M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I finally got around to doing the valve check, at 18k! I think having her down for near on a year after smashing the frame up saved a few more miles on her but dang just getting to the valves was fun and this after pulling the motor out before, I would rather pull the motor again! the book says to pull the valve cover off a certain side, I found they came out easier opposite of what the book said. all valves were in spec, no adjustments required! going back together I found the valve cover seals were designed a## backwards. on my other bikes the seal lip goes into the head, not the valve cover as the 109 does and since the seal has the half moon cam plugs as part of it this makes it real interesting trying to get it seated back into the cover going back on. I used a long thing screwdriver to gently nudge it back into the groove. I threw some new 10 plugs in since I was in there and it all worked out great. took her for a spin afterwards and filled the tank and it ran like a charm, no problems. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow!!! I'm envious!! ;-) I've had my nine for just over two years. Leftover 07 le right out of the crate and I recently broke 3500 miles. Wish I had more time to ride!!! Looks like I'll be scheduled to check my valves in about 20 years or so at this rate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
After rolling through 30k miles on my 07, I checked valve clearance last weekend. The 30k check was exactly the same as the 15k check with the exception of the clearance of both front exhaust valves had increased by .001 in. Nice to see everything still within specs. I can confirm that the valve covers seem to slide out easier in the direction opposite what the manual states.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts