M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Poor man's 300 project- Completed w/pics

With my last mod for the winter, I am taking the plunge and modifying the rear to put a 300MM tire on. Found a local fabricator that's widening my rim to 10 inches and notching out my swingarm to make room for MAX tire. I saw that RAW DESIGNS does it in their kits (swingarm) so now I dropped off my parts and wait for the fab work. When it's all said and done it should be just under a grand including the tire.

It's done now and the grin on my face is as wide as the rear tire!!!

Additional pics:

:p:p:p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Modded swingarm

This is right off the RAW DESIGN website:

The M109 practically begged for this kit. It fills the fender like Pamela Anderson fills a shirt, but more natural looking.
Kit includes a modified and reinforced stock swingarm, Ultra-Hub, Polished "Smoothie" wheel and Metzler 300 tire. A true BOLT ON KIT. Install it in the morning and have the baddest 109 in the afternoon

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
under $1000 bucks thats awsome. i am very excited to see how your bike turns out. i would love to put a 280 or 300 on my bike but i can't see shelling out $1500 on one rim, and another $1500 for the front. come on it is not that expensive to make a wheel. and even if you buy the repicated 10" rear wheel from DLP the lip of the wheel does not match the front so you have to buy both. as for the swing arm failing, any cast part could fail at any time. i had a wheel that would not hold air. it would go completely flat in a week. turns out it was a bad cast. air bubbles were in the cast making a honey comb section in the wheel. so there could be a breaking point in any cast part so you modifying your swing arm and reinforcing it should be no change. if it is going to break it was going to break anyway. can you send me a break down of the prices. i would like to widen my wheel for a 280 to fit correctly. i currently run a 250 but the bike is so wide it makes that look skinny from the rear. could you imagine if they only put a 200 or 190 on it from the factory.
I'm right there with you, if I had to spend 3K+ to get a 300 on there, it just wouldn't happen... I had thought about just running a 280 on stock rim but didn't like the rolled lip of the tread. So I started doing some searching around and found a metal fabrication shop here in michigan that had done the things I would need. I'm sure if you look around near where you live you can find a place. I had looked at buying new rims but that would have took away from my traveling money!!! The shop is doing my rim now but it will take almost a month, considering it's winter here, there isn't a rush and that's why I waited till now to start this project. The one drawback I see from wheel widening is there will be a weld bead where the metal/lip are added. I figure I will clean it and polish it as best as possible. I have seen polished frames with welds and they don't look bad at all. That is pretty much my only concern. Knowing I had a 240 stock, I added 60mm plus 10mm wiggle room and figured how much I would need on each side then I taped off the swingarm where I would need the cut out at. If you do this take the driveshaft/hub with you so that the welder can make sure the shaft still slides down the swingarm and rotates freely. I've got about a 3 week wait now and it's already hard to sleep!
As for the cost:

Widen wheel: 350-500
mod swingarm 150
300 tire 260
tire mount 35

GRIN ON MY FACE PRICELESS!!!

I will update with more developments...

:p:p:p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Rear lights

:congrats: It looks :bad2thebone: I think if you got rid of those big round turn signal ears, your 300 would look even bigger....:bigthumbsup:
You're right!, But remember this started as a "Poorman's project". I would like some nice little billet lights, if someone has a set at a really good price, please let me know!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Fender mod

What exactly needs to be modified under the fender? I am going with a 10" widened rim / modified swing arm and an Avon 300.

Any pictures available of the underneath of the fender modified and prior to install?
You will need to remove the helmet lock. Here's a photo from another member's 300 kit showing the modded fender:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.