M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know, or have a manual that can tell me if the 109 has a pressure relief valve for starting purposes, Just curious

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
yes, they have automatic compression releases for starting purposes. I have read through the manual but don't have it here at work with me. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Just took a gander at my service manual. It looks like there is something called a "Starter Torque Limiter". Looks like a bunch of sprockets on a shaft. It is supposed to slip if the torque to start is over 22.5-37 ft. lbs. I didn't see anything about a pressure relief valve in the heads though. Hope this helps. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
as I stated earlier there is auto decompression for starting but it may not be what you are thinking. it is not like the valves Harley's run screwed in the head. on page 3-31 of the service manual it shows the setup. It is the same setup Kawasaki used on their KLR 650 single cylinder on/off road bike. I owned one so I was familiar with it. It works off the exhaust cams and holds the exhaust valves slightly open at cranking speed. once started the rpm picks up and the centrifigal force stops the unit from holding the valves open and you have full compression again. I will have to teach Cherry how to read.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
steve j said:
I will have to teach Cherry how to read.
I said "I didn't see anything about a pressure relief valve". I never said there wasn't one. Maybe you're the one that needs to learn how to read, eh? ::) :D

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
no it's you who needs some schooling boy, why in hell did you bring up the starter back torque limiter? it ain't even close son. use your imagination, he was asking about pressure relief during starting and that would be by the compression produced by the pistons. See, it's easy to get there. Oh my, thats right. you have to have an imagination first! :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
steve j said:
no it's you who needs some schooling boy, why in hell did you bring up the starter back torque limiter? it ain't even close son. use your imagination, he was asking about pressure relief during starting and that would be by the compression produced by the pistons. See, it's easy to get there. Oh my, thats right. you have to have an imagination first! :D
Well if you think about it (if that's possible), both mechanisms would have the same effect. To make it easier to crank the engine over. The pressure relief valve makes it easier to crank the engine, the torque limiter makes sure that you aren't using too much torque on the starting system (and therefore putting undue strain on the starter motor). Since I didn't see the relief valve setup during my quick perusal of the service manual I told him about the only thing that I saw that was close to what he was asking about. Sorry I missed the other paragraph about the camshaft decomp. ::)
Peace bro, I'm willing to call a truce. It seems we're just irritating the other members of this forum. Waddya say? ;)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
chucks son said:
thanks for the info, sorry I caused a disagreement :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
Don't worry about it. He just saw an opportunity to try to show that I don't know what I'm talking about. If it wasn't on this thread it would have been on somebody elses thread. Just ignore the guy. ;) :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
BLADE said:
now that I can't hear duelling banjos playing... how much $$ was the service manual?
Umm, I get everything 20% off at my dealer, but I think the retail price of the manual is about $70. Pretty pricey but worth it IMHO. :doorag:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yep 70 bucks is the price I was quoted...didn't hesitate to buy it either :doorag: but of course it's on order :eek:

Devilish

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
$70 shipped through oneidasuzuki.com . never said you did not know anything cherry. just don't understand why you pick apart a service/method I use that works for me, sorry it did not for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts