M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a nice ride with my bro today. going up a long double lane hill so i cracked her open. he said there was 2 puffs of blue smoke and he smelled oil burn. I have not yet been to the dealer to get the oil overfill issue fixed. is the smoke from that?? this is the 2nd time i have been told when i romp on the gas it smokes.. anyone??

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Havn't seen any evidence of this yet. But then again, I'm looking forward.
I would just ask your bro to ride in front of you.
Then head to the dealer to have it tuned.
:p

·
Registered
78 Posts
SLOPOKE said:
wouldnt worry about it, whe ever you "Romp" on anything, you will have a bit of smoke.
I assume the smoke came from the exhaust? I don't think that's right to say it happens whenver you crack the throttle wide. I would worry if it smoked when I cracked it wide open. Check make sure you cleaned everything from the over-fill and see if it keeps happening. I would really hate to see oil burn smoke that quick, as I think it would mean I did a shit job of breaking it in.

Many people here know way more about this stuff than me, so this is just my .02

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same thing with my bike.... I took it in to the dealer after finding the oil was ok. I was told it was part of the breaking in process... He was right.. I don't have the problem anymore.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it's worth,I just noticed Today,right beside the black oil fill
plug/dipstick a plastic stick on with 3400 ml. I think maybe if you don't wait until
the engine reaches operating temp,there could be oil issues.With a sem-dry sump design,oil isn't circulating as fast as other cycles.Dry sump are used for racing.However Honda usedswet sump with good results.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
its your gas :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
maybe just burning off a little carbon build up on the valves - no biggie

G

·
TonyRumble said:
Went on a nice ride with my bro today. going up a long double lane hill so i cracked her open. he said there was 2 puffs of blue smoke and he smelled oil burn. I have not yet been to the dealer to get the oil overfill issue fixed. is the smoke from that?? this is the 2nd time i have been told when i romp on the gas it smokes.. anyone??Â
You know about the overfilled crankcase issue? Fix it. Check to see if you are indeed overfilled. If you are, don't ride it. You can damage your engine if it's overfilled with oil. Otherwise, if you're not overfilled, tell your bro it's just the afterburners kicking in...take care of your ride.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Crankcase vents into the airbox, PAIR vents into the exhaust..... if you over fill, your crank splashed oil everywhere.

Really see this on the dyno when someone over fills their oil, nothing like dropping hp and makeing your a/r sniffer readings off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This might help - I had something similar not too long after I picked up my bike and got on her for the first time... see

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1037.0

I've not seen a repeat of it, and just put 1200 miles on here last week (up to about 3k now). So I'm sure it's something to do with break-in, burn off of internal parts coating, or similar... I wouldn't worry about it unless you see it happen again.

J

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
TonyRumble said:
Went on a nice ride with my bro today. going up a long double lane hill so i cracked her open. he said there was 2 puffs of blue smoke and he smelled oil burn. I have not yet been to the dealer to get the oil overfill issue fixed. is the smoke from that?? this is the 2nd time i have been told when i romp on the gas it smokes.. anyone??
Your bro wasn't on a VTX or Vrod was he?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts