M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? I am thinking of drilling out baffles on my 109 2008 model year. I really like the looks of the pipes and don't plan at all on replacing with after market pipes. I hate to drill out baffles (2 I hear for 08 model in each pipe ) and then hate the sound .I guess I'm looking for feedback from those who have done it before I leap. I always replaced OEM with after market Kirkers or Vance and Hines , but not this time,,,,,too costly for me. Thanks to any that reply to this thread,,,,I will read all and form my direction after that.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You may want to set up an actual poll as you labeled this a poll, but I doubt you will actually need it.

Drilling is a great approach because you can do it in steps.

Start with a few small holes just in the very outer baffle.

If you want more, more holes.

More, enlarge the holes.

More, repeat on the inner baffle.

More, gut the whole thing.

Because you can run the bike after each hole, you can stop whenever you get to where you want to be.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
You may want to set up an actual poll as you labeled this a poll, but I doubt you will actually need it.

Drilling is a great approach because you can do it in steps.

Start with a few small holes just in the very outer baffle.

If you want more, more holes.

More, enlarge the holes.

More, repeat on the inner baffle.

More, gut the whole thing.

Because you can run the bike after each hole, you can stop whenever you get to where you want to be.
:agree:
:welcome: to the freakshow:D

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I would start off with using a hole saw to drill out the center of the baffles. That way, you still really get the appearance of stock that you are try to achieve with a little more note. And then if you want it deeper/louder then do the holes around the baffle as suggested.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
I drilled out 1 baffle wall in each of mine just to see if I liked it, then drilled out one more in each. It was about the way I wanted it right there. Mine had 3 baffles in each so I left the 3rd, even though most say drilling the last one out really doesn't make it that much louder.

I never drilled the holes around the back plate. I wanted it to appear stock, plus I just don't like all those holes around it.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Ride it!

You can do this in stages as suggested, and I would also add that you need to ride it quite a long way before you will really know if it's right for you. The echo effect of canyons, walls and long hours of riding can be tiring with a too loud exhaust. Personally, just the hole sawed internal baffles is loud enough for me. The 8 holes in the end plate take it to another level.
I made plates to cover the 8 holes, then took them off. After a long ride Sunday, I'm going to put them back on.
I guess it also depends on who you're riding with. My buddy just got a new BMW, and you can't even hear it. His old Harley had open pipes that were deafening.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I did the stages thing. after the baffle centers were cut out ,did the 8 holes. then the eight holes larger sounded even lower and more rumble ,wanted it even lower so with robertmay and she so fine109 helpover pm,s I gutted the rear wall baffle and the gatlin gun baffle the one in the very front is untouched. sounds great some other riders were very surprised how nice and low of a sound it is and wished they hadnt spent the bucks for after market.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
All good suggestions listed above. Just depends on how many holes or how many baffles you want to remove. Take Square Rounders advice and do it little by little if your unsure and test the sound as you go until you get the sound your looking for.

I'm the same as you and have always gone with aftermarket pipes as one of the first mods to my previous bikes. But the M109R stock pipes are the first ones I've ever considered keeping.

This is what I did and I'm very happy with the results. I also drilled out the two remaining baffle centers (you'll need an 18" extension for the last one).

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Have a 07. Drilled out 2 of the 3 baffles in each of my pipes. Nice sound. Wanted a little more. Drilled holes in outer wall. Nicer sound. Now considering the 3" hole saw to completely remove the outer wall and the baffle pipe.

If I do put pipes on my bike, they will most likely be the Cobra sweeps. Think those pipes look great on the 9.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just go for it, you won't be disappointed. Get the extension and read the post on the how to (I imagine if you're like me you've read it numberous times). Drill the hole thru the 2 baffles and then do the 8 holes on the end plate. I actually found it looked better than stock after the holes were drilled since I sprayed the end plate with black heat resistant grill paint. The sound just dropped the stock to a lower octive. Not a whole lot louder, just a deeper growl.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Drill the two baffles and cut out the entire backplate. Sounds great, on a budget...
I cut out the baffles on mine but what do you mean cut the entire backplate?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I did the stages thing. after the baffle centers were cut out ,did the 8 holes. then the eight holes larger sounded even lower and more rumble ,wanted it even lower so with robertmay and she so fine109 helpover pm,s I gutted the rear wall baffle and the gatlin gun baffle the one in the very front is untouched. sounds great some other riders were very surprised how nice and low of a sound it is and wished they hadnt spent the bucks for after market.
:agree: Go at it in stages BUT I ended up gutting the pipes. They sound amazing! The bike sounds flat out mean without sounding harsh.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Don't worry about it being too loud. Drilling out the baffles and putting the 8 half-inch holes in the stock exhaust only makes them slightly louder/deeper sounding. It's not going to change the sound as much as even the most conservative after-market exhaust system.

It DOES improve the sound but not it's going to not be loud enough to piss off the neighbors or anything!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everone who replied.

:p This is why I joined this club .Neat members who go out of thier way to help. Same was true 30 years ago when I was president of local custom van club. I like things cool but not to flashy . Customized my own van and had a ton of fun in show and shines. I will post a pic of bike as soon as my wife paints, (she paints as a hobby )the king cobra on the one up tailpiece and get it cleared. I am doing what several members suggested ,,,,,,Drill out 2 baffles Drill out other 2 baffles drill 4 holes see how it sounds for awhile,,,,,then if needed drill out end piece and the STOP. Thanks again ,,,doing it today :2excited:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would start off with using a hole saw to drill out the center of the baffles. That way, you still really get the appearance of stock that you are try to achieve with a little more note. And then if you want it deeper/louder then do the holes around the baffle as suggested.
I suggest this too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also drilled the baffles, ran it that way for this last season.
Have decided that it isn't good enough though, so I'm looking into changing out to either cobra sweeps or hard crome dual radious. I really like the look of the curve. Hopefully they sound as good as they look. Lol
Anyway, good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts