M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 C109R with only 1500 miles on board.
I was at a moto parade (max outside temp: mid 70) and the problem is that suddenly the bike stopped and I couldn't fire it anymore.
I went to my garage and realized that the voltage rectifier is toasted, some blue silicone is melting on the chassis.
I really don't know what to think, I will order another one but is this a general problem? is there somebody who encountered the same problem? thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was your headlight still working? Have you had battery problems?

Something has overloaded it to melt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine went at 450 miles. :confused: The speedometer went to 0 and then the bike just quit. Shop says it's the rectifier. I have seen a couple of other guys who had this problem, but the majority never had an issue. Guess it's just the luck of the draw. But now I am going to be a little leary about going on long trips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was your headlight still working? Have you had battery problems?

Something has overloaded it to melt.
I think so, but what melted it? The bike is new, it had only 100 miles when this happened.
I don't have any additional lights or something installed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
mine did the same thing, I had my bike a little over 24hrs, and only 65miles. dealer said they have never heard of a rectifier going out on a suzuki before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine did the same thing, I had my bike a little over 24hrs, and only 65miles. dealer said they have never heard of a rectifier going out on a suzuki before.
And the solution was? Just change the rectifier? I am looking to put some type of cooler on it, just to keep the temperature down a little bit..

·
Registered
5 Posts
My bike is at the shop after 1 week

My bike quit running with 523 miles and having it less than a week I think it is the same problem. It is at the dealer they have not called me yet to tell me. So I am waiting

·
Registered
242 Posts
There are plenty of riders with well over 10K on their odometers that have not experienced any rectifier problems. This sounds like a manufacturing defect type issue. Bet those rectifiers are made in China. :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There are plenty of riders with well over 10K on their odometers that have not experienced any rectifier problems. This sounds like a manufacturing defect type issue. Bet those rectifiers are made in China. :confused:
They are made in China and mounted on a Japanese bike.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
They are made in China and mounted on a Japanese bike.....
There ya go....The last company I worked for before I got laid off was in electronics manufacturing. There was a power point presentation(with photos) floating around about how the Chinese were taking electronic parts out of recycled junk and repackaging and relabeling it to look like newly manufactured stuff. Wouldn't surprise me if they took diode rectifiers out of recycled electronics, potted them in epoxy and sold them to Suzuki as the good stuff. Seems to be a high failure rate with these rectifier assemblies. After all the problems with "made in China" stuff, that would be my first suspect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rectifier Issue

Not Yet the dealer said 2 weeks on Warranty work I will call them today. Even though it has only been 2 days.Tomorrow I go out of town for 2 weeks I had planned on riding my bike but now I will be driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rectifier prob

G'day Andrei. My 08 C109R did the same at under 1000 kms. Coughed couple times then just stopped dead. Battery was dead flat.:edit: Got it home, charged battery and off to the dealer. Said 'yep they had a bad batch that got thru' It was replaced under warranty.. Six months and 3000k's hot and cold weather with no probs. you gotta luv easy fix problems.:bigthumbsup:
Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rectifier prob

This happen to me, very slow star then the idled very high, I turn it off and I did not want it star any more, I bought it 2009 but it is a 2008 model I only have 4500 miles, So I just bought a new battery, after a 15 days I have the same problem so I took it to the dealer and they say that power rectifier is not charging the battery and it was burn, they order a new on I hope that fix the problem :confused:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Guys, We have the same engine, same stator, same regulator/rectifier. However, our wiring harness is completely different. There have been no reported failures on an M109R. You are better to get your dealers looking at the harness. I am confident that your problem will be found there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
has been nothing but a headache !!

I gought my 08 c109rt in oct. 08. It had problems from the time i got it on the road to go home. It shook and vibrated funny in 4th and 5th. the way the bike is, i didn't know for sure. I thought it might need to go faster. not the case. i checked the oil about 400 miles and it had gas in it. alot of gas in it, enough to choke the engine down and foul both the plugs. I changed the oil and plugs. then in jan. 09 it was running really bad and then the battery kept loosing voltage. I was riding home and the bike died while i was going 70 mph. with no lights on the bike what so ever. i took it to the shop and they had it for 2 months. the rectifier and the stator both burned up and qiut. they were replaced and it hasn't ran very good ever since. it spits and sputters at cruzin speeds in every gear. now it has 5100 miles and i've changed the oil 3 times myself, not counting the services, and 3 sets of plugs. saturday i went for a short ride, stopped at the store, came out and the battery is dead. it had a little power left so i got it push started. yesterday i charged the battery and hhoked up the volt meter, 12.15 volts at the time. cranked the bike and at idle the voltage went to 13.35. i increased the rpm's to see if it changed. for a second it stayed the same, then started dropping somewhat quickly. the higher the rpm's the faster it dropped. when it voltage dropped below 11 volts I shut it off. i charged the battery again and i checked the voltage, without it running, and the key off, i left the meter on the battery and slowly the battery was still loosing voltage. I'm very sick of this, it's been over a year and a half now. what do i do to fix this ? I need help or suggestions, please !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bad regulator

I have had my bike at the dealer for over a month. After 2 weeks they did a simple voltage test at which the highest voltage was 13.31 and tried to tell me my bike was fine. and charge me $90.00 for doing 5 minutes of work. they did not even do a load test on the battery. So I had a long dicussioin with the service manger. ( I worked in a bike shop for 6 years any time a bike like this operates under 13 there is a problem) He agreed to charge the battery this time and do another test. After 45 min on the bench it died. So when they took off the Regulator- Rectifier the back was melted. in addition the battery was bad as well. The Alternator tested ok. The Regulator Rectifier was on back order for a while but now they say they have everthing and Im waiting to for them to get my bike done.
Once i get it back Im installing a voltmeter so I can keep an eye on this issue. I have done some research and the 06-07 m109 has a different reg-rect in it. In addition it is made by a different company. I hoping RICK's will have an aftermarket soon so I can buy a backup I think the REG-RECT or bad for the 08 c109 I will let everyone know when I get my bike

·
Registered
242 Posts
I gought my 08 c109rt in oct. 08. It had problems from the time i got it on the road to go home. It shook and vibrated funny in 4th and 5th. the way the bike is, i didn't know for sure. I thought it might need to go faster. not the case. i checked the oil about 400 miles and it had gas in it. alot of gas in it, enough to choke the engine down and foul both the plugs. I changed the oil and plugs. then in jan. 09 it was running really bad and then the battery kept loosing voltage. I was riding home and the bike died while i was going 70 mph. with no lights on the bike what so ever. i took it to the shop and they had it for 2 months. the rectifier and the stator both burned up and qiut. they were replaced and it hasn't ran very good ever since. it spits and sputters at cruzin speeds in every gear. now it has 5100 miles and i've changed the oil 3 times myself, not counting the services, and 3 sets of plugs. saturday i went for a short ride, stopped at the store, came out and the battery is dead. it had a little power left so i got it push started. yesterday i charged the battery and hhoked up the volt meter, 12.15 volts at the time. cranked the bike and at idle the voltage went to 13.35. i increased the rpm's to see if it changed. for a second it stayed the same, then started dropping somewhat quickly. the higher the rpm's the faster it dropped. when it voltage dropped below 11 volts I shut it off. i charged the battery again and i checked the voltage, without it running, and the key off, i left the meter on the battery and slowly the battery was still loosing voltage. I'm very sick of this, it's been over a year and a half now. what do i do to fix this ? I need help or suggestions, please !!!
Looking at the wiring diagram for the C109 it looks like the only things connected to the battery positive lead when the key is not turned on is the regulator/rectifier. I would try unplugging the connector to the regulator/rectifier from the battery and see if the discharging still happens. Don't start the bike, just see if a fully charged battery still rapidly discharges. If it doesn't with the rectifier unplugged from the battery but does with it connected to the battery, then it may be you got another bad rectifier. If it discharges with the rectifier disconnected then perhaps a harness problem. Either way you may want to try and get some cooperation from Suzuki to have one of their recommended shops look at it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
went dead !

Mine died today while I was out on a ride. I was slowing and when I got down to about 20mph my speedo went nuts and the bike died . she hasn't made a sound since! Dealer said it's under warranty bring her in and they will fix it , for me not to worry ! My bike is a 2008 C 109 RT that I bought new 8 months ago ! She only has 1735 miles on her . Hurts my feelings but dealer seems eager to keep me happy ! We will see ! ???

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine died today while I was out on a ride. I was slowing and when I got down to about 20mph my speedo went nuts and the bike died . she hasn't made a sound since! Dealer said it's under warranty bring her in and they will fix it , for me not to worry ! My bike is a 2008 C 109 RT that I bought new 8 months ago ! She only has 1735 miles on her . Hurts my feelings but dealer seems eager to keep me happy ! We will see ! ???[ Damn you had that Harley haulin ass when I passed you ! ]

1 - 20 of 41 Posts