M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to powder coat my wheels. I love black... Im 99% sure thats what ill get.

1. Any other suggestions on color? Bike is gray. (Pics appreciated)

2. I want the finish to shine, but ive been told that semigloss is better than gloss... again, any suggestions or input? and pros and cons to both the gloss and the semi gloss (Pics of either?)

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Gloss is going to give you the most shine, semi gloss still looks good though. It is all what looks best in your eyes.

You powdercoater will be able to answer your specific questions since he will know exactly how his materials will work with the surface of your wheels.

I went with semi gloss (paint without clearcoat not powdercoating) and it turned out almost flat black since I didn't sand the texture off the rims.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Powdercoat is for tractors and industrial equipment . Take them to a bodyshop and have them painted with a good quality base/clear like PPG and they can get a finish way better then powdercoat, also they can paint your wheels ANY color you can think of. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I painted mine, and with good paint, they will last a while. I cleaned and prepped the chit out of them , then 1 coat primer/sealer, 3 coats acrylic enamel, 3 coats clear, with 1st coat multi colored flake in it. Can't really see it in this light, but when the sun hits them they get pretty colorful LOL. Just do A Great job prepping them and you will be fine.....

You can kinda see the flake in this shot.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Im going to powder coat my wheels. I love black... Im 99% sure thats what ill get.

1. Any other suggestions on color? Bike is gray. (Pics appreciated)

2. I want the finish to shine, but ive been told that semigloss is better than gloss... again, any suggestions or input? and pros and cons to both the gloss and the semi gloss (Pics of either?)

Thanks in advance for the help.
Hey there jjcucio,
I've powder coated many parts on my 83 Venture Royale. Pics in profile I think. :) Anyhow, regarding colour what I would recommend is go to the company doing the work. Ask to see samples of colours that you can actually carry out to the bike. On a sunny day of course cuz that is where allllll the flaws will show. :)
Personally, black is the safest, but if I went that route I would be inclined to have many other things blackened on the lower parts of the bike. It'll give you grounding affect. If you go with a colour... well that will be totally your choice and once you've done that, you will ALWAYS have those that hate it or those who like it and those that sit on the fence. So in this regard, my attitude is who cares. My Bike!!!

Regarding Gloss or semi- I personally went with the highest shine. Gloss. BUT.... one powder coater company WILL produce differing gloss finish from others. Again, go to their shop and ask to see the colour & the two differing glosses. This way, you'll know what you're getting with them.
Hope this helps, and just my 2cents. :)
Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
My bike has (previous owner) a "harley vivid black" powder coat, which is shiny without being glossy. I'm happy with it, very nice

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, i appreciate it. And any numbers for guys in the area please pm me. Im anal about the bike and will look into any information i can get, and the more info the better.

thanks again.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Thanks guys, i appreciate it. And any numbers for guys in the area please pm me. Im anal about the bike and will look into any information i can get, and the more info the better.

thanks again.
You might send bear9 or windycityrider a PM they are both from the Chicago area and might be able to point you in the right direction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts