M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Some leatherlyke aluminum attachment points need to be black.

I've never powder coated and have no equipment. I have eaten powder donuts, but that may not help at all.

Should I just get some spray paint, or is there a cheap way to powder coat?

Are there other alternatives?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
CHROME

Chrome I say! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Waiting on a quote from the only local shop around here.

Any way to get chrome off and powder coat, or just coat over chrome, or any combination there of that was spoken at this time in our space/time frame?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not sure where you are in Houston but I have a guy in Alvin who can answer all your powdercoating questions.

Yourpowdercoatingconnection.com

Tim has some amazing work out there!

As far as pricing, powdercoating wheels start at $80 a wheel on average.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just paint the pieces. I painted the belt guard on my Raider this spring and it's still flat black. Prep it right, tho..

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Powercoating is great, however its a heat process which could damage unprotected internal parts like seals, bearings ect. So pay attention when having it done on any parts.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Powdercoat is more durable than conventional paint.

I agree, it depends on what parts you're having done.

A suitable application is the bike frame for example. Powdercoating does a great job of resisting scratches, like when you remove / replace the gas tank, and bump it against the frame.

Powdercoating will give you the closest look and feel to a factory-applied paint job.

There is an electrostatic process used in powdercoat application, and a heat process used in curing -- something that a motorcycle frame or wheels can handle, but not plastic parts.

Powdercoat is thicker than conventional paint, so you have to be careful that parts with tight tolerance might not fit together again as expected during re-assembly.

If the part you're having powdercoated already has paint on it, then it has to be stripped off first, either by chemicals, or blasting.

Be aware, shops commonly use sandblasting. That's usually ok, but totally unsuitable for engine parts. I've heard that some shops get around this by using crushed walnut shells instead.

While there is no 'powdercoat-in-a-can', paint technology has vastly improved recently, and there are some great products out there. If you chose to do it yourself, just make sure to spend a little more for the professional-grade paint products.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You can powdercoat over chrome, you just need to rough it up a little bit with something. No problems.

You can buy what you need at Harbor Freight, but you also need some kind of oven to bake parts in, which is the real issue for most people. As mentioned, prices are not bad, especially compared to getting something chromed. Small parts the size of your hand should be in the <$5.00 range, wheels maybe $50-75. You do need to take out the seals and bearings and be sure to put the special tape over any surfaces that you do NOT want coated. Getting it off is not fun, don't make that mistake! Be sure and talk to your coater and let him know about areas not to be coated as they will most likely just spray it and whatever is exposed is going to get coated.

Check out industrial places especially if you are getting black or a texture black. Colors that they probably spray every day and will just run yours through on the end of the line. They are looking for jobs in this economy no matter how small. I got 42 parts textured black and they just charged me $2.00 each, but all pretty small parts. If you are looking for specialty colors you might need to find a smaller operator. This place would do mine in any color they had, but would not do any custom colors for me.

For that price I couldn't mess with doing it myself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info all. Hopefully they'll quote me cheap for powder coat. Just the lugs for the Leatherlyke mounts and I'm figuring out the chrome mirrors (extended) still.

Better to have the chrome blasted off or just go over it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts