M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came in from a little launch control/practice like JR suggested.  I reved it and just let the clutch go............5 feet of rubber & I was gone! :evil: I then short shifted to second gear about 6200 RPMs and I swear I heard scratch.  Not a lot but noticible. :D :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:  That was so much fun, I may have to try/practice some more. :p 

This was my actual first time trying to launch the bike from a dead stop.  I have punched it at idle in 1st gear plenty of times but not from a dead stop.

PS  Sled, you should try it, it is way funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. :bigthumbsup: :clap2: :yikes: :hot: :a18: :2cool: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I used to launch my 1200 Madura, I would burn rubber for a few feet & the front end would lift about 2-4 inches and stay that way through 1st & 2nd gear. I surprised a many crotch rocket with that bike.

My older son is helping me get the bike back in running condition (It sat for 2 years while it was supposed to get painted) by going through the carbs and cleaning everything. We intend to race each other to see which bike is quickest.

My son says the bike he is on will be the bike that wins. :verymad: That sounds like a challenge to me. :D WE will seeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Damn, If I dont start burning that rear tire soon I will be the odd man out!!

Chuck, were you using the no clutch shift into 2nd too??

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sled,

No I just power shifted to second. I used to be a pretty fast shifter in my younger days!  I seem to hit neutral sometimes when I try to use the clutchless shift to second gear.  The clutchless shift to all the other gears has not been a problem, seems to work fine.

Until I learn how to hit second consistently (Clutchless), I will probably power shift while using the clutch from 1st to second gear.

Now there may be some confusion on what I mean by power shift. My definition is not letting up on the throttle (Full throttle shifts) while shifting very quickly so your motor does not have time to rev much from where it is. I shifted all my cars in the old days of the 4 speeds in the same manner. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Chuck

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
it will spin shifting like that into second. I was running around with my buddy (VTXr), we took off from a stop, he got a jump on me and so i nailed it, power shifted to second and actually kicked a little sideways! scared me enought to let off of it. Be safe and have fun!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Chuck said:
I just came in from a little launch control/practice like JR suggested. I reved it and just let the clutch go............
At what RPM ???

I am afraid I will bust something (on the bike) :evil: :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Pr0wl3r-X said:
At what RPM ???

Yes, approximate rpm please. We aren't looking for a scapegoat if we break something.

The heavier the rider, more rpm, right?

I got the front end to lift a little for the first time by accident today. Screwed up the 1-2 shift and gained rpms in between. when I dumped clutch into 2nd to avoid getting hit by the pickup behind me, I wasnt crouched over the tank and she lifted up off the front suspension a little. Boy am I getting to love this bike. There's so much more in it for me to enjoy yet. :evil:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pr0wl3r-X said:
At what RPM ???

I am afraid I will bust something (on the bike)Â :evil:Â :D
I did not rev it at a set RPM, I reved it a few times arround 4000-7000 RPMS and dumped the clutch. I actually did not look at the tack when I dumped it, just went by sound. I'm guessing arround 5,000-5,500 RPMs. The wheel did not go up on me but the bike did pull HARD! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Chuck

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Pr0wl3r-X said:
At what RPM ???

hehehe I already broke something the last time I tried. I used to little RPM's and did not DUMP the clutch fast enough I guess, I was trying to just stand there and smoke the tire. I think I will try that again first as I fear the amount of grip that wheel will have with my fat @$$ on it....
Of course I am also Jonsein to do it...

Sledzep

·
Registered
721 Posts
sledzep01 said:
hehehe I already broke something the last time I tried. I used to little RPM's and did not DUMP the clutch fast enough I guess, I was trying to just stand there and smoke the tire. I think I will try that again first as I fear the amount of grip that wheel will have with my fat @$$ on it....
Of course I am also Jonsein to do it...

Sledzep
Yup, saw your post when it happened... Glad your runnin again : )
But I thought you were just looking to do a burnout?? If so, rev as high as you want. Just make sure the thing don't move until you want it too :bigthumbsup:
What I am looking for is a good launch with minimal rubber left behind, leaving rubber is only wasting time (and rubber) when you wanna leave the light quickly :D

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Pr0wl3r-X said:
Yup, saw your post when it happened... Glad your runnin again : )
But I thought you were just looking to do a burnout?? If so, rev as high as you want. Just make sure the thing don't move until you want it too :bigthumbsup:
What I am looking for is a good launch with minimal rubber left behind, leaving rubber is only wasting time (and rubber) when you wanna leave the light quickly :D
I want to be able to do both. I love leaving a trail of rubber. Possible even more than winning. I wont do the standing still burnout more than a few times. But once I can launch with a stripe of rubber at will.... I will be doing it all the time. I can feel the need in me right now. Then will come the overwhelming desire for wheelies hard against the fear of getting hurt...
I thought I waited long enough for a street bike so that I would not wake these demons....
I think it all changed with JR's wheelie pics. Up till then I thought I bought a bike that would keep the front wheel down...
It's not his fault. I guess the demon never leaves no matter how long you wait.

Sledzep

·
Registered
91 Posts
Never tried this before but sounds like much fun. :bigthumbsup: At launch when you rev her up then drop the clutch do you keep the throttle reved or let it go when you drop the clutch then rev it up again. Just want to get it right before I whip her into shape. :evil:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DAJ90 said:
Never tried this before but sounds like much fun. :bigthumbsup: At launch when you rev her up then drop the clutch do you keep the throttle reved or let it go when you drop the clutch then rev it up again. Just want to get it right before I whip her into shape. :evil:
You punch it as soon as you dump the clutch! Teach that 109 who is boss as JR has stated many times before. :bigthumbsup: :p :doorag:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Once I let the clutch out too fast and rode a 12 o'clock wheelie for two blocks. Now I have a scuffed rear fender :D.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bet that bike is not as heavy as the 109. It will spin the rear tire before it will go into the air. Unless you use JR's wheelie technique.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts