1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I have a couple of things to help the process.

1) If you pay attention to what you are doing taking the inner airbox/throttle body off is a good idea so you can tighten/replace the hose clamps.
The trick is to lightly lubricate the rubber openings of the airbox before you reinstall it. then POP it goes right on if....

2) leave the clamps between the bottom of the throttle body and the top of the jugs loose, but fully seated so you get a little wiggle room when you are putting the airbox back on.
I did the front (real front) first and then the rear.

3) when the PCIII instructions say this below, cylinder 1 is the REAR jug!! so they mean use the orange for the one closest to you... (left side of bike tilted towards the rear)

Plug the connectors from the PCIII in-line
of the stock injectors and the
stock wiring harness (Fig.C).

Orange - cylinder 1- front
Yellow - cylinder 2 - rear

4) those cheesy sucky cheap wire wrap clamps.... don't actually suck. after messing with them a dozen plus times I realized that they are not meant to be loosened or moved. Just pull the hose off with them in place and push the hose back on the same way. Don't touch the cheesy clamp

5) # 7 on page 6-13 of the actual manual Does NOT need to come off.

6) when it says "Loosen the throttle body clamp screws at the air cleaner side" once this is done you can lift the airbox up and tilt it forward so that you have some room to disconnect the "PAIR lead wire coupler" and the hose. DO NOT remove the hose from where the connector was, instead remove it from the "T" 3 inches away by utilizing the directions in #4 above.

Sledzep

G

·
Isn't that odd? I am now worried mine is installed backwards. Which is cylinder 1! I ASSUMED it was the front not rear as Sled has stated. Sled how do you know it is the rear?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
toneout said:
Isn't that odd? I am now worried mine is installed backwards. Which is cylinder 1! I ASSUMED it was the front not rear as Sled has stated. Sled how do you know it is the rear?
Page 1-7 of the Service Manual under cylinder identification #1 is rear cylinder #2 is the front cylinder.....with photo!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just installed the PCIII yesterday and wanted to add my 2 cents.

Lamonster said you didn't have to remove the big airbox under the tank. Everyone else said that the airbox was a PIA to reinstall. So, I tried to figure out what Lamonster did. Circling the bike after having the tank and side covers off, I thought this was going to be real fun. Especially, after I located the injector plugs and TPS.

Rolled up my sleeves and this is what I did:

Removed the chrome air filter covers from both sides. Piece of cake.
a. Let the breather hoses that plug into the back just hang.

Removed the thick tubes going from the filters to the airbox. Also a piece of cake.
a. They have tightening straps on both ends. The top strap on the tube from the shifter side I took off because of the tight quarters pulling it out. Didn't want to scratch more stuff than I already did before deciding it had to come off.

At this point you should have a pretty good view. There are a few small hoses you may want pull loose for hand clearance. Once you are into it, you will see what I mean. A couple small hoses going to sensors on the airbox and one medium size hose that clamps into the top of the airbox. Very easy to take off.

Looking at my PCIII, I knew that the plugs wouldn't reach both sides of the intake. They were setup to go under the airbox that I didn't take off. I split the coating on the PCIII wires back about 10". Separated the two sides and applied electrical tape to cover the wires again. Once this was done, I was able to route everything just fine. Just a note about the injector plugs. They can be difficult to pull off. Just remember, you need to pinch the top part of the clips pretty good. I used a pair of pliers to squeeze them and slide off. Just don't get carried away and break the clips :) .

If you have gone this far, putting everything back should be simple. Another note on the PCIII ground wire that goes to the negative terminal on the battery. If you already have something grounded on that terminal, you may have difficulty getting the PCIII ground wire on. The screw is very short and the nut it screws into floats. This sounds dumb, but if you look at it, you will see what I mean. I have the maniac mod on it, thats how I know. All I did to get around this was stick something under the nut to hold it up while putting the terminal screw back in.

This was just my interpretation of the install. Opinions vary ( as I have heard many times ). Good luck :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
sledzep01 said:
I have a couple of things to help the process.

1) If you pay attention to what you are doing taking the inner airbox/throttle body off is a good idea so you can tighten/replace the hose clamps.
The trick is to lightly lubricate the rubber openings of the airbox before you reinstall it. then POP it goes right on if....
Thank you for the post!!! I've taken my air box off about 5 times and every time I do it, I spend about 30-40min getting it back on correctly. :redfaced: This is my first street bike that I've tried to do all the maintenance on, and sometime the basic escapes me ::)

Thanks again
:bigthumbsup: :D

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Hey guys... I finally got my PCIII today. I'm looking to install it myself and just had a few questions before I tackled it. About how long does it take to install if you remove the airbox?

Lamont, you said that you don't have to remove the airbox to install it, but you are kinda vague with any details. How do you get to the injectors without removing the airbox? I've never even taken the tank off, so I don't know what it looks like under there. I'm not scared to tackle this, I just wanna know if I will be able to do it in a reasonable amount of time. I'm planning on taking it to work tomorrow and messing with it. I don't wanna have a disassembled bike Sunday morning when I get off though. The instructions say to refer to the service manual to remove the airbox, but I don't have the service manual. Is it something I could figure out by looking at it with a little common sense, or do I need to see the manual?

Also, Sledzep, I'm a bit confused by your two posts (this one and the FI light one). Are you saying that the cylinder closest to the seat is what they're calling the front or Number 1? Is this because it's the injector closest to you when you're looking at the bike from the left side? I don't understand why they would call the rear cylinder the front otherwise.

Can anybody scan the pages of the Service Manual that I would need to install this thing?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Ok well, nevermind. I got impatient and installed it without removing the airbox as Lamont said was possible. I'm actually missing one of the little red splicer clamps, so I can't do anything until I get that last wire connected. I pray I connected the harnesses to the right injectors. Not having the airbox removed made figuring out which harness was which very difficult. I studied the pics and looked for adjacent parts on my bike so I could determine which harness was towards the front of the bike, and which harness was towards the rear. Apparently the pics were taken looking down onto the throttle body as you would look at them from the seat. Then I studied the pic to determine which one they connected the orange harness to, and which one got the yellow. Best I can determine, the yellow harness went on the shifter side closest to the seat, and the orange went to the throttle side toward the front of the bike. Man those clips were a royal pain in the azz to get off in such tight spaces. Also, I realized that the wiring harnesses were designed to be installed with the airbox off, and if you were gonna do it otherwise, you had to cut into the large rubber wire insulation to allow the harnesses to spread farther apart. Then it was a matter of fishing the far one through that extremely tight space around the airbox connection. Man, I just did have enough room to get that orange one connected up front. As soon as I get a replacement red crimp, I'll be up and running. I'm glad I didn't do this at work since I was missing that clip. That would have really sucked bad. Anyway, I'm gonna go back to the dealership and have them give me a crimp from one of the PCIIIs they have in stock. They can worry about ordering a replacement from Dyno.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Wish I could help ya Medic... The guys who dyno'd my bike put my PCIII on for me at no additional charge... (I negotiated that in given I had bought the PCIII from them as well as Dyno time)

I do know from watching them though that they took the airbox out. Watching them do it, it looked like the air box was really no big deal. Probably one of those "Gotta know the tricks" deals.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I initially was going to remove the airbox, but I had the exact same problem as Jazzman had in that the screws that hold the boot onto the throttle bodies wouldn't turn. They would turn maybe a quarter turn and then just stop. From what little I could see, the screws looked bent, just like I Jazzman said about his. I tried to turn harder, but I felt like I was beginning to strip out the screwhead so I stopped. It just didn't seem like it was supposed to be that difficult, so I came in and did a search on airbox removal. That's when I found Jazzman's post http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3836.0 listing his problems. Since Lamont said you didn't need to remove the airbox, I set out to figure out the trick. It was a royal pain in the azz fishing the wiring harnesses from the left side to the right side going under the airbox, but it worked. With a lot of pulling and moving other things, I was able to get them connected. The larger one that connects to the actual injector (or whatever it is) took the longest because I almost didn't give myself enough wire to work with when I cut the large wire cover. Anyway, it's all good now. I just need another red crimp splice so I can tap the second wire into the TPS. Everything else is done. Then it's just a matter of re-installing my airkit to the airbox, putting the tank back on, and replacing the sidepanel. Thanks anyway though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have one question if you install the PCIII did it solve the problem with removing the SET valve when changing the exhaust also, or does the F1 light come on still when you remove the SET valve?

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
WohoSo said:
I have one question if you install the PCIII did it solve the problem with removing the SET valve when changing the exhaust also, or does the F1 light come on still when you remove the SET valve?
The PCIII will just change your fuel mixture. It will have no effect on the FI light coming on as a result of a removed SET.
To solve that problem you have basically 2 choices from what I have seen...

One is to actually pull the SET wire out of the wiring harness that goes into the ECU. There is actually a GREAT how to on this... (Search For SET disable or SET removal)

The second I believe is to make an adapter plate to bolt the SET actuator onto so that the ECU thinks everything is there and working. I believe ppridgen was the one I had seen this from... perhaps hit him up with a PM and he can point you in the right direction.

Edit: Found the thread on pulling the SET wire from the harness ----> http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=995.msg11161#msg11161

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi lamont, I love the web site, Thanks, I really like my Harley eater, I just bought the power commander and replaced my cobra fi2000, did'nt care for it. i have Cobra pipes and want big air. I was talkin to Dalton and he said to wait an get the tornado, Can you tell me what is the best. Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
134 Posts
JUtah said:
The PCIII will just change your fuel mixture. It will have no effect on the FI light coming on as a result of a removed SET.
To solve that problem you have basically 2 choices from what I have seen...

One is to actually pull the SET wire out of the wiring harness that goes into the ECU. There is actually a GREAT how to on this... (Search For SET disable or SET removal)

The second I believe is to make an adapter plate to bolt the SET actuator onto so that the ECU thinks everything is there and working. I believe ppridgen was the one I had seen this from... perhaps hit him up with a PM and he can point you in the right direction.

Edit: Found the thread on pulling the SET wire from the harness ----> http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=995.msg11161#msg11161
Thank you, I had seen both of those, and I was just hoping that the PCIII would solve the problem of doing either. I was thinking that it would not, but wanted to ask and see.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
concerned about the jug confusion, i called Ben at dynojet today. he said that they are not using the suzuki service manual's jug numbers. they are using their own, so you should install them just like their instructions read...

orange - front
yellow - rear

he also said that switching jugs should have no influence whatsoever on the FI light coming on. if you think about it, he's right. it's just changing the fuel/air ratio for that cylinder...nothing else. he said if anyone is having FI light problems because of this, he'd like you to call him at 1-800-992-4993.

so now, since we are all screwed up, if we are using someone else's map, we also need to verify their setup.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
phaed said:
he also said that switching jugs should have no influence whatsoever on the FI light coming on.
Key word being "should". Sledzep installed his backwards and got the FI light. He switched the connectors and the FI light went off. Kinda blows that guy's theory.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
yeah, but either way we need to get it resolved. if anyone has that problem they should call them so dynojet can unscrew themselves if it's their fault.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
phaed said:
yeah, but either way we need to get it resolved. if anyone has that problem they should call them so dynojet can unscrew themselves if it's their fault.
Possibly. That being said, I went solely on the pics in the instructions to figure out which injector got the orange and which one got the yellow. If you look at the injectors and compare them to the ones in the instructions, it don't matter which one is called cylinder 1 and which is called cylinder 2. Still, I guess some people are getting confused, so there should be some clarification on that point. I will admit that trying to figure out which injector was the front one and which was the rear one was quite difficult when not removing the airbox since the pics are taken from above. When not removing the airbox, you're looking at them from the side, so things look different. It could all be fixed if they said, "this one goes on the throttle side injector, and this one goes on the clutch side injector" or something similar.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I just installed mine tonight. I also didn't remove the top airbox but quickly realized that the 2 side airboxes needed to come off. Good thing they are easy to remove. I loosened the clamps at the top of each of the large snorkels rather than at the bottom as those screws were easy to reach. I had a hell of a time locating the injectors though, especially the one on the right side of the bike. The plugs that attach to the injectors are a PITA to remove! You need to get a small screwdriver inserted UNDER each plug to pry away the clip that catches on a small nub on each injector. Both of the injectors were much easier to locate once the respective side air boxes were removed. BTW, the side airboxes are VERY easy to remove, only the big snorkels and one hose to each box and they are off! I attached the connector with the orange wires to the rear cylinder (left side of bike as you sit on it) and the bike fired right up after reassembly with no FI light. I also installed the JSD-3M at the same time. Everything seems to be working just fine. I reluctantly used the vampire clamps to attach to the TPS wires, but they seem to be working fine the first time. This was a much more difficult install than my VTX 1800 was, because on the VTX you just plug right into the output of the ECU and don't have to go hunting around for the injectors. The PCIII comes with the "stock M109" map loaded on it already but there are no maps on the CD so I plugged the PCIII into my computer before installing it on the bike and saved a copy of the stock map. Hope these comments help somebody. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.