M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Poor man's 300 project- Completed w/pics

With my last mod for the winter, I am taking the plunge and modifying the rear to put a 300MM tire on. Found a local fabricator that's widening my rim to 10 inches and notching out my swingarm to make room for MAX tire. I saw that RAW DESIGNS does it in their kits (swingarm) so now I dropped off my parts and wait for the fab work. When it's all said and done it should be just under a grand including the tire.

It's done now and the grin on my face is as wide as the rear tire!!!

Additional pics:

:p:p:p

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
With my last mod for the winter, I am taking the plunge and modifying the rear to put a 300MM tire on. Found a local fabricator that's widening my rim to 10 inches and notching out my swingarm to make room for MAX tire. I saw that RAW DESIGNS does it in their kits (swingarm) so now I dropped off my parts and wait for the fab work. When it's all said and done it should be just under a grand including the tire.

:p:p:p
You are going to go with a notched out swingarm?!?!?! :eek:

oh, you also have to modify the metal fender to make it work.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
T-Bone©®™;982518 said:
You are going to go with a notched out swingarm?!?!?! :eek:
My thought too..... Doesn't the stock swingarm fail enough as it is? Sounds pretty scary to me.

I thought the Raw Designs unit was steel, so, much stronger and can take the stress of the notch.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
My thought too..... Doesn't the stock swingarm fail enough as it is? Sounds pretty scary to me.

I thought the Raw Designs unit was steel, so, much stronger and can take the stress of the notch.
No, DLP's is steel,,,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Modded swingarm

This is right off the RAW DESIGN website:

The M109 practically begged for this kit. It fills the fender like Pamela Anderson fills a shirt, but more natural looking.
Kit includes a modified and reinforced stock swingarm, Ultra-Hub, Polished "Smoothie" wheel and Metzler 300 tire. A true BOLT ON KIT. Install it in the morning and have the baddest 109 in the afternoon

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
ok,,, that says nothing bro,,, it is a cast aluminum swingarm,,, you figure it out,,,

p.s. I have DLP's "Steel" swingarm.

Cycle House STEEL swingarm for the M109. Will accept a 300 Avon tire on a 10 inch rear wheel. Slight mod to right side of the rear fender is also required. Other wheels will require modification to the manufacturers wheelhubs.
CYCLE HOUSE M109SWABLACK
CYCLE HOUSE M109SWACHROME

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7440&str=290

·
Registered
4,944 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i have the chrome dlp swingarm also and have seen the other one but didnt see any reinforcement. all i saw was a huge notch cut into a factory swingarm that has already had documented cases of failure. something else you may not know is that when the 300 wears out its not just an easy replace the tire. the whole swingarm has to be pulled to get the tire out to change it. pm swatcop and see what he tells you its costing him to get a new tire. according to the dealer book, shop time to pull the swingarm is 4 hours at app. $80/hr (depending on your shop) plus the cost of the tire and labor to mount it. looking at over $600 just to replace the 300 when it wears out.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i have the chrome dlp swingarm also and have seen the other one but didnt see any reinforcement. all i saw was a huge notch cut into a factory swingarm that has already had documented cases of failure. something else you may not know is that when the 300 wears out its not just an easy replace the tire. the whole swingarm has to be pulled to get the tire out to change it. pm swatcop and see what he tells you its costing him to get a new tire. according to the dealer book, shop time to pull the swingarm is 4 hours at app. $80/hr (depending on your shop) plus the cost of the tire and labor to mount it. looking at over $600 just to replace the 300 when it wears out.
Deverandson is right. The Raw Design swing arm is a modified stock aluminum swing arm. It is costing almost $600 to get my tire replaced. The whole swing arm and hub assembly must be dropped and dismantled on the ground just to get the wheel out of the swing arm. If DLP had their steel swing arm available at the time, I would have gone with their kit. Too late now. I would strongly advise going with the DLP kit for several reasons. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The failures on the swing arm have been at the flange, which other than the pivot point will be the highest stress point Notching and reinforcing along the hefty section in the middle would not cause me to lose any sleep.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Deverandson is right. The Raw Design swing arm is a modified stock aluminum swing arm. It is costing almost $600 to get my tire replaced. The whole swing arm and hub assembly must be dropped and dismantled on the ground just to get the wheel out of the swing arm. If DLP had their steel swing arm available at the time, I would have gone with their kit. Too late now. I would strongly advise going with the DLP kit for several reasons. I speak from experience.
Sorry to disagree, but we've done dozens of these. Never a failure, and if you do the research, last I checked there are maybe 2 DOCUMENTED cases of the stock arm failing and those failures occured at the flange where the final drive bolts on. Nowhere near where we make our mod and again, it's reinforced. Can't argue with the zero failure rate.
I'd find a new dealer to replace that tire. There is no reason to treat this any different than a stock setup and absolutely no need to remove the arm.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
nice one mate, good to see some one useing there head instead of there wallet, cant see any issues with the swing arm as long as its done right, also changeing the tyre out wont be that bad..4 hours to pull a swing arm:dontknow:that must mean im fantastic cos i can get mine off in 1 hour, cant wait to see it done, your gunna get a lot of negative feedback fron this post, but dont worry bro, just crack on!!:super::bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.