M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 machine which has bee triked, we have seen various problems which may be due to the trike builders, that withstanding when I lost drive we got trike on stands and when I held drive shaft and pushed it into splin of diff we could turn back wheels, if pushed towards transfer box wheels would not turn, trike builders had left out spring at the diff end of shaft consiquently shaft must have moved in and out and worn thenstarted to spin and wear. i have read threads where people have had similar juddering to me, could be a missing/ worn spring issue ( I know mine was triked but it did lead me to what maybe an issue with bikes too).
Also on the threads about topping up coolant I cone cut a hole in the fairing over the top up tube and put in a12v dc electrical accessory socket with the bottom cut off to give me an access hole with a cover, its still a little fiddly getting bung out of tube but easy to pour in coolant/ anti freeze (could probably exstend original tube to meet my access hole, cap fits tight enough to do away with original bung). Will post pictures of trike some time and also post anything relating to bike half if I think it will help.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,052 Posts
Most of the problems seen here with the driveshaft have been due to lack of grease on the splines on the differential end. Some have rusted so badly the splines stripped, others just have a lot of rust in them.

I'd like to see pics of your trike. I've seen a M109 trike before, but I don't think anyone on here has one.

·
Radio Active Member
27,688 Posts
Most of the problems seen here with the driveshaft have been due to lack of grease on the splines on the differential end. Some have rusted so badly the splines stripped, others just have a lot of rust in them.

I'd like to see pics of your trike. I've seen a M109 trike before, but I don't think anyone on here has one.
:agree: and a few swing arms have cracked near the rear diff.

·
Radio Active Member
27,688 Posts

He has some in this thread Zoom. http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136875

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Yes when i stripped the drive shaft of the diff the rubber seal had perished and their was no sign of grease, in my case I dont think they put any grease back in when they shortened the drive shaft as well as leaving out the spring which sits in the diff, as it was missing I think that having no grease and moving in and out too much it wore the spline out, before it failed you could here a knocking as you pulled off, also you could move the shaft in and out very easily, now Ive re-assembled it with new seal/ grease and spring its fine. I know its different as its a trike but suzuki could forget to put spring in or the spring could fail so thought I would share my experiences. (after reading the tech forum) I thought it might be the clutch judder so that came apart first then the secondary bevel gear, then by chance pulling at the drive shaft revealed the problem. Ive seen a single seat 109 trike on ebay and a trike manufacturer has a single seat design but i dont think there will be any or many three seaters

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I'm just curious.

what does the trike weigh?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what does the trike weigh?
Not sure, I think it is 410KG or less due to that being the weight for an sva test (single vehicle authority) which is the goverment test, and my car licence which I got in 1980 as i don't have a bike licence !

G

·
Not sure, I think it is 410KG or less due to that being the weight for an sva test (single vehicle authority) which is the goverment test, and my car licence which I got in 1980 as i don't have a bike licence !
Don't you have vehicle inspections there? That front tire looks horrible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts