 714-721-1490. It's on the top of my speed dail !!! Â
:D Looks like you started something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Talk about resurrecting the dead! That was when there were 20 of us talking as much crap as we could all night long!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Its a machine with its own Characteristics, just like our old cold natured cars,or a $50,000 Tahoe with a brake squeal, (I manage a GM dealer). Now we know the proper procedure to change the oil, it takes a little extra time, a small price to pay and one you soon forget after a twist of the throttle!
:Just my 2 cents, thanks for letting me ramble, I will go mix a drink now :beer3:

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeah...when I put on my Cobra Dragsters and the FI2000R.....I looked at the breathers and took them apart......sure enough...in the left breather was enough oil that it poured out...took it apart and cleaned it..... :D....by the way.......the pipes sound great :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I was thankful I wasn't the only person puking oil out the left breather. The first time I noticed it, I about Sharted!!! I thought my bike had something serious wrong with it. I should have let the stealer mechanics see my bike sitting on their concrete pad set up for bikes... I went there when the issue started (not knowing it was puking) and when I walked out, there was a big puddle of oil sitting right there where my bike was sitting :verymad: so I scooted outta there... leave them the aftermath of their mess up :evil:

·
Registered
331 Posts
So has anyone found a polite way to inform their dealers about how to fill the bike with oil? I'm three weeks out from purchase and I really don't wanna go through this oil crap. Although having it happen almost seems like it's a prerequisite to own the bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I picked up my boys bike last week. I asked dealer about the oil because of this site. He told me his mechanic's had to attend a Suzuki class to get the correct oil change down. Looks like your shop missed up. We changed his oil in the garage last night. We put in little over 3 quarts started bike for a couple of minutes then added a bit under 4 quarts. Took it for a drive came back and let it set again oil was diead on the full mark. Just under 4 quarts. I cant see why a dealer cant follow the instructions. Good luck bro. Boy has put on over 700 miles in a week. That 109 will blow my Roadstar in the dirt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts