M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is about cold oil Check! Everybody including myself is having a fit about the Oil check procedure!
I say check it on the side stand with it DEAD cold! just like the book says not screwed in just drop the stick in then pull it out and tell me what you see!!!

You should see Just a drop on the very end ,Not up on it but just on the very tip!
When i first got this bike I had no oil Blow,I ran it 125 mph which is really about 120 mph due to the Speedometer being off by 7 or 8%

After the 600 mile oil change I checked the oil and it was a 1/4 inch up the stick DEAD cold I ran it the other day only up to 100 mph which is closer to 95 and i got oil Blow!

What's the difference in checking a bike like my GSXR 1000 with the sight Glass and seeing the oil in it and it being o,k to ride with it cold and checking the oil in the 109 on the side stand with it cold and it just touching the stick and being right? NADA :confused:

If you think You have the oil correct with the book way then check it cold and it should show you what I'm saying Just a drop on the end!!!

Cause i tell ya'll I'm not gona stand there for 18 minutes every time i want to ride those China guy's are not gona have this RED NECK playing with his Dip stick every time I wana ride,I will give her a five minute warm up then she's gana catch it :D

Just do the cold check for Silentrider and let me know what you see! Thanks for any feed back on this Later Silentrider :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I agree, cold on the side stand just a drop of oil on the end of the dipstick. Never have had any oil blow, changed the oil at 500 miles, refilled with a graduated funnel, checked and got right on the $, next morning, just a drop on the end of the dipstick. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Why would anyone check the oil on the side stand? Do you ride leaning to the left at an extreme angle for prolonged distances? I usually check it with the bike upright and after the bike has warmed up for 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MONTOYA32 It's just were the oil is in that position,I just checked it with the Bike on the side stand with the front wheel Locked! it has nothing to do with riding,Like i wrote above it's a Quick check to make sure the oil is at the right level,I can't see letting the bike run for 18 minutes just to check the oil .when the oil cools off it will be Just a drop on the stick with the bike on the side stand and the wheel in the locked position it's simple!

Just like I wrote above No different than looking at the sight glass on my GSXR and seeing that the oil is in the proper Area,I never Ran my GSXR before checking the oil why in the world would i have to do this bike like that?
So with the oil correct the first time I checked it cold on the side stand wheel locked and it was just touching the very tip of the stick so from then on I used that as a cold check measurement, and I'm asking you guy's to check yours cold to confirm my theory :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ITguy It would only be different if you had the bike in a different position!
I check the bike on the porch which is concrete and Leave! so I get the same measurement every time or it let's me know the oil is low or high,this is the position the bike was in when i checked it with the oil correct,after the 600 mile service I checked the oil same as always and it showed that it was a 1/4 inch up the stick I ran it 95 mph for a little distance and I got oil blow,I'm just asking for you guys to check yours if it's dead on with it cold and tell me were it is on the stick?if this works then why run the motor for 18 minutes just to check the oil,the only time you should check it Hot is right after the oil change then look at it the next day and then on with it cold it should be the same reading every time and if not you know which way to go, I just had to take about 4 ounces out to get it where it was when it was right the first time, Hope this makes since :D so were was your oil ITGUY ???

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Interesting, I'll check that out. As long as it's consistent, we're good. I supose if it was below the stick, you would have to do the formal method to double check exactly how low you might be.
Thanks for the heads up silentrider.
:bigthumbsup:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
i agree, it shouldn't matter where you check the level as long as you have a standard to gauge against. if you know the oil amount is correct in the bike, check it cold in a place where it always sits, in the garage for instance, with the wheel turned to the left. if it always shows oil in the same spot, what would it matter if its been run or not?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10-4 canuk  like anything we need feed back to confirm it but i don't see how it can be wrong unless you put the bike on a unleveled surface or turn the bar to a different position.

I can't see running the bike like that every time you want to go somewere! If it's on the tip let her rip if not bring it up to the tip then let it rip :D :D :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

FEED back Please and thanks :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Actually that is how my wife's SV also states to check it. Cold and through the site glass while on the side stand. It must be a Zooki thing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine reads half way up the patterned area when checked on the side stand with stick just resting in the hole.  Engine is 18 hours cold.  Front wheel locked to the left.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea they really put it on us by not putting a site glass on the 109,But long as it's it the same place which looks like on the tip of the dip stick it's the same just have to pull the stick to see it,I bet there still over there Laughing as us :D :D :D

:D We Got them Crazy American's playing with there dip stick hehehe

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whiteout How fast have you had it going? mine wasn't that high and it blew going approx 95 for a about 30 minutes,i didn't have any problem driving around town only when i hit Interstate 95 doing 95 then it HAPPEN :eek:
My FRIEND AND I THINK YOU GOT TO GET IT UP TO AROUND 95 OR SO TO GET ENOUGH CRANK CASE PRESSURE,OUR THEORY ANYWAY :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
ok; i just checked mine. it's about 1/3 on the gridded area. did my group ride this morning to breakfast ( about 60 miles away) @ about 100-105 most of the way. no oil blow. did our second ride to lunch in Mobile ( about 55 miles) again around 100 most of the way. still no oil blow. i let a friend ride my 109 to breakfast this morning, but he kept up with us while i rode his hayabusa. i rode the 109 myself to lunch. sooooo...... mine's an 07. is there a chance that the 07 is a little different in this respect than the 06? two others in the group were on 109's but are 06's. i just called him and got him to check his oil this way, he said just a drop at the bottom of the stick. have to look careful to even see it. so, :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats the way mine is just a drop on the end and mine is an 07 also RED :D
So far looks like as long as it is on the tip your good to go More input from others here will help but I feel confident when i pull the stick and see it on the tip I'm good to go :bigthumbsup:

MORE FEED Back you guys,We got a good thing going here I feel :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CBXER55 I believe the oil expanse quite a bit with the heat,I never seem to get a good reading doing it buy the book,but with it cold it only can shrink so far and that seems to give me a better reading.I'm not Crazy about the 15 minutes either thats why I'm trying to get every body to check there oil with it cold to see just how reliable this method is :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
350 Posts
silentrider said:
Whiteout How fast have you had it going? mine wasn't that high and it blew going approx 95 for a about 30 minutes,i didn't have any problem driving around town only when i hit Interstate 95 doing 95 then it HAPPEN :eek:
My FRIEND AND I THINK YOU GOT TO GET IT UP TO AROUND 95 OR SO TO GET ENOUGH CRANK CASE PRESSURE,OUR THEORY ANYWAY :bigthumbsup:
I regularly get mine up to 110 - 120 mph, but mostly cruise at 85 -90. I did my first oil change at around 600 miles and now have 2500 on it. Maybe some of us should try to get an accurate measurement of the amount of oil drained on our next change so we can determine how much oil is going to be too much to put back in. Or has this been done?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just had my 4000 mile service and oil change. Checked it cold on it's stand and it is about 3 mm up the pattern on the dip stick when checked by just touching the threads. Looks like this will at east let us know that we have oil in the beast! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
M109's use a dry sump oiling system, much like the new z06 corvette.....chacking oil level with
the side stand method is about as acurate as a rain meter positioned under an awning!!!!
check it the way it's discribed in the owners manual - run it till its fully warmed up - wait 10-15
minutes - stand it straight up and check it .... i have had no problems using this method and my 3
buddies that have m's don't have any problems either......comparing it to a gsxr is like apple and
watermelon.....that doesn't work either.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts