M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Bought a used 9 couple weeks ago and was eager to start-up my mods. I removed the wheels for powder coating as well as some additional parts. I don't know what I was thinking but a couple days after my bike was all stripped down I though "Maybe I can powder coat these levers to". So being the genius that I am I started to look for a way to remove the level and in the process pumped the front brakes 3 times. After the 3rd time I realized wth I was doing and immediately checked out the front brakes. Both brakes were engaged beyond the point where I can slide the rotors back on the calipers.

Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone know what I will have to do in order to fix this problem? Someone suggested maybe if I start the bike the brakes will release themselves, but I had doubts that the fix was that easy. Will I have to take apart the calipers and brakes? Any input you guys have for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Wedge 2 screwdrivers in between the pads and spread them back apart.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Remove the cover off the brake fluid resvior (?? Spelling) and remove the pads from the caliper. You should be able to compress the caliper piston back into the caliper. You might have to use a small piece of wood and a clamp or something like that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Bought a used 9 couple weeks ago and was eager to start-up my mods. I removed the wheels for powder coating as well as some additional parts. I don't know what I was thinking but a couple days after my bike was all stripped down I though "Maybe I can powder coat these levers to". So being the genius that I am I started to look for a way to remove the level and in the process pumped the front brakes 3 times. After the 3rd time I realized wth I was doing and immediately checked out the front brakes. Both brakes were engaged beyond the point where I can slide the rotors back on the calipers.

Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone know what I will have to do in order to fix this problem? Someone suggested maybe if I start the bike the brakes will release themselves, but I had doubts that the fix was that easy. Will I have to take apart the calipers and brakes? Any input you guys have for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Get a c-clap.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Get a c-clap.
You mean a c-clamp? No room for that to fit. It ain't like a car. There's only 5mm or so of space between the pads unless he removes them. But it should not be needed.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Definitely start with a screw driver. If you can get it between the pads, twist it on each end and they will come apart. If not, there are 2 pins that you need an allen head to undo. Take the pins out and you can then remove the pads. At that point, you can put some wood in and then pry as if the pads were there to separate. Either way, don't even worry about it as it is very easy to solve.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Remove the cover off the brake fluid resvior (?? Spelling) and remove the pads from the caliper. You should be able to compress the caliper piston back into the caliper. You might have to use a small piece of wood and a clamp or something like that.
Been there.................done that! :redfaced: It was quite a few years ago, but with the master cylinder cap off, I was able to quite easily press the pistons/pads back into the caliper. Good luck!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THANKS!!!

Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. I will try the screwdriver technique first, and go from there. I wont be able to try today, but should have some time on Tuesday to go at it. Thanks again. You Guys Rock. Glad to be a part of this forum. :a18:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts