M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who here has powdercoated their wheels. I'm getting ready to take mine in......wondering what prep is needed.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I got mine done. No real prep for you other than have the bearings removed and make sure they tape off where the bearings seat into so that you can actually get the bearings back in.

If you already have alot of miles on your rims I'd go ahead and get a new set of bearings.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What color ya getting? I'm thinking about black, with my white pearl 9, think that would look silly?
Going black on mine, black bike.

I like the idea of the white one with black wheels though.. ..

I thought powdercoating these rims in the least would require a bead blast prior to coating....

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
No need to have them bead blasted prior to taking them in?
Well my powdercoater did everything. I dropped off the rims shiny and picked them up black. :D I'm trying to remember if he mentioned anything about bead blasting them. All I know is that he prepped them correctly because that's what he does 6 days a week. I don't think he had to do anything special to the finish on the rims before powdercoating them.

Are you thinking you need to have that done yourself before you drop them off to be painted?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This powedercoater outsources his prep. I can take them someplace do be done, if needed. I was thinking these rims were just cast aluminum, no coating...is that not true?

·
Registered
198 Posts
i have had a ton of stuff powdercoated in the past and they DO bead blast everything unless its bare metal already, its necessary to make sure the finish makes the appropriate bond with your parts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
do you think powdercoated rims would tend to chip while installing tires easy? just curious?:dontknow:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you think powdercoated rims would tend to chip while installing tires easy? just curious?:dontknow:
Powdercoating is a lot tougher than paint. I've had items powdercoated in the past, they have been really resistant to wear.

This shop quoted me $60 per wheel, sounds like I'm going to have to do my own blasting.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Powdercoating is a lot tougher than paint. I've had items powdercoated in the past, they have been really resistant to wear.

This shop quoted me $60 per wheel, sounds like I'm going to have to do my own blasting.
I had mine done in Kansas City and I can't remember the name of the place but it was 100 or 120 (something like that)a wheel and they did everything...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Me to

Im having my wheels powder coated,blue hubs fading out to chrome rims,found a company here in the UK who have patented this procedure Aerocoat,the treatment is called Aeromax,iv been to the factory to take a look and the wheels look fantastic.They beadblast them,then it gets a black coat,then the chrome finish goes on followed with a tough lacquer coat.The finished wheel has a glass finish and its tough as ole boots so no stone chipping or tyre fitting scratches. gonna be having it done this winter....:2excited:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

I had mine done in Kansas City and I can't remember the name of the place but it was 100 or 120 (something like that)a wheel and they did everything...
Here in my City I've been quoted about $50 per rim and that is EVERYTHING done.

I was considering getting it done in Vegas and I believe $75 was the price per rim.

$100-120 seems a little high to me but I guess it depends on how many powder coaters there are in your area, gotta love a monopoly!! ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
dont you have to take all the rubber out of the rear wheel otherwise it will melt when they are bakiing them? or are all the rubber in the rear wheel fine?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts