M109 Rider Forums banner

Comfortable on interstates?

• I avoid interstates whenever possible

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I use interstates during off peak hours, even in metro areas

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I use them outside metro areas

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I use them any time because I'm faster than everything on the interstate.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I use backroads because straight, flat roads are boring.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I prefer roads that wind through scenic places. That's why I don't live in Florida (it sucks)

Votes: 11 27.5%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Rider Survey

I've been thinking of conducting an in-depth survey of our riders to gather data on :

-avg experience (in yrs) of 9 riders

-% of us who have had accidents, and the common circumstances surrounding them like what type of roads they happen on, time of day/night, road conditions, common mistakes, etc..

-what type of riding we do, where, and how often

- what type of roads we're comfortable/uncomfortable with (2 lane, interstate etc)

- road and weather we'll tolerate, and where we all draw the line

etc...

Please contribute your thoughts on what the survey should contain. What subject matter, specific questions or comparative data you'd like to see

I'm compiling a list of survey questions now, and searching for a tool that will gather all this data with multiple options for output.. I'll graph the results when we're done.. I think there will be some valuable insights from a study like this..

feel free to submit questions you think should be a part of the survey

The thread is open for input on the questions and content we all think survey should contain. The poll isn't serious.. just for fun

but for the record, I use interstates. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Watch how you craft your available answers though.

In this question, every answer but the first applied, plus several other that were not on your list.

If you want good data, you must have good input, which you will only get with a good query.

For the query here, a good first question might be; Do you make any effort to avoid interstate highways?

Then a second set:

If yes, the number one reason is:
--speeds are too high
--do not like sharing road with trucks and freeway drivers
--the scenery is not as good as the back roads

If no, when do you choose the freeway:
--Any time one is available to get me to my destination faster
--only during off-peak traffic times
--after dark when I would be more likely to encounter animals on smaller roads

Well established survey science tells us that you can support almost any desired result, conscious or subconscious, just by how your questions are crafted.

JMHO

·
Registered
367 Posts
umm florida doesnt suck at all when it comes to riding

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

In this question, every answer but the first applied, plus several other that were not on your list.

If you want good data, you must have good input, which you will only get with a good query.

For the query here, a good first question might be; Do you make any effort to avoid interstate highways?

Then a second set:

--speeds are too high

Well established survey science tells us that you can support almost any desired result, conscious or subconscious, just by how your questions are crafted.

JMHO
:agree: Yes, this question was more for entertainment than anything else... the data i'm after will hopefully point out some common factors that add up to trouble, plus illuminate some patterns unique to 9 riders.. I hope that I can make it detailed enough to be interesting and useful, but streamlined enough that it's easy to participate.

Perhaps you'd be willing to contribute?

still searching for the right survey tool.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

Then a second set:

--speeds are too high

JMHO
:agree::agree:

I think this thread could be VERY helpful to many riders

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I hate surveys...never send 'em back on anything I buy. I figure I paid my money and got the product, I either like it or I don't. If I like it ...I'll buy another...if not I won't. But this is an opinion survey...however I see no box for my opinion exactly....so here goes. I am comfortable on any road at anytime at any speed( within limits) in most any weather. I have ridden in a hurricane...might pass on that one next time. I hate bumper to bumper traffic in a car....I hate it more on a motorcycle. I do prefer curved roads in mountain or any scenic venue...but you get what you get going and coming from work every day. The two bad accidents I have had on a motorcycle were both on back country roads...heh...six months apart,just got out of one cast and into another one ;) They were both over 40 years ago. I don't much think about accidents or death...I just dress for the slide every time and stay aware. :bigthumbsup: thanks for asking :D

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,758 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts