M109 Riders banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 M109R, and a couple of times I was getting on the freeway, hard on the throttle, shifting firm, but not super quick. I shift into third, full twist of the throttle, it starts to dig, then pops out like it is in neutral. Pull clutch, shift into 2nd, all is good, shift back into third, pulls good. It has done it twice in the last month.

I have owned a bunch of 80's metric bikes, so I have had my fair share of popping out of second on some abused bikes. But I have never had third go out like this. Is this a weak link I haven't heard about?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Hopefully someone else will chime in. But I have never heard of that happening in 3rd. gear before. 2nd gear is normally the issue with these bikes (if there is an issue). My 07 got to where it would act as if though it was slipping (kinda like if you were riding a bicycle and the chain was trying to jump off the sprocket) if you got on it full throttle in 2nd. But never had any issues with 3rd gear. Good luck finding the issue, and the cure.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I have a 2007 M109R, and a couple of times I was getting on the freeway, hard on the throttle, shifting firm, but not super quick. I shift into third, full twist of the throttle, it starts to dig, then pops out like it is in neutral. Pull clutch, shift into 2nd, all is good, shift back into third, pulls good. It has done it twice in the last month.

I have owned a bunch of 80's metric bikes, so I have had my fair share of popping out of second on some abused bikes. But I have never had third go out like this. Is this a weak link I haven't heard about?
Sounds like you might have a bent shift fork. Others have stated that theirs always popped out of 2nd back into Neutral. Yours is the first I recall it happening in 3rd.

How many miles are on your 9? I would make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly and not pulling on the clutch cable on hard accelerations. But if it is a bent shift fork it will only get worse with time and it isn't a cheap $$$ fix

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds like you might have a bent shift fork. Others have stated that theirs always popped out of 2nd back into Neutral. Yours is the first I recall it happening in 3rd.
I agree here. Usually it is 2nd gear and a worn selector/shift fork.
You can do some simple things first before you get there though. Have a look a the "star" wheel gear selector to see if it is excessively worn or if the detent is weak. You can also pull the shift drum to check it's condition.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 28,000 miles on the bike. I bought the bike 3 years ago from a good friend who only put 13,000 miles on the bike. And for the most part he rode it gingerly. I did replace the clutch cable about a month ago, (original clutch cable, has to be a record). It happened once before the clutch cable replacement, and once after. I am confident the cable is adjusted properly when I replaced it. If it happens after I change the star wheel I guess I will be pulling the engine and tearing it apart. I kind of figured no matter what, that will be the fix. I was hoping someone else had an easy answer. But, as my Dad once told me, "If it has wheels or a skirt, you know it is going to be trouble."

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have 28,000 miles on the bike. I bought the bike 3 years ago from a good friend who only put 13,000 miles on the bike. And for the most part he rode it gingerly. I did replace the clutch cable about a month ago, (original clutch cable, has to be a record).
So how often do these go? I see many talk about it... is there "recommend swap out for preventive maintenance non-issues":

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
So how often do these go? I see many talk about it... is there "recommend swap out for preventive maintenance non-issues":
The clutch doesn't have a recommended replacement mileage/yr to replace. I replaced min at 25k, but I was doing the pin mod as well while I was in there and the tube nut

The cable aren't either, just have to make sure to keep them "routed" and adjusted correctly. Other than that give it a little lube here and there and they should last a long time. I have 30k miles on this cable and don't plan on replacing it for a while. Just check the cable ends as well, they seem to start to fray, which some have caught before it completely broke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts