M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking in all of the input you all had about AZ we have changed our focus on to Texas, specifically Austin.
If any of you can share your likes and dislikes about the area it would be much appreciated.
As I mentioned in the other thread my wife and I are both in our 30's and will probabaly be having our first kid in the next year so good schools are important. We are aware that jobs will pay less than they do here so we're looking at homes in the $120-150k range so we're not living on bread and water.

Can anyone tell me of areas in Austin that we should look at or avoid?
Any help is much appreciated,
Brian

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Only thing i can tell you about Austin is there's a nice twisty near Lago Vista and you wouln't be too far from the three sisters in Kerrville. Also the ROT rally in June each year. But I'm sure some guys from the area will chime in and tell you a little bit more about the area.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Austin is probably the most different town from the Texas norm that there is.

With that being said (I live in San Antonio) it is a neat place, lots to do, see and experience.

The best advice I can offer is to figure out how to stay off I-35 whenever possible unless you like bumper to bumper parking on a regular basis.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
its in Texas... :bigthumbsup: Sorry, parents live in Dallas, its HOT and HUMID down there in the summer... Heard its a nice town.... Give it time someone from the area will post up for ya... p.s. they dont get much snow... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have to agree with WhaleBone's opinion on Austin. I live in San Antonio also, so I am a little bias. Austin is probably the most liberal city in Texas. They are in their own little world. Traffic on I-35 absolutely sux. I'll take the toll road around Austin during the day. There are a few good things about Austin if you like the fast pace life style, after all, it is the home of the University of Texas Longhorns. I guess thats why I like San Antonio better, it is a more laid back life style. But this is just my opinion.

And we do ride year round down here.

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Hey Ghost,
Well like I said before. I have lived in AZ for the past 7 years. I grew up in Texas. From Lubbock, San Antonio, Del Rio, Copperas Cove and Harker Heights. I went through school there from K thru 12th. I can tell you this, compared to the schools in AZ they were way better, but alot tougher. The grading system was completely different.
A = 94-100
B = 86-93
C = 76-85
D = <75
The school really didnt give "F" because they made repeat the damn class if you got a "D" anyway so whats the point. I cna tell you from living just North of there that even though the housing markets have fallen, Austin is one of the most expensive towns there is to live in.

The other thing you will need to know is, there isn't any state tax which is great. But, the state of TX makes up that revenue buy an increase in property tax and other taxes.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hello, Austin is north of me about 70 miles. My wife commutes there about a week or two a month for her employer. It has its night life there on 6th street and work traffic in AM and PM on I-35. Downtown area the housing is old but expensive. Outlying suburbs have nice affordable housing in your price range. Georgetown, Round Rock, Pluegerville,Kyle, Buda to name a few. Hot and humid from about July to late September. Places to go cool off are numerable, Lake Travis, New Braunfels,and area rivers and swim parks. Job market is decent. No State Income tax. New housing will have moderate property taxes due to schools and infrastructure needs. Yes Austin is wierd and tends to lean to the liberal side. Oh and the Hill Country is close by and you will be blown away with the variety of roads to take your bike out on and forget your troubles. Scenery here in this part of Texas will amaze you. I live in the farm country and moved out from Cali 11 years ago. best decision I made besides getting my 9. You will not be disapointed. Texas will grow on you and you will become very proud of her. "Remember the Alamo..............Hope this helps,Craig :welcome:

·
Registered
397 Posts
san antonio or new brunfels better

San Antonio (north side) or New Brunfels is better, housing is a little cheaper and you have the same access to great riding.

Plus Austin is nothing but college students, politicians and liberals. The traffic sucks there. its a good place to visit then leave.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I lived in Austin for six years and now I'm about 45 minutes from there. I guess it depends on what you like. It has a great music scene. And as has been mentioned already lots of cool hilly twisty roads nearby. Lots of things to do. Traffic is horrible! The toll road has made it better if you want to pay tolls. Not a good place for smokers. Smoking is banned in all indoor establishments including bars. Very liberal, environmentally minded community. I enjoyed my time there but for me living near it is better because I can always go visit.
I did buy my nine there at Woods Fun Center. They seem to be real good people but after being on this forum for awhile and reading horror stories, I do all my own maintenance and mods myself. I have a mechanical background and with a little help from my friends here I haven't had any trouble doing anything I've tried so far. Sorry for getting off the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
ATX

ATX is awesome!
I(29yrs) lived here in ATX for about 3yrs, by way of Houston, with my wife(33yrs) and kids.
I absolutely love it waaay better than Houston.
Its laid back, and busy all at the same time.
Its that big city feel in a small city.
ATX is a very outdoors active, running, biking (Lance Armstrong is frm here), and boating to name a few.
Its also like a mini Hollywood, the latest version of Predators was filmed here, Machete, also Grindhouse.

These are my feelings about ATX in a nut shell but if you have more specific questions, just ask.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You can't go wrong with Austin -- regardless of your political or hobbies orientaiton. IMO, is the best of TX cities. YOu can pretty much do whatever you want here. I like the vibe out by Lake Travis -- so you might want to check out living accommodations out there. Good luck, and let us know when you land.

I2D

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like the Round Rock/Cedar Park area. A good friend of my wife lives out there, great place. Plenty to do there and in Austin, plus you can never go wrong floating the Gaudalupe or the Comal. I'm looking forward to some trips on my 109 out there this summer :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts