M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

This time last year, I took my M109 to a local well respected bike shop. Over that winter (08-09) I had tried to install the Power Commander on the bike myself. Did NOT work. Seemed to have only one cylinder.

Took everything apart, and tried again, following the steps and color photos provided with the unit. Same result.

The local shop has installed many PCIII's and is well versed in mods, as he is an avid racer himself.

He tried several times from scratch himself with the same results. He even ordered another PCIII thinking that I had possibly received a faulty unit.

The new one showed the same results. Only 1 cylinder firing.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this.

Since then I have had the bike tuned with an Osh Box, which with a set of Roadburners and Ram Air, only showed me a 3hp increase to the rear wheel for a total of 108hp.
However, the 13mpg increase in mileage was more than welcome.

Can't help but wonder if the PCIII would give a lot more power.

Any thoughts?
thanks...

·
Radio Active Member
22,679 Posts
First, :welcome: to the forum.

Second, what is an Osh Box? I'm familiar with a Teka tuner that directly programs the ECU, but not an Osh Box. If it tuned it on a dyno and it lets you change the fueling in the same intervals as the PCIII does, I doubt there would be much difference.

I don't have a good suggestion on what to check. Two areas that most folks have problems with are connections to the TPS wire and getting the injector connectors backwards. The rear cylinder is actually the #1 cylinder on the 109. The connectors that crimp onto the TPS wire sometimes don't make contact, or eventually the TPS wire breaks, so most solder them on.

Hope you get it working bro.

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
You about said it all Zoom. But a bad connection at the TPS should not cause one cylinder to die.

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The bike is working great right now anyway, I was just curious if it was worth while to try the Power Commander again.

I actually missed the 'Y' when spelling YOSH Box, from Yoshimura Racing. And from what you say Zoom, it is similar to the Teka tuner. Directly tunes the ECU.

Maybe next winter I'll try it again and see if I can squeeze a little more out of the bike.
Just going to enjoy riding this summer I think.

thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts