M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All during my short stay in Colorado I started riding with street bike riders and had to change my turning to prevent a low side but also get around the corners quickly so I wouldn't lose site of my riding buddies, <they aren't really that good at slowing down or waiting, and I can get lost in a parking lot>

I found that by using my back pegs I can get my body off the bike and lean it without being stopped by pegs, pipes, shoes or the limits of my tires, I've increased my speed about 10x since I've started this new style of riding but then again others might not, it just works for me. The pic's give you somewhat of an idea what I'm doing but it was a cager taking the pic's and one that likes to stick around the speed limit so getting a really good cut wasn't going to happen. The idea of asking him to “ha you know I really care about you, but do you think you’d mind taking the corners 2” off my bumper going 80-100mph?” I just didn’t think that would go over too well, so I do apologize.

no lean or very little off the bike with the feet on the back pegs: notice the drag on a tam corner.

same grade turn same speed with a small lean (please note I'm not very big so to me getting this far off the bike is a HUGE lean)

have a good one
hb

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I'm an averaged size guy... especially compared to some of the big block ones here (5' 11" 205#). For one of us to get our feet on those back pegs would be, well, a funny thing to watch to say the least. Also, I know the benefit of being able to add a little rear brake right at the entrance of the turn or even during the turn while keeping on the throttle so the suspension isn't disturbed much. I don't like the idea of having my legs folded back that far, unable to brake if needed. This being said, I did try the leaning off the bike to help keep it upright in a corner. It's an awkward feeling, but I did see how it helps. I find that I keep my heels from dragging by sliding my foot up higher on the peg and angling my foot to be more paralled with the road when coming up on a corner I expect to scrape in. This way, only my pegs touch down and it don't pull my foot off the peg. That being said, if it works for you, then by all means go with it. I may try to work on the leaning off the bike some, but it's gonna take more practice. I hit one corner a bit hard like that, and almost ran out of road because I didn't lean the bike enough. I still had plenty of room before dragging, but I was so concentrated on keeping the bike upright that I nearly couldn't lean it when I needed. Again, it's just gonna take some practice. Maybe that's a skill that's above my level... being this is my first bike. I do have over 5K miles on it so far though, and my pegs are screaming for mercy.

Edited to add... Where are your signals?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Medic they fell off :( the lights where to heavy for the setup I had and I didn't add re-enforcements so the holes I put them in broke in 2 and the light was dangling, got stuck in my rear wheel and shattered in 1000 pieces on the freeway and really messed up my tire. when it happened I thought I'd lost a pipe :eek:. It happened a few days back I just need to mount a new set that I already had ordered from direct line.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O ya one more thing on the back break, power sliding through the corners dang your brave I haven't tried that in the mountains, in most cases I tap the front break to set my speed right before the turn, I haven't had to use the back break yet but if I really want to roll and if I can get my pipes up a bit more I might try power sliding the corners next year. I'm going to also have to figure out how to get the riding serface larger on the back tire I'm almost to the walls as it is. O ya I also reset the springs on the pegs to come up a bit easier, I found that with my foot or just it normal there is too much friction and it causes the bike to jump around a bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
man...ive got a zx10r ninja and i lean way way over all the time....i have a feeling if i get this m109r im going to rip my pipes clean off on my first right hand sweeper.....

i dont care about the bottom of my footpegs....

and funny stuff i think firecat needs to buy a second bike like the new 07 honda cbr 600. its got about 120 horses and weighs 341 Lbs. talk about ridin on rails.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firecat, I'll tell you one thing. You do not let that bike intimidate you one bit. You are well on your way to mastering that beast. You go girl ! ! ! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a hot chick. You are too cool. I have friends who are afraid to even take my M for a spin thinking it's too much bike.
How are those risers working out for you?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Fire cat you definetly make full use of that bike, and make it look good, but I think you really need to be pretty small to do the back peg thing. At 6'4" and 300+ I would have to break my legs off at the knees to get in that position and it would probably look like a walrus trying to make love to the bike, think I for one will just grind those pegs down. :eek:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
firecat said:
O ya one more thing on the back break, power sliding through the corners dang your brave
Oh, I'm not power sliding. I just use the back brake if I'm in a curve a little hot. I stay on the throttle to keep the suspension stabilized and prevent if from dumping and really making me scrape. The back tire is not breaking loose. I'm not that stupid or brave or whatever you wanna call it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
ok; i just tried that. not ever doing that again. at 6'2" i'm just not built for that kind of contourtion. thought for a second i was gonna dislocate my hip. that's all you, firecat.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
firecat,

I lean off the bike when in turns like a sport bike rider and it really helps.

By the way, your a cutie..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Firecat is alot more flexible than use stiff guys... I too almost got stuck on the bike trying Firecat riding style... lol

·
Registered
593 Posts
I fell off the damn bike tryin that-luckily it was parked in the garage, thanks for the lesson F/C :read:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ELECTRICZ28 said:
I fell off the damn bike tryin that-luckily it was parked in the garage, thanks for the lesson F/C :read:
:a20: Umm maybe I should say "possibly a new way to turn for small people ;)" next time your in your garage try standing up on the back pegs :D you can see over cars that way :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
593 Posts
firecat said:
:a20: Umm maybe I should say "possibly a new way to turn for small people ;)" next time your in your garage try standing up on the back pegs :D you can see over cars that way :bigthumbsup:
now you tell me :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
itsthatfast said:
What a hot chick. You are too cool. I have friends who are afraid to even take my M for a spin thinking it's too much bike.
How are those risers working out for you?
Haven't got them yet but when they get in I'll post the pic's :D

walker_mufc said:
ok; i just tried that. not ever doing that again. at 6'2" i'm just not built for that kind of contortion. thought for a second i was gonna dislocate my hip. that's all you, firecat.
:a20: :a20:

I'm on the floor this is too funny :D thanks for the laugh I had a bad day until I started reading the responses

·
Registered
775 Posts
glad that our pain, injury, and embarassment could be a source of comfort for you, hun.
that's what we're here for. whenever a cute little beastmaster needs a good laugh; some of us big tough biker guys will hurt or embarass ourselves to accomodate. the worst part is, we're usually very proud of ourselves for doing it. i know i am. now if you'll excuse me i need to take another tylenol.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm not sure this is the best way for me to turn,just used to years of my own style. but hey i was able to stand and ride on those back pegs.46 years old 5'11 190lbs and still 21 no matter what. also found out I could sit on the back seat like this LOL hey gonna have to try some wheelies like this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ya I love sitting on the back of my seat :D I look like I'm laying on the bike :D, also I love standing on the back pegs cars back off real fast :evil: I think some of them might think I'm going to jump off the bike or get blown off I haven't figured out what one.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hwy9Rider said:
man...ive got a zx10r ninja and i lean way way over all the time....i have a feeling if i get this m109r im going to rip my pipes clean off on my first right hand sweeper.....

i dont care about the bottom of my footpegs....

and funny stuff i think firecat needs to buy a second bike like the new 07 honda cbr 600. its got about 120 horses and weighs 341 Lbs. talk about ridin on rails.
Hey Hwy9Rider, there's lots of great corners on Hwy 9 to grind off the pegs, eh? I assume you mean the Santa Cruz Mountains, right? I've ridden that road from Santa Cruz to Saratoga many many times. And of course Skyline Blvd. past Alices Restaurant, etc. I miss those roads! Lived in Fremont, now I'm in Central Oregon. Gonna come down there later this month (in the cage) and hit up In-N-Out Burger first thing. God I miss that place! :p :doorag:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts