M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bigthumbsup:Considering all the recent stories of cagers cutting off or pulling out in front of my fellow 9ers and causing all this recent mayhem
I urge you to invest in your safety and I highly recommend that you put this mod on your bike now!!!!!!

Headlight Modulators
http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2 :hot: :bigthumbsup:

Its shinier than chrome :bigthumbsup:
It will attract more attention :bigthumbsup:
People will think you are popo :bigthumbsup:
Popo will asume you are a safe driver and overlook speeding infractions :bigthumbsup: (maybe)
Some cagers will actually pull over and get the @#$% out of the way :bigthumbsup:
Cagers pulling up on side streets will actually see you :bigthumbsup:
Chicks really dig this light modulation :bigthumbsup:
You will be safer :bigthumbsup:

Did I mention that chicks really dig these :bigthumbsup:...........(sex sells :D )

PS, I have no stakes in this company. I have been using this for 35K miles and I really see the difference in the way cagers react to this setup.
I believe this is my most important mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do people think popo is letting them in when their lights are flashing? These flash fast I have never had anyone mistake them for a courtesy flash.

Hid do stand out but they don't flash. I'm not sure that they stand out enough during the day. The reason that the Modulator works so well is that everyone is conditioned to respond to flashing lights.
Think about when you see flashing lights......think about it...........you know you react ......you check your speed and move over and out of the way if they are coming from behind .......hell you pull over if they are coming from the other direction :bigthumbsup:

In a perfect world I would modulate an Hid Light but that is currently not an option due to the characteristics of those very bright lights :doh:

My testimony is just that! It is my 35K miles of riding with this system and the reactions that I see.

At night I just blink in unison and its all good:eek: :D

Psych.................It turns off at night (light sensor)
That's when your lights are seen best and I just resort to flashing my high beam (yellow button) if needed:bigthumbsup:

You can pupu the modulator all you like
I'm trying to be seen with a flashing light
You like steady brightness, that's old school thought
I guess youv'e got to defend the tech that you bought
Don't bash me while I'm helping my brothers
You use one and I'll use the other
They both may work, you know that's true
Its good for our brothers to see what we do :D

I use a PIAA light ........its brighter than a standard bulb!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Y'know, its funny- I've seen these on bikes, from the other side of the highway sometimes, and they DO get ya noticed! In fact, they make me look over, and then shake my head muttering how I don't like them. So one half of my brain is saying 'Dude, these will definitely get you noticed and will make you safer', and the other half is saying ' I don't care- it looks like his battery is dying or something...just not cool looking'. Guess that makes me half an idiot.:confused: Well, to each his own. Just...ride safe.

·
Radio Active Member
27,706 Posts
Yes the HID is easily seen during the day.

I can re-post the same thing to. :joke:

This or the HID is a huge safety factor in improving your odds of being seen. That's what I say in my "bang for the buck" thread. Improve you headlight, horn and get a brake back off and your safety has increased 10 fold for a minimal investment.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Seems to be a big improvement over the stock headlight. I have seen a few Gold Wings around the area with a system like that. For me. I think I'd go with the HID unit. Either way. Anything you put on your bike to be more visible. Is a great addition to any bike.

G

·
Then why get it if the whole thing is about safety and it stops pulsing at night? Plus a cager might think you are letting him/her in and you get cut off.
Well for one thing, they are illegal at night. The law states that a headlight modulator can only be used during the day. A pulsing headlight at night makes no sense for reasons already stated, you might very well miss something in front of you. That's why most of them have light sensors to turn them off after dark.

But during the day, when your headlight is less visible to others, making it pulse attracts attention to it. It's a sensory thing...has to do with the way our brains process stimuli. The brain deals with a tremendous amount of information coming in from one second to the next, and all that info has to be prioritzed. Constant stimuli (ie. a light source that doesn't change) is pushed aside after a very short period of time. Basically, if something isn't changing, your brain ignores it. Our nervous systems are geared to notice and evaluate stimuli that are in a state of flux, in other words things that are changing...like a blinking light. That's why turn signals blink, if it just came on as a steady light, no one would ever notice them.

I'm a nuclear medicine technologist and have studied this stuff for years...books have been written about it. I've worked in research settings scanning the brain as people are subjected to different stimuli to see how, and if the brain responds to different kinds of input. There's a LOT of data that went into the design of all sorts of safety devices for cars/bikes/etc. based on this kind of research, including the rate at which headlight modulators and turn signals blink. Certain flashing rates work better than others as far as how good they are at getting and holding your attention. Trust me, it's not bull$chit.

Think of it this way...in the summer and the air conditioner kicks on in an otherwise quiet room, you notice it, but after a few minutes your brain tunes it out and you don't pay attention to it anymore...then you notice the change when it shuts off a few minutes later.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I like my HID system only because it helps me see better at night. During the day, I don't think it makes any difference as the cagers still tend to somehow miss seeing me. A flashing light makes a lot of sense. I rode in a group of 9s and the one that stood out was the guy with the headlight modulator. I wish there was a way to have both the HID and the modulator.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep

Seems to be a big improvement over the stock headlight. I have seen a few Gold Wings around the area with a system like that. For me. I think I'd go with the HID unit. Either way. Anything you put on your bike to be more visible. Is a great addition to any bike.
:agree:

I like my HID system only because it helps me see better at night. During the day, I don't think it makes any difference as the cagers still tend to somehow miss seeing me. A flashing light makes a lot of sense. I rode in a group of 9s and the one that stood out was the guy with the headlight modulator. I wish there was a way to have both the HID and the modulator.
:agree: I wish I could have both!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well for one thing, they are illegal at night. The law states that a headlight modulator can only be used during the day. A pulsing headlight at night makes no sense for reasons already stated, you might very well miss something in front of you. That's why most of them have light sensors to turn them off after dark.

But during the day, when your headlight is less visible to others, making it pulse attracts attention to it. It's a sensory thing...has to do with the way our brains process stimuli. The brain deals with a tremendous amount of information coming in from one second to the next, and all that info has to be prioritzed. Constant stimuli (ie. a light source that doesn't change) is pushed aside after a very short period of time. Basically, if something isn't changing, your brain ignores it. Our nervous systems are geared to notice and evaluate stimuli that are in a state of flux, in other words things that are changing...like a blinking light. That's why turn signals blink, if it just came on as a steady light, no one would ever notice them.

I'm a nuclear medicine technologist and have studied this stuff for years...books have been written about it. I've worked in research settings scanning the brain as people are subjected to different stimuli to see how, and if the brain responds to different kinds of input. There's a LOT of data that went into the design of all sorts of safety devices for cars/bikes/etc. based on this kind of research, including the rate at which headlight modulators and turn signals blink. Certain flashing rates work better than others as far as how good they are at getting and holding your attention. Trust me, it's not bull.

Think of it this way...in the summer and the air conditioner kicks on in an otherwise quiet room, you notice it, but after a few minutes your brain tunes it out and you don't pay attention to it anymore...then you notice the change when it shuts off a few minutes later.
:agree: with you and that makes me happy because you are really smart :bigthumbsup:

G

·
:agree: with you and that makes me happy because you are really smart :bigthumbsup:
LOL...not smart enough. I still don't have one on my bike although I keep saying that I'm gonna do it. It's one of those mods that I just never seem to get around to...maybe over the winter. I really have no excuse now that I wrote a novel arguing in favor of their use :joke:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Strobe lights

For me in very happy with the HID kit Ryan installed on my bike in VA, thanks Ryan, its blinding bright, many times im behind cars they will move aside beacuse of the light reflection in there mirrors blinds them, at night, never saw anything brighter. I agree with NUKE and DV about the brain responding differently to the flashing lights, but that modul wont work with the HID, so how about the strobe lights, the white 1s used on the community service and construction trucks, is that legal??

Ride safe all

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.