M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to polish their stock rims? If so, how was the experience and what chemicals, kits etc..... did you use? My local finisher says $400 for both so I'm exploring.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Has anyone tried to polish their stock rims? If so, how was the experience and what chemicals, kits etc..... did you use? My local finisher says $400 for both so I'm exploring.
That's not a terrible price. I paid a little less than that but I bet the shop that did mine wouldn't do another set for less than 400. If I had it to do over I would just save up for chrome.
The hard part about polishing these rims is getting the cast part smooth. It definately takes some time and patience. Alot of guys polish the edges and the smooth part of the spokes and then powdercoat the rest to whatever color they want. There is a really good polishing video in the how to section if I haven't discouraged you too much.:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I used aircraft stripper to strip the coating off my Kawasaki 636 wheels and it turned out like a polished style of wheel. I was wondering if you can strip the coating and polish the wheel out myself.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I caution you on this method.... very dirty and dusty! I warn you so you can think about where you are going to do this. I spent 2 weeks cleaning my garage after I was done!!!!

But the wheels look awesome!!!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I caution you on this method.... very dirty and dusty! I warn you so you can think about where you are going to do this. I spent 2 weeks cleaning my garage after I was done!!!!

But the wheels look awesome!!!
Do them outside. I have old cardboard boxes I lay out on the driveway to do my polishing. But it is a filthy job. Seriously, I could polish something, and then go panhandle for change, and I bet I'd get it!!!

-Josh

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Great video Josh. The wheel looks MUCH better polished. I have the tools just need the polishes. Looks like a good winter project! Thanks for posting this!!
No problem. Be careful and take your time until you get used to the angles and corners of the spokes. At those high rpms, things can get away from you really fast.

-Josh

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ha! I started polishing the front wheel tonight. I came in and the wife commented on how filthy I was. The plan was to buy some rims..but figured I'd polish them and used the $$$ to buy air ride and exhaust.:drool:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hey gottatooz's, how long does a buffing wheel usually last? Mine wheels seem to be taking longer than 4 hours, I'm on the rear wheel now and it seems to be losing effectiveness. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Hey gottatooz's, how long does a buffing wheel usually last? Mine wheels seem to be taking longer than 4 hours, I'm on the rear wheel now and it seems to be losing effectiveness. Cheers.
It really depends on what you're buffing. If it's a lot of smooth surfaces, it seems to last forever. SOmething with a lot of sharp edges seems to wear the pads out faster. What size wheel did you start out with? I use a 10 inch yellow treated airway buff. IT seems to cut through the painted layers faster when it's new because of the larger diameter. Try getting a new buffing wheel if yours is getting worn. Also, post up some pics of your progress.

-Josh

·
Registered
392 Posts
Mine is a white one, about 6-7 inches. Also, I couldn't get the purple bar, they had the white one though, where does that fit in as far as brown/green etc? And yes, I'll get some pics in tomorrow...cheers!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Mine is a white one, about 6-7 inches. Also, I couldn't get the purple bar, they had the white one though, where does that fit in as far as brown/green etc? And yes, I'll get some pics in tomorrow...cheers!
The white pad is a softer pad, mostly used for a final polish. You need a yellow pad to cut through all the top layers. No wonder it's taking you forever to polish your wheels. As for the white bar, it goes Brown, Green and then White. White is often called White Diamond, or a jeweler's rouge. It's a final coat and a very fine rouge. It'll get the job done. But you need a yellow pad to do the job faster.

-Josh

·
Registered
392 Posts
HAHA, ok. I was wondering why it was taking forever!! All I can find here is the white pad, I'll have to check some other trucker garages. If any Canucks know of anywhere to go, please chime in!! I'll grab the white bar as well.

It's supposed to be a 8 beer operation (who am I kidding? 16 beers), but now is turning into a 50 beer op :eek:.

Thanks tattooz's!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Polishing is coming along, painting tonight. Slow going as I don't have the proper buffing wheels. As Gottattooz says....VERY dirty.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts