M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so need some help from the 109r owners who have encounterd or have idea of my problem \\

so here goes bike is 2007 model with 6000km so 5000miles or so my math isnt the best \\

bike runs good idiles fine has the usual clutch shudder at 3500rpm

but at idle there is kinda a chatter or light knock that happens at idle and once i pull clutch lever in it goes away its kinda a chatter raddle mild knock i have no idea what to think some mechanic told me its not anything crazy and i shouldnt worry to much about it.

i need help so that i dont have some money hungry mechanic try to screw me over i know we cant diagnose my problem via the internet but if anyone has any ideas at all of where to begin or some tests i can preform let me know

i was gonna swap out the clutch to see if that get rid of the problem not sure if there any common problems with noise from clutch or if the clutch noise i think im hearing could be associated with anything else thanks \\

was also told 15-50oil is to thick is that true ?some say they run 20-50 synthetic or non????

thanks

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
The mechanic is right, don't worry about the rattle. The clutch pressure plate has springs in it that fit loosely, and they rattle around when there's no pressure on them. That's why the noise goes away, or mostly goes away, when you pull in the clutch or are under power.

You can take some of the noise away by doing the "Bluey Fix", which is to remove the pressure plate and bend the tabs down to hold the springs tighter. It also adds to wear on the springs and tabs so I leave mine as it is.

I run 20w-50 synthetic in the summer and 10w-40 synthetic in the winter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so beside bending the tabs wich is not ideal there is no real way to fix it ??? cause i have heard a couple of other m109r in parking lots and such and i dont here anynoises on theres . guess i got the lemon ???besides my noise everything else is fine no major issues clutch wise

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
so beside bending the tabs wich is not ideal there is no real way to fix it ??? cause i have heard a couple of other m109r in parking lots and such and i dont here anynoises on theres . guess i got the lemon ???besides my noise everything else is fine no major issues clutch wise
Some are worse then others.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
Some have looked at making spacers to go between the springs and basket to take up the slack, but I don't know of anyone that has done it. Heavier oil may help with it too, but I can still hear it on mine even with the 20w-50 in it.

A louder exhaust helps too. :D

Look at this thread, it has pictures of the clutch pressure plate and how the springs work. Don Julio tells about doing the bluey fix on his too.

Tore into my clutch last week... some interesting findings...

G

·
It's not a lemon...it's just a crappy design that results in a clutch that sounds like you're shaking a mason jar full of nickles at idle. They all rattle to a degree, but no two bikes are gonna sound exactly the same. As Zoom mentioned, the "Bluey Fix" will get rid of some of the noise, but it won't go away entirely...It's rather unlikely that you'l screw anything up doing it. Many, including myself, have done it and put on a lot of miles since (I did mine about 10K miles ago, also replaced the stock clutch plates at the same time), with no ill effects. Although over time, the rattle has gotten a little louder again (but it didn't really quiet down all that much to begin with). Looking at some pictures of what other guys have done, I did not bend the tabs down as far as some guys did, and I haven't opened up the clutch since, so I can't speak to any excessive wear. But the bike shifts nice and smooth...I've accepted the fact that there's probably nothing much that can be done about it beyond a completely redesigned clutch hub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts