M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my stebel horn today. It freakin rocks! I want to publicly thank Ryan for making those awesome harnesses. I put it in the headlight bucket and as you can see, it's a little involved. But Ryan sent me great instructions and the install went flawless. Thanks again Ryan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Holy shyt, all that disassembly to install the horn? How long did it take?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I think you must have read the directions upside down! You don't need to take all that stuff off just to install your horn!

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To install it in the headlight bucket you have to pull the tank to run the harness under it and you pull the radiator shroud so you can take the bolts out of the radiator and it gives you more room to get big hands back there to unplug the horn. It took me two hours start to finish.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't think it was a big deal really. All of that stuff comes off easily. I thought about putting it behind the side cover to avoid all of that but I wanted it out in front so it would sound louder. :dontknow:

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I didn't think it was a big deal really. All of that stuff comes off easily. I thought about putting it behind the side cover to avoid all of that but I wanted it out in front so it would sound louder. :dontknow:

seriously it doesnt matter where its mounted.....ITS LOUD!! LOL :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
To install it in the headlight bucket you have to pull the tank to run the harness under it and you pull the radiator shroud so you can take the bolts out of the radiator and it gives you more room to get big hands back there to unplug the horn. It took me two hours start to finish.

Correct. The only two pieces you really don't need to take off are both side pieces. The tank will come off without removing them. However, I do take them off to avoid possible damage. I have done 15 stebels or more, and my pile looks just like yours.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Alittle Carnal knowlage is Good some times :congrats:

however a long set of Needle Nose Plyers Will help with that Connector
(at the Horn its self) For any other Guys that may want to try this MOD

Its Not Required to remove the Radiator shroud ,Its just Funner :D

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I installed my stebel horn today. It freakin rocks! I want to publicly thank Ryan for making those awesome harnesses. I put it in the headlight bucket and as you can see, it's a little involved. But Ryan sent me great instructions and the install went flawless. Thanks again Ryan!

Holy Crap, I put mine in the headlight bucket and only took off the tank, just so i could run a lead from the battery...........

Glad you got it in, They are loud, and lil ol ladys still don't have a clue what they just did, but sure know they did something. There is a freight train behind them LOL

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Holy Crap, I put mine in the headlight bucket and only took off the tank, just so i could run a lead from the battery...........

Glad you got it in, They are loud, and lil ol ladys still don't have a clue what they just did, but sure know they did something. There is a freight train behind them LOL
The difference for me is I am anal. I zip tie everything when I run wires. I hate just throwing wires across areas. I run it, snake it through the bottom of the air box, around things and zip tie it in. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct. The only two pieces you really don't need to take off are both side pieces. The tank will come off without removing them. However, I do take them off to avoid possible damage. I have done 15 stebels or more, and my pile looks just like yours.
In hindsight the only thing I didn't need to take off the left side cover. I did have to take off the right side cover because that's where my distribution block is. But like you said it's better to avoid damage.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
:agree: I take them all off also to avoid any damage to any body part. I know some members that just lifted the tank and one that had there child(small hands) reach the horn connection. But people do what they need to do to make it work. Glad to here that you are loving the horn. :bigthumbsup: :welcome: to the HONK club.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
The difference for me is I am anal. I zip tie everything when I run wires. I hate just throwing wires across areas. I run it, snake it through the bottom of the air box, around things and zip tie it in. :bigthumbsup:
Mine is all zip tied as well, That is proper LOL

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Mine is all zip tied as well, That is proper LOL
I wasn't insinuating that yours wasn't. I figured it was since you had the tank off. It was more towards those doing the horn and not taking everything off. The bike is so easy to break down and take off the plastic and tank. Just easy for me. I can have the radiator, neck, tank and side covers off in about 10 minutes.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I wasn't insinuating that yours wasn't. I figured it was since you had the tank off. It was more towards those doing the horn and not taking everything off. The bike is so easy to break down and take off the plastic and tank. Just easy for me. I can have the radiator, neck, tank and side covers off in about 10 minutes.
well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I will give ya a call next time, I will pay air fare one way LOL

PS,,, you can bring that smoked ham wit cha !!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
:congrats: Ant on your install. I installed mine in the side cover a couple of weeks ago and I had the beast strip down also.

:agree:... I'm the same way. I hate having wires showing or loose wires.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad to see I'm not the only one that does it this way. After some of the comments I was wondering how you could do it any other way. But I am particular like you about what I do to my bike and like all the wires run neatly and tied down. It looks like a lot of work but as you said in one of your other posts, all of that stuff comes off easily and it was worth it for me to have a solid clean installation. I have had the radiator shroud off a couple of times but this was the first time I've had the tank and headlight nacelle off and I bet if I did it again I could cut down the time greatly as I got in no hurry this time. Gotta stop to sip on a nice refreshment once in a while. But whatever works for each individual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts