M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I POSTED A QUESTION A FEW DAYS AGO ABOUT AN IDLE PROBLEM I WAS HAVING AFTER FILLING UP MONDAY. I NOW HAVE A FRESH TANK OF 93 OCTANE AND SHE RUNS PERFECT AGAIN. HERE'S WHAT I FOUND OUT...

I SPOKE WITH A BUDDY OF MINE WHO OWNS A GAS STATION ABOUT THE BAD TANK OF GAS I GOT AT EXXON. HE SAID HE WAS VERY SURPRISED IT'S MY FIRST BAD TANK OF GAS. WITH GAS PRICES ABOVE $3.00 A GALLON FOR REGULAR , PEOPLE JUST ARE NOT BUYING PREMIUM. HE SAID HE ONLY HAS HIS PREMIUM FILLED EVERY FOUR MONTHS. HE SAID THE ONLY REASON WHY HE DOES THEN IS FOR THE PLUS 89 OCTANE. AS YOU KNOW, THE PLUS OR 89 OCTANE IS NOT A SEPARATE TANK IN THE GROUND, IT SIMPLY PULLS 50% FROM PREMIUM AND 50% FROM REGULAR. THE MIXTURE OF PREMIUM AND REGULAR GIVE YOU PLUS.

NOT MUCH WE CAN DO TO PROTECT OURSELVES. ONE THING I FAILED TO NOTICE THAT HE HAS SINCE INFORMED ME OF IS...IF YOU START TO PUMP PREMIUM AND IT PUMPS UNUSUALLY SLOW, IT IS PULLING FROM THE VERY BOTTOM OF THAT STORAGE TANK AND YOU WANT TO STOP AND GO TO ANOTHER STATION.

HOPES THIS HELPS AT LEAST ONE PERSON.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Re: PREMIUM BAD GAS IS MORE COMMON THAN YOU THINK...SEE WHAT I LEARNED THE HARD

Thanks for the tips !!!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was in the Harley Dealer yesterday and a customer was complaining about the same thing. The guy at the counter said something to the effect that the ethanol blends in the summer are tough and to try to get gas from Amoco and another brand that maintains a better grade of clean premium.

·
Registered
543 Posts
When I worked in a Refinery I had to do so work in off limit area.Me being the nosie guy I am I open a do not enter door and seen about 100 engines all in neat rows with wires hooked up to them.Before I could take a good look someone appered,and question what was I doing.I said I was looking some equipment to repair.He said its not in their for sure.I said what is all those engines doing.He said those were knock engines and that is how they tell if gas is regular or premium.They must be splitting hairs on this stuff.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The Station has nothing to do with the bad gas. Even BP can have bad gas. its all about volume, and how often the storage tank is turned over (emptied). You can actually get bad gas from the distribution center if they let it sit to long before delivering it to the sations.

·
Registered
122 Posts
:eek: And all this time I thought 87 89 91 were all the same gas just priced differently by the "gas robbers" to make more money and make you think you were getting better octane. :joke: :joke: Just think----you only see one truck filling up those three tanks------I think it is a "Conspiracy Theory"

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hollywood said:
:eek: And all this time I thought 87 89 91 were all the same gas just priced differently by the "gas robbers" to make more money and make you think you were getting better octane. :joke: :joke: Just think----you only see one truck filling up those three tanks------I think it is a "Conspiracy Theory"
That one truck has multiple storage vessels.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
LeeDowney said:
I POSTED A QUESTION A FEW DAYS AGO ABOUT AN IDLE PROBLEM I WAS HAVING AFTER FILLING UP MONDAY. I NOW HAVE A FRESH TANK OF 93 OCTANE AND SHE RUNS PERFECT AGAIN. HERE'S WHAT I FOUND OUT...

I SPOKE WITH A BUDDY OF MINE WHO OWNS A GAS STATION ABOUT THE BAD TANK OF GAS I GOT AT EXXON. HE SAID HE WAS VERY SURPRISED IT'S MY FIRST BAD TANK OF GAS. WITH GAS PRICES ABOVE $3.00 A GALLON FOR REGULAR , PEOPLE JUST ARE NOT BUYING PREMIUM. HE SAID HE ONLY HAS HIS PREMIUM FILLED EVERY FOUR MONTHS. HE SAID THE ONLY REASON WHY HE DOES THEN IS FOR THE PLUS 89 OCTANE. AS YOU KNOW, THE PLUS OR 89 OCTANE IS NOT A SEPARATE TANK IN THE GROUND, IT SIMPLY PULLS 50% FROM PREMIUM AND 50% FROM REGULAR. THE MIXTURE OF PREMIUM AND REGULAR GIVE YOU PLUS.Â

NOT MUCH WE CAN DO TO PROTECT OURSELVES. ONE THING I FAILED TO NOTICE THAT HE HAS SINCE INFORMED ME OF IS...IF YOU START TO PUMP PREMIUM AND IT PUMPS UNUSUALLY SLOW, IT IS PULLING FROM THE VERY BOTTOM OF THAT STORAGE TANK AND YOU WANT TO STOP AND GO TO ANOTHER STATION.

HOPES THIS HELPS AT LEAST ONE PERSON.
Does the 109 require premium, or do you just prefer it?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
Even though you're an Eagles fan, you and I should get along just fine. I can't wait until this NFL season gets under way so I can watch my Redskins on their way to another SB cahmpionship! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
142 Posts
AS YOU KNOW, THE PLUS OR 89 OCTANE IS NOT A SEPARATE TANK IN THE GROUND, IT SIMPLY PULLS 50% FROM PREMIUM AND 50% FROM REGULAR.

Not true. Where did you get this info??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts