M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a PM from a guy that talked about adding more boards for things that are talked about or searched for a lot here. That sounds like a good idea but there is an easyer way if you just use this feature. :doorag:

If you start a new post about "wheels" or "pipes" or something like that you can speed up the search and make it much easyer to find if you add these keywords in the little box below the message box that say "Tags".

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
What if there were sub forums like:

Wheels and Tires?

Engine?

Trans and Differential?

Brakes?

Body, paint and frame?

Fuel system, air, and exhaust?

What does everyone think?

I think this would cut down on multiple posts of already answered question and clutter drastically.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless you've admined a board like this you would have no idea how many post I move a day that are posted in the wrong forum. :confused: The "How To" forum is the worst. It would just mean much more work for me. The search works pretty darn good on this board if you use it. :doorag:

Wheels and Tires?

Engine?

Trans and Differential?

Brakes?

Body, paint and frame?

I think this would cut down on multiple posts of already answered question and clutter drastically.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
I am admin in a private section of the forum i sent you. :bigthumbsup:

That forum works great and has over 80,000 members.

You can designate a moderator for each forum and the board will run itself.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I also moderate and own forums myself and can personally vouch for the fact that if you don't have good moderators, you will work yourself to death.

You'd do yourself a huge favor by having a few trusted mods around here.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
I have started, installed, and ran a vbulletin board. It is much more organized, as you grow, to set up different sections and add a moderator or two to help out, Lamont. I am sure you know, but you can give any moderator permissions to do only certain things. So, why not setup a few different sections, as suggested, and get yourself a couple mods to help youi. It would make things much easier to deal with. I personally do web design during the day, and am on the web almost all day, and would be more then willing to donate my time as a moderator to help those sections. Growing pains are growing pains, but it is getting the feedback from the users that make the board work the best. :bigthumbsup:
:agree::bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,706 Posts
Unless you've admined a board like this you would have no idea how many post I move a day that are posted in the wrong forum. :confused: The "How To" forum is the worst. It would just mean much more work for me. The search works pretty darn good on this board if you use it. :doorag:
I would agree with you. There is a lot of stuff posted in the wrong forum quite often. I try to make my thread title with a good key worn in it like you suggested. Thanks for keeping the site maintained Lamont. :bigthumbsup:

But having more folders would really be a great idea. I was going to make a thread organizing certain areas. But with now almost 3 years of threads, it is a TON of work for me to try to paste all of these links.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts

Wheels and Tires?

Engine?

Trans and Differential? CLUTCH?

Brakes?

Body, paint and frame?

In this thread there is a request for customer reviews. If there was a "clutch" related section on this forum I think all clutch question's and such wouldn't even take up 2 pages. To be honest based on what people say of the cycle house clutch I think people would be promoting that clutch in that area and Hal could sell more. Just look at this forum as an example. There are 88,000+ members and all I can say is that organization makes a difference as well as good moderator's. What does it hurt to try something new and proven effective?

G

·
In this thread there is a request for customer reviews. If there was a "clutch" related section on this forum I think all clutch question's and such wouldn't even take up 2 pages. To be honest based on what people say of the cycle house clutch I think people would be promoting that clutch in that area and Hal could sell more. Just look at this forum as an example. There are 88,000+ members and all I can say is that organization makes a difference as well as good moderator's. What does it hurt to try something new and proven effective?
I have thought about this issue for quite a while. At one time I would have been in favor of the different areas. But after seeing how our VTX board has split because of a similar system (VTX1800 vs. VTX1300) I can say that when you divide boards up into so many categories you lose a sense of community. People would only read the sub-topic they are interested in and never pass thru the general board and be able to get a sense of all of the variety of issues that are posted.

And I do think that if the C109 and M90 ever get big we will have created the same problem and people will stay hidden in those forums instead of experiencing the overall community.

Just my opinion.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
And this is what happen's. The board a spoken alot as of latley on this topic and not one response from Lamont. Why don't you try it out and prove all of us wrong?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you do add moderators...please choose those who don't get riled up at the drop of a hat. I saw one forum completely close down over the course of 2 weeks because of bad moderators. They got upset at a single person and deleted his post...this grew into faction vs. faction arguments and the forum didn't survive. Completely ripped apart.

I honestly don't mind either way on the "sub-forums" vs. "no sub-forums" issue. I do agree that there would be a little bit of "community" lost with addes sub-forums.

If you don't believe me...how often do you read all of the state forums? I check the Illinois forum and once in a while the Arkansas forum. Other than that....I don't read any of them. It could be that I'm missing events & conversations that I'd love to take part in...but I don't have the time to read all of the sub forums. Just my $.13 <--inflation

G

·
And this is what happen's. The board a spoken alot as of latley on this topic and not one response from Lamont. Why don't you try it out and prove all of us wrong?
I think Lamont has spoken on this many times and he doesn't want to become a full time M109 board monitor. He is recovering from pneumonia right now after returning from Daytona and is doing as little as he can to try and get better.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
I think Lamont has spoken on this many times and he doesn't want to become a full time M109 board monitor. He is recovering from pneumonia right now after returning from Daytona and is doing as little as he can to try and get better.
That's just my point. Add moderator's and stop trying to be king :edit: all the time and the board will get better.

G

·
If you do add moderators...please choose those who don't get riled up at the drop of a hat. I saw one forum completely close down over the course of 2 weeks because of bad moderators. They got upset at a single person and deleted his post...this grew into faction vs. faction arguments and the forum didn't survive. Completely ripped apart.

I honestly don't mind either way on the "sub-forums" vs. "no sub-forums" issue. I do agree that there would be a little bit of "community" lost with addes sub-forums.

If you don't believe me...how often do you read all of the state forums? I check the Illinois forum and once in a while the Arkansas forum. Other than that....I don't read any of them. It could be that I'm missing events & conversations that I'd love to take part in...but I don't have the time to read all of the sub forums. Just my $.13 <--inflation
We have tried to use other folks as moderators and a small problem always became a big problem and peoples feelings always got hurt.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
We have tried to use other folks as moderators and a small problem always became a big problem and peoples feelings always got hurt.
Can you give an example? Why not let the people pick the moderator's? All moderator's don't need full rein on the board. You can have one or two for each forum topic. How many board's other than Lamont's run effectively on one moderator (dictatorship) Go find something you posted the day before yesterday. Its 3 pages back. Reduce clutter and the board will get better. Does it hurt to try? Are you afraid I'll turn into a hero?

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
I got a PM from a guy that talked about adding more boards for things that are talked about or searched for a lot here. That sounds like a good idea but there is an easyer way if you just use this feature. :doorag:

If you start a new post about "wheels" or "pipes" or something like that you can speed up the search and make it much easyer to find if you add these keywords in the little box below the message box that say "Tags".
Obviously the suggestion hasn't worked why not entertain plan B ? Is that no longer a good idea?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.