M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removing the side cover is easy, but it's an extra chore to do. When playing with multiple maps and possibly riding and then loading another map, it gets cumbersome. So I made a little cheat and just kept the USB cable plugged into my Power Commander and ran it up to the fuse compartment. It tucks away nicely in there. Then when you want to load a map, you just take the seat off and pull out the cable. Brutally simple but saves time and hassle.

Coiled and stowed.

Ready for plugging to your laptop.

G

·
Just a thought: Would it be a good idea to cover the USB end with something to protect it from the elements, dirt, water, etc??? I think it is a great idea, I just know that after time, it can get pretty ugly under there.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bruno said:
Just a thought: Would it be a good idea to cover the USB end with something to protect it from the elements, dirt, water, etc??? I think it is a great idea, I just know that after time, it can get pretty ugly under there.
Probably. I have a USB plastic end cap that I'm going to put on mine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Don't know if it might act as an antenna and possibly pickup some stray rf causing the programming to glitch. Just a thought. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whiteout said:
Don't know if it might act as an antenna and possibly pickup some stray rf causing the programming to glitch. Just a thought. Time will tell.Â
Valid concern. For reference, I've got 5k miles on the bike with the cable plugged in so far. Haven't suspected anything due to the cable yet. I think it's probably quite remote that inteference or hash could do anything to the Power Commander either in a harmful way or to it's programming. All motors put out hash but it should be in the milivolt region. That's not going to damage the Power Commander USB circuitry, and I doubt it could do anything that would intefere with the processor or the programming. My guess is with the Power Commander designed for engine use, it probably has hash filters on it's I/O anyway.

G

·
whiteout said:
Don't know if it might act as an antenna and possibly pickup some stray rf causing the programming to glitch. Just a thought. Time will tell.Â
He rides to fast for the signals to catch him... :p

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hey Jazzman, How does the other end of the USB cable connect to the PCIII? Is it a micro-USB or standard connection, and is it moisture sealed in some way? Would be a lot less worried about dirt and a lot more worried about moisture leaving the cable plugged in if it wasn't supposed to be.

Given that these are made for motorcycles I'm going to assume when the cable is out its sealed in some fashion, but would just like to see for certain.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another idea for you guys is to put the power commander where the tool pouch went. It seems like they were made for eachother, perfect fit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
chucks son said:
Another idea for you guys is to put the power commander where the tool pouch went. It seems like they were made for eachother, perfect fit.
Yeah, Why you guys putting the actual commander inder the tank. I'm sure there's a way to mount it under the seat.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DaltonH said:
Hey Jazzman, How does the other end of the USB cable connect to the PCIII? Is it a micro-USB or standard connection, and is it moisture sealed in some way? Would be a lot less worried about dirt and a lot more worried about moisture leaving the cable plugged in if it wasn't supposed to be.

Given that these are made for motorcycles I'm going to assume when the cable is out its sealed in some fashion, but would just like to see for certain.

Thanks
The connector at the PCIII end is a micro USB. It fits nice and tight. Probably as good or better than just having the dummy plug on it. Besides, the connector gets wet anyway. Whenever your bike is cold and starts warming up, it's going to have condensation on it/in it, plugged or not. I really don't think it's an issue. If it is long term, I'll let everyone know cause I'm just leaving mine on full time. This is low voltage and digital. It should survive just about anything. I work in television and have 30 + years of live sports television experience. The camera cables stay out in the weather in stadiums full time for years. We plug extremely sophisticated $150,000 dollar cameras up to these weathered camera cables where we apply 140 to 150 volts to power the camera head electronics, and also pass seven bands of multiplexed extremely high frequency digital video and control signals along the same cables. They always work fine. I'm not too worried about this USB connection.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Great minds think alike I did mine before reading this thread and put the slack in the tool box and routed the cable under the plastic frame ( What ever its called)and at the PCIII took silicone and put around it to seal it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts